1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

I see a tonne of EDC threads...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Whitlashflash, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Whitlashflash

Whitlashflash

Aug 28, 2011
    ... I know you guys have had enough of these really, but I want to know what you carry and WHY.

What line of work are you in? Do you carry for self defense? Or primarily cutting ropes/ties and the like.
    Do you carry more than one knife? if so, why?

I have my CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) and choose to carry my G.I. M1911 for self defense.
    Up until today I had been carrying a small Jeff White trade knife on my belt for basic chores at work ( Opening delivery packages, mainly).

2. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    EDC right now? Vic Classic.

I cut things with it. And file hangnails. And pick my teeth.

Helped a damsel coworker in distress with a sliver a couple days ago by lending her my Classic's VicTactiTweezers!

And nobody at work freaked when I pulled out the Classic. Go figure. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. j3jymann

j3jymann

Mar 6, 2008
    When I'm working I normally cary a cheaper knife, rat1, tenacious as my main knife, because they're work horses, good for what I need them and cheap enough to be work knives.
    A pair of Gerber multitool pliers that belonged to my father in the back pocket for sentimental reasons and for the pliers and screwdrivers
    And last but not least a box cutter by craftsman for lending out to people (I work as a decorator for a convention company so we have a lot of ill-prepared exhibitors that need to open boxes and won't hesitate to use a borrowed blade as a screwdriver) because I don't have to worry about idiots damaging the edge and craftsman was the only locking boxcutter I found without irritating blade wobble.

4. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Very rare I carry anything over 2 inches in blade size. I just don't have a use for that in my suburban life style. My Vic classic is always on my keyring, and does get used a lot. In my pocket is either my Case damascus peanut or a Vic Bantam. If I head out to the woods or canoe camping, I'll add a sheath knife on my hip, but that's it. For urban and suburban use a small pen knife is all I carry. I don't look on a knife as a weapon, there's just too many better choices in tools for that role. A knife is a piss poor weapon at best, and a knife fight is where one the winner goes to the hospital and the looser goes to the morgue, maybe.

Carl.

5. mammoth29

mammoth29

Aug 19, 2011
    I know I am fairly new here, but thought I would put in my two-cents. I carry a SOG Twitch II and love it for EDC. It is sharp and can do almost anything I need while not taking up my entire pocket. I work at a power plant and live in an agricultural area and I have yet to find anything in my life that the Twitch can't take care of.

6. VTguy17

VTguy17 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Always have a small folder in my pocket for various tasks. Always have a small fixed and large fixed blade knife in my backpack that goes everywhere with me. I also carry a pistol everywhere I go. Here in Vermont you do not need a permit to carry a concealed handgun (if your not a felon and legally allowed to own a pistol you can carry it concealed no permit needed, I love this state) however I do have permits for other various states that I spend time in so I always have a pistol and a couple blades with with me. Which one? Well that greatly depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, but anything from a 9mm glock to a .44 mag can apply.

7. eccvets

eccvets Banned BANNED

Sep 8, 2008
    some times my nails and teeth are not strong enuf to get thru stuff so I use my edc for those things.

every try bitting thru 1/4 inch of nylon? its a bitch!

8. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I carry some combination of the following:

Folder: BM Ritter Griptilian, still trying to source some custom grips for it. Spyderco Stag Arms Manix 2. Zero Tolerance 0350.
    Fixed Blade: BK11 with custom scales. Bark River Bravo Necker 2 (got this one on the back of my belt right now).

I carry primarily for utility. Thinking about picking up another Leatherman Wave. I loved mine, but it got stolen, and I never got around to replacing it. I don't carry for SD, because honestly, in all the SD situations I've gotten into (fortunately not too many), fists and feet did a fine job of settling things without making the situation more serious by pulling a weapon. I'd really rather not kill someone if I don't have to, or risk getting killed myself.

9. SilverFoxKnows

SilverFoxKnows

Sep 25, 2002
    I work at a private universiy in the suburban sprawl of southern California. I open the odd box from Staples or Office Depot, maybe a mylar bag from UPS or FedEx. Cut a stray thread. Open the shrink wrap on a DVD or PS3 game. Open a bag of cat food. Nothing heavy. Even my yearly camping trip is car camping with a bunch of couple, mostly city folk in our 30s. To that end a stockman is what rides in my pocket every day, a 3 & 3/8" Hen & Rooster, in carbon steel and stag. It's big enough tso handle 90% of my day to day tasks without scaring my co-workers or sitting like a brick in my pocket. It's nice but not so expensive I couldn't replace it with the next paycheck. If I lost it I'd go back to carrying my old Boker or if I was feeling jaunty I'd get a medium Case in chestnut bone & CV.

