I Tested the Edge Retention of 48 Steels

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, May 1, 2020.

1. John mc c

John mc c KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 23, 2018
    Thank you for your effort for this and all your articles larrin

DevinT and Larrin like this.
  2. Tim Pollack

Tim Pollack

Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you for all your hard work and info.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    DevinT and Larrin like this.
  3. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    @Larrin my understanding is that you developed your 9 or 10 parameter formula prior to recording the data. The r-squared is already very good, but perhaps you can play with refining the coefficients now that you have all the data.

I especially like the toughness vs edge retention plots. One of my favorites, 3V, is nice and far from the origin. It seems to be within a factor of two on edge retention, compared with the champ Rex 121, yet is several times tougher.

Thanks again for all your work.

DevinT likes this.
  4. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Thank you @Larrin, incredible work!!!

DevinT, Larrin and Willie71 like this.
  5. eric brinkerhoff

eric brinkerhoff

Mar 10, 2013
    That is really something right there.

Willie71, DevinT and Larrin like this.
  6. eric brinkerhoff

eric brinkerhoff

Mar 10, 2013
    I cannot see how knifemakers and buyers alike would'nt benefit from this...

Larrin, Willie71 and DevinT like this.
  7. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Larrin, your site is a phenomenal technical resource. Thank you for providing it free of charge. I am slowly reading through it and trying to put pieces of knowledge together.

I feel as though it should now or soon be possible to make a calculation of overall performance potential, hinted at by statements such as the one about toughness that razor-edge-knives quoted. What I mean is something like this:

What static stress As and shock Ak does application A put on an edge? Given steel X properly heat treated to hardness H, what edge thickness and angle Et and Ea are needed to withstand As and Ak? What is the expected CARTA performance of a blade of X at (H, Et, Ea)?

Sorry if that is poorly phrased but I hope you get the gist. Can that be done?

8. Joel Collier

Joel Collier

Apr 21, 2020
    Very fascinating and informative. Thanks for putting in the effort to do this experiment.

9. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    To some extent, yes. You can calculate stresses applied to different geometries and compare that to material properties. The more complex the question the more difficult it is. I can do some simple modeling but more complex 3D simulations require computational modeling.

Willie71 and Mr.Wizard like this.