1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I hate to be that guy, but I need some recommendations

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by gmorel1916, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Shaggy DA

Shaggy DA

Aug 16, 2014
    I couldn't agree more. Though what you're saying of him, he may not care for the blade design too much at first. If he'd actually use it though, he'd more than likely come to fancy it. :)

2. tchapman414

tchapman414

Jan 9, 2014
    This model is on my list to get. The design is remiss of something more traditional, along with having a carbon steel. Great choice!

3. GlockandBalls

GlockandBalls

Jul 30, 2013
    Good to hear your Pops is doing better. Keep in mind that assisted opening knives are a bit difficult to close because there is tension against the blade. Also a liner-lock will open and close more easily than a lockback.

Ontario Rat 1 or 2 (depending on the size you like) is my recommendation. Search this site and youtube reviews and you will see that this is a quality folder for around $30, with a cult-like following. A lot of guys don't recommend it anymore because its been beaten to death and its basically a given that this is an amazing knife, so they try to switch it up a bit. I say stick with what works. These are probably the fastest and smoothest non assisted knives I have ever handled, oh and the most comfortable in hand. There is no wrist action necessary. Just your thumb will make this baby swing out at lightning speed. Your Dad will have no trouble opening this knife. Full flat grind makes it a great slicer. Great ergos and geometry. Also don't be afraid of Taiwan. It's not China. The quality control is very good on these Rat knives. Available in many colors as well and black or satin blade finish.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  4. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Don't count your dad out on modern knife design simply because he is older than you. Trust me on that account.
    I am not a fan of flippers. They can, and do, come open time to time at unwanted moments. Ouch!

As mentioned by others, I would start looking at the Benchmade 707 Sequel. This is a great knife and you can take off the clip if he doesn't like them. Also, the Spyderco Carbon Fiber Chaparral (back lock) and the Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air (beautiful) are two other knives I would give serious thought to. If you really want to push it, a Spyderco Techno would be interesting.
    Of course, the Spyderco Delica is a knife you cannot go wrong with.

5. keroscene

keroscene

Nov 9, 2013
    I personally think he'd like one of the newer Benchmade hunt series folders. They have a classic look w/ modern function. And, one-handed operation is very easy!

6. Furious_Toast

Furious_Toast

Jul 28, 2014
    Like I've seen a few people say, look at the spyderco delica, it's a traditional lock back design with great edc steel and a great feel in the hand

7. Mrbladedude

Mrbladedude

Aug 2, 2010
    I agree. My Sage 1 is very smooth to open. A flipper might be a bit of a jump from a Traditional Slip Joint or whatever your Father is carrying now.

Sage 1, 2 and 3, left to right.

[​IMG]

8. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Have a look at al mar knives. Good looking even somewhat traditional appearance. Love my sere 2000 folder. Has thumbstuds and flicks open lightning fast. Good luck