Frank

10. nokia

nokia

Sep 3, 2007
    I am a superintendent at a Cemetery and work along side the funeral home that owns the cemetery. I usually carry a case sodbuster and a Milwaukee razor knife. sometimes i will carry a cold steel voyager, i usually switch about once every couple months or so, just depends on the mood. sometimes i only carry a box cutter with me and leave the sodbuster or the cs voyager in the car or the box at home. I use my knife to cut boxes, tape, trim weedeater cord, cut sod(haha, sodbuster), trim grass on markers, trim back some bushes or overhanging tree branches, or many other various tasks. carry a colt huntsman 22lr in the glove box for SD, dont have a CCW, which is required in GA, but you can have one in your glove box.

@SilverFox My brother got an Uncle Henry from my grandfather after he passed away a few years back (grandmother gave us all one of his knives for christmas). He tossed it in my box of knives...so I picked it up one day and edc'd that thing for a year before he figured out what knife it was and took it back from me :( but for some odd reason your post reminded me of that knife.

11. Johnny Numbers

Johnny Numbers

Jan 23, 2010
    I'm a licensed plumber working in commercial construction.

My only true EDC that I carry as my "work" knife is an Ontario Rat 1, and it is pretty beat up. I also carry a slip joint as well which is usually one of four choices...a Buck 303, Schrade Uncle Henry stockman, Schrade Old Timer Jack or my trusty Case penknife.

I recently drank the Strider Kool-Aid and have a PT on the way. When that Strider gets here, my Rat is going in the drawer and that PT is going to work with me.

On weekends or days off, my carry preferences drastically change. I will carry one of several different locking folders (ZT0551, 0350, 0200, Spydie Para2 or one of my Kershaws) and of course...a slip joint in my other pocket which is usually one of my GEC's.

I carry for utility and I have no desire to get into a knife fight. Let's just say...if I need a knife, I have two to choose from. I'll leave it at that.

12. ono724

ono724

Jul 17, 2010
    My EDC gets used for a variety of things. Stripping wire, Cutting weed block fabric, Cutting braided hose, cutting down cardboard, just to name a few. Lately I've been switching between my ZT0350, Kershaw Rake, and Kershaw Crown.

13. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    I carry a larger type folder in my right hand pocket, and a second knife, medium sized slipjoint, in my left pocket. There is also a Leatherman Juice 2 in my wallet. Wallet has an outside pouch and the Juice is a perfect fit. Why do I carry what I do?; The slipjoint I carry, a 4 bladed canoe pattern today, will take care of my normal daily workload. The larger folder, today is a Fallkniven PXL, is there to use should something come up the other cannot handle, but mainly there because I like having something that is unique, and finely built, to carry. Sometimes I use the right pocket knife to cut something my slippy could have taken care of just to be able to use it. The Leatherman comes in handy with it's tools.

14. Lord Bear

Lord Bear

Dec 28, 2009
    Truer words were never said.
    Retail. Tons of dollar stuff. Pallets of cardboard. Lately I've gravitated to smaller and lighter folders that can really hold an edge. Spyderco's classy Caly3 ZDP convinced me.
    Edit: On the point of self defense as mentioned in the OP...hmmm. I'm almost tempted to say I'd rather depend on my nails and teeth...But naw. I'm civilized. I'd rather natter the devil down. :D

15. Goatsfoot

Goatsfoot

Mar 8, 2010
    I am a sheet metal worker and do commercial and industrial construction. My G.E.C. cattle rancher does everything I need in day to day life. For the messier things I have an Izula, plan on making leather sheath for back pocket carry, and custom scales.

16. Bishop2Queen's6

Bishop2Queen's6

Jun 8, 2011
    I usually rock a ZT 200, 350, or 500 clipped to my pocket, and a Vic Pioneer for EDC.

Main use if daily chores at work like opening boxes, or cutting rope.

17. TheFelland

TheFelland

Mar 17, 2011
    I work as a cashier at a local groccery store and when im not there i work as an resident firefighter/emt. my everyday carry no matter what is a leatherman skeletool. i use it to cut through boxes as well as open medical supplies. i like the fact that its small and i can open it with one hand and the fact that it has a pocket clip.

18. bada61265

bada61265

Oct 16, 2010
    so u saw a ton of edc threads and decided one more couldnt hurt ? :barf:

oh well.. yea i work and need to cut stuff. have a fair assortment of folders for work and play. all are locking and havnt used a slip joint in years. Enjoy a good selection of knife steels and keeping them razor sharp, not only because they work better that way. but because they impress better that way too, no matter how butt ugly your knife is if it cuts like a laser it will impress.

19. aznpos531

aznpos531 I like sharp and pointy things...

Dec 12, 2010
    I live in Canada where it's illegal to defend yourself :)rolleyes:) so, no my EDC isn't for self-defense. I use my main blade for opening boxes and cutting treatment table paper at work. My Vic Cadet is for making sure my nails are smooth so as to not injury my patient during treatments. The other tools in the Cadet come in handy as well for various things.

20. ThePharce

ThePharce

Sep 16, 2010
    I carry because sometimes I need to cut things...while several of my edcs would be more than adequate for self defense and I've gotten some training for that purpose, if I have to use a knife for that purpose it likely means that I've fired through 2 magazines and the fit has really hit the shan.....