I think I'm gonna bail.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by PocketEdge, Mar 3, 2012.

1. PocketEdge

PocketEdge

Dec 23, 2008
    I have been lookin at those white owls by GEC and trying to decide to bail or not to bail. I just ordered one without in Kryptonite acrylic but I really like the Northfields with thier beautiful woods and traditional old time look. I have carried a SAK with a bail and kinda liked it, but functionally, it got in the way when I used the screwdriver. I think they look great on the Owls and Conductors!

I know lots of people don't care for them but I know some of you do! (I hope!?)

So to all out there who actually carry a knife with a bail, could you please tell us how you carry it?
    Do you attach a lanyard or a fob? Do you just leave it there? How do you carry it? Did it sort of grow on you? Do you have pictures?

I'm looking for bail success stories!!!

2. CAD

CAD

Jan 11, 2006
    Don't have one... so I'm gonna bail on you! :p

Chris D. :D

3. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
  4. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    We used to go fishing almost every weekend and I was always using my SAK for something and generally where it would go in the drink if I dropped it and you can bet your, "Sweet Bippy" that I always had a lanyard on it!!! :D
    And the lanyard did save its "SB" many, many, times!:thumbup: :eek: :D

5. OzarkCreekWalker

OzarkCreekWalker

Jul 25, 2011
    Bail! Get a Victorinox belt hanger (or an old BSA one), a chain or paracord, and a quick release. Put it all together and voila - your knife is attatched to your person. I would sure hate to lose such a nice knife.

6. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I have an old BSA belt-hanger I use sometimes. Just hook the bail into the clip.

7. PocketEdge

PocketEdge

Dec 23, 2008
    Bob W, Nice choice! I would love to see a photo of your knife. It seems so far, that a quick release of some kind is the answer. Looking forward to hearing from other bailers!

8. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    I love bails, while they aren't for everbody I find them to give knives a great nostalgic look. Here's a pic of a GEC #33 Northfield Conductor in burnt stag with a bail.

[​IMG]

9. Thalestin

Thalestin

Jul 20, 2006
    I got the white owl in snakewood. I have the Wenger SI, and really enjoy the bail. I find they are fun to play with. I don't really use them for attaching, but I could if needed. Heres a picture:

[​IMG]

10. BRL

BRL

Apr 27, 2011
    GEC Conductor with a bail. Clip the bail to a P7, clip to pocket edge, it hangs vertically. Easy to deploy, doesn't print as a knife, doesn't fall out, out of the way if I want to reach in my pocket. Also have a Gerber shard on that same P7 so I can pry and handle screws.

[​IMG]

I'm so pleased with how this has worked out, at least in an office setting, that I don't see myself going forward buying any more slipjoints without a bail or at least a lanyard hole. Still on the hunt for a slipjoint for the woods (if only GEC made a muskrat with bail). It will have to have a bail or a lanyard hole, for sure.

11. hawaiianhawk

hawaiianhawk

Dec 25, 2009
    My old Camillus electrician's knife has a bail. I added a loop of leather lace to it that helps pull the knife up out of the bottom of my pocket. Plus I just think the bail is cool and I like leather.