If given the chance, what knife company would you work for and what changes would you make....>

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by serpico69, Feb 3, 2021.

1. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I’d most like to work for Spyderco because I love their stuff and they seem very genuine and friendly. I wouldn't change anything though. If it were a company that I wanted to make changes it would be ZT. I would ditch most of the slippery smooth scales in favor of grippy G10 and micarta, try some different locks, make more fixed blades, and use tougher steels like M4, Cruwear, AEB L, etc.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  2. Silvanus

Silvanus Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2012
    I’d work for Emerson.

I’d definitely cut down on the more outdoor focused knives in the lineup. Emerson knives are sold out on pretty much every online retailer with the exception of the outdoor focused knives like the Appalachian, Market Skinner, and Rendezvous. Emerson began as a tactical knife maker and that’s what his fans, myself included, love about the brand.

I’d also bring back some of the discontinued models that are still in high demand on the secondary market. Models like the Super Roadhouse, UBR Commander, Micro Commander, and Super CQC-15. I’d also put the XHD line into regular production. Even if it was a 3-4 drops a year I know they would sell out every time.

Lastly, I’d add the ability to order dedicated left handed versions of the most popular models. The CQC-7 and Commander are already available in lefty but I’d add the CQC-8, CQC-15, and A-100 to the list.

stevekolt likes this.
  3. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Be kinda stupid to get rid of some their best sellers ! :confused:

4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    You forgot the :rolleyes: , or were you serious ? :confused:

5. Numerouno

Numerouno

Aug 20, 2020
    Cold Steel. I would embrace my role as head of the Mall Ninjas. Have a different krambit/dart/spike/bat for every day of the month. Prob even put a chain on my wallet.

6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Don't trust me; read the reviews. They knocked that one out of the park.

7. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I've heard many complaints about the pocket clip.

8. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    I concur with what’s being said of CRKT...
    So provided I had the power in the company to make such changes I would definitely focus on QC and maybe upgrading materials.....

It’s hard for me to understand why they couldn’t use a better steel than D2 on their $200 Morpho
    (Although not quite as bad as a $400 Medford :) )

I might also add that if I was one of the many very skilled designers/makers
    That they work with I would be pushing for my knife to be made to better specs and if those needs couldn’t be met I would probably pass on even letting them produce it. Though I’m sure the $ must be tempting....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  9. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Hard to say. Works for me IWB or in a pocket but if it's thick material 2 hands are needed to replace for sure.

10. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I’d work for Beretta just to get a discount on their shotguns

ArchVV, Pomsbz and Billy The Hungry like this.
  11. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Grimsmo knives.. I'd get a more conventional blade on their Norseman model.

kobold and Zookie like this.
  12. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Columbia River Knife & Tool, mainly nostalgia because they were the company I found when I got tired of buying $20 Mtech cheapos.

I would suggest improving heat treat quality and consistency. Kershaw gets very average edge holding out of their alphabet soup steels, which proves it's possible.

The other thing I see is that they're over-extended. They're trying to introduce products for EDC, and woodscraft/hunting at the same time, and I wonder if this is where some of their quality control problems are coming from.

Other than that, I want to work there so I have access to CNC machinery for my own experiments. :D

Zookie likes this.
  13. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Then film a video of you swinging your wallet around said chain like a medieval flail as you defend yourself from pig carcasses and cardboard terrorists. Strongest, sharpest chains in the world.

14. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    My other choice would be to take over Ganzo, then file for chapter 11 and go out of buisness :D

Zookie likes this.
  15. I think working with TRM to get what they need to increase production capacity would be a benefit to the industry.

16. Un-Chained

Un-Chained Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2021
    GEC
    I would have a bail & chain implemented on all production runs going forward... for obvious reasons :D

17. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Victorinox.

First I'd get rid of the super annoying keyring stub that sticks up and jabs the palm of your hand on the alox models, and go back to the hollow rivet and Bail like on the Wenger SI.

Then add a cadet X to the line up.

But most of all, get rid of/ditch the cheap red 'celidor' plastic scale and replace with either nylon like on the military models, or FRN. Any color can be moulded in and you'd have scales that won't crack or break off so easy.

Shrub, BITEME, lonestar1979 and 2 others like this.
  18. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I stand beside it. Can you imagine how cool an updated Leek would be with a lower riding tip-up pocket clip and KVT? I probably wouldn't feel so strongly if there was at least an option to deassist, most don't have a functioning detent.

Lots of knives these days are less about function than they are about making sales. It's a sad reality.

rje58 likes this.
  19. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    CPK, and wouldn't change a damn thing!:D

Icky Thump likes this.
  20. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I'm interested to hear what @serpico69 thoughts are since he started this topic.