I have a (GEC) jigging question ...

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Lansky1, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    My GEC collection is rather small, but I've been around this place long enough to see hundreds if not thousands of fantastic examples of bone sided GEC knives... which brings me to my question.

The vintage fans among us have an affinity for the authentic Rogers bone style jigging patterns. It's peculiar that GEC's business model seems to be to bring back, improve or perhaps use old out of production patterns as the idea / foundation for their offerings .... but ... I haven't seen a very good attempt from GEC at trying their hand at recreating the more typical Rogers bone jigging patterns.

They don't even seem to use the typical modern jigging that everybody's familiar with that Case uses (there seems to be a conscious effort to avoid any jigging that remotely resembles modern Case jigging). I guess GEC likes to do their own thing when it comes to jigging. I just think their bone sided knives would be so much more visually appealing with a more vintage type jigging applied ... anybody have any thoughts or intel on why they don't go more vintage with their jigging ?

rockman0 likes this.
  2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    When times weren't so hectic for GEC, Bill made me a small handful of Moose and Stockman knives with his version of Peachseed bone!
    The year was 2011. The knives received a good response that led to more knives with similar jigging! Another request that came out well were the Sailors' rope knives who's handles were like some of the old time jigging. (will show later) Bullwinkle 1.jpg

3. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Sailors' knives from 5 years ago!! Great Jigging!! GEC SFOs 1.jpg GEC SFOs 2.jpg

peanutsxx, ISKRA, meako and 28 others like this.
  4. HotGuts

HotGuts Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2016
    I thought some examples of the 38 Special in Indian Paintbrush from 2017 got pretty close to the look of Rogers. I was hoping for one with that style, as I like it, too, but mine had a more picked look. Hopefully someone else with a red 38 can give a better example.
    [​IMG]

meako, knowtracks, 315 and 1 other person like this.
  5. balor85

balor85 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 23, 2015
    They did a good job with the jigging on the JBF Champlin #85's as well as on Charlie's rope knives. Both are excellent examples of vintage inspired jigged bone imho.
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, ISKRA, meako and 14 others like this.
  6. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Leave it to Charlie to whet a persons appetite...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

meako, waynorth and Jack Black like this.
  7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2016
    With every bone release, people here say something along the lines of, “I hope it has the Rope Knife jigging.” I think the question on everyone’s mind is “why don’t they do that jigging more often?”

8. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    The moose, teardrop and the sailors knives all came out great and are reminiscent of older jigging IMO :thumbsup:

Dave

9. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
  10. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    We all have different taste. I dont mind new or old if it appeals to my eyes. Think these two are a good representation of what I like. GEC does a heck of a job with most of their bone. Variety is the spice of life and the rarity at which they produce some of them keeps us wanting for more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, ISKRA, meako and 13 others like this.
  11. Anothername

Anothername Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2017
    My uneducated guess would be maybe some jigging styles cost more or may be more time consuming? All I know is I want more of this jigging![​IMG]
    Although I've been quite pleased with most of their jigging, but some really are outstanding!

peanutsxx, ISKRA, meako and 10 others like this.
  12. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    the right light always helps:
    [​IMG]

Lansky1, peanutsxx, ISKRA and 12 others like this.
  13. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I like the big wide jigged blood red bone they do. Some of my favorite from gec.

14. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    That’s the kind of jigging I’d love to see on a Scout knife!!

knowtracks, waynorth and Anothername like this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    waynorth likes this.
  16. Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown

May 22, 2011
    The Rope Knife and peach seed jigging are as good as it gets, and like others I'd love to see more of those. The jigging on the Waynorth Lamb Foot knives was also excellent. There's a connection among those three...

This is an area Case often gets really right these days--the chestnut and whiskey bone in particular are usually beautifully done.

One thing I've wondered is if GEC does all their jigging in house, or do they source some or all of it from outside? Does anyone know this?

17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    GEC jigs and dyes their bone in house!! They are quite proud of the whole process!!:cool:
    Thanks for mentioning the Lambfoot Jigging @Cooter Brown!!

18. Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown

May 22, 2011
    Thanks, Charlie. I suspected that was the case, but had heard otherwise from a less reliable source than you.

I got one of the 86s with Autumn Gold Herringbone, which is sort of the opposite of the random jigging on the Rope Knife, but I really grew to like the looks of it once I got it in hand, and it has a great feel when the knife is in use. The color is nice, too.

19. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    For those unfamiliar with Rogers bone, here are a couple of examples.

[​IMG]

20. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    I like bone jigging that has that slight wavy look and feel to it. Somebody on Blade Forums told me that is was Rogers jigging. My three GEC#48 mini slim trappers have that wavy bone style jigging. My 2019 #92 Elderberry Eureka jack has that slight wavy jigging. My Charlie Waynorth #93 Lambsfoot and the #93 Northfield Ramsfoot have superb jigging. I like a jigging , if your eyes are closed you can still recognize the jigging style. I want Cougar Clawed jigged bone on the #23 Trappers coming up. The OKCA member knives will be in Antique jigged bone with the Beaver shield. I'll receive my club knife after April 18th. Bill Howard does a super job on club knives. I am expecting 2020 to be another great year from GEC. I spotted a Shrade-GEC automatic #23 frame on Facebook today. I wish GEC would make a batch of those. I have no #23s in my collection , I am ready to go fool.