1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I Made Some Hammer Technique Videos

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Rick Marchand, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Hey Folks

I made a short 3 part series discussing and demonstrating my current(ever evolving) hammer technique. It's main focus is on ergonomics... stance, stroke, angles, etc...

I hope you can get through them all without cringing. Comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. viral

viral

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm gonna watch all of these in the morning while drinking my coffee! I'm already excited. I need techniques!

3. 629hugo

629hugo

Feb 10, 2013
    Awesome. I'm slowly building my forge right now. Thanks for making these.

4. East Branch Knives

East Branch Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2014
    Rick, these vids are great. I like your stance/grip. I played drums for a number of years and I find myself using a similar grip b/c it kind of reflects how I'd hold my drumsticks and use my wrists when I played. It gives it a more nuanced feel and I get better hammer control that way.

-Mike

5. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks. I am drummer of almost 30yrs, myself. The Hofi method is very similar to the Moeller Technique in drumming(minus the multiple bounce... lol). I had no trouble picking it up as it already felt natural to me.

6. viral

viral

Jan 20, 2013
    I watched your videos. I liked them a lot and I'm glad you made them. I like having a reference to go to now. Much appreciation. :thumbup:

mitch4ging likes this.
  7. MJV

MJV

Apr 27, 2011
    Great vids Rick. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

8. East Branch Knives

East Branch Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2014
    Rick, I had to look up both the Hofi method and the Moeller technique; their similarities are pretty interesting. When I first started forging I tried my best approximate a "traditional" hammer stroke, and quickly developed tennis elbow. I switched to my current style initially just as a way to do some light practice while the TE was clearing up. But it ended up feeling a lot more natural and kept the TE at bay so I just stuck with it, and resolved myself to using "improper" technique. I was actually a left-handed drummer who played a right-handed kit (i.e., I used my left hand on the HH, right hand on snare, arms uncrossed) so doing things the "wrong" way was something I was used to.

btw, did you make those hammers?

9. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    ...no chicks?

Wtf.

Nice work, bro. Need to get my forte area back up and alive, and yur vids did nothing but get the pot stewin'.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  10. Living The Dream

Living The Dream

Feb 20, 2016
    old thread. videos show no longer available on youtube. would like to see them

11. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    The links are broken... but the addresses are still good. I'll see if I can reenter them.

12. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Hey Rick, thanks for fixing the links! Awesome videos!

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  13. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Exactly what I need. Anyway to do a video on how you set up your post anvil? Gonna grab a 5x5x5 chunk of steel next month and I think your set up is the best I've seen. Anyway thanks for the hammer technique!

14. knoxknives

knoxknives

Jun 4, 2017
    Hey Rick,

I just watched your videos, they are great. I just ordered a 4x4x4 post anvil and will need to mount it to something. I noticed your post anvil setup is higher than traditional, are you happy with it? is it a few inches below waistline, or? would you change anything about it overall?

15. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    I am still most comfortable on my post anvil for bladesmithing. If I stand up straight and lay the hammer down on its side(on the face of the anvil) with the handle pointing at me, it is just below my belt buckle. In my "ready" stance, the handle hits my belt buckle.

16. knoxknives

knoxknives

Jun 4, 2017
    thanks very much Rick, I will try to duplicate that height