If you could only carry one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by robertj298, Feb 2, 2021.

1. huntnfishin

huntnfishin Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2009
    Wow a yellow ten dot 1970. That’s a nice one. Love the 18s and yes you are definitely prepared!

2. huntnfishin

May 16, 2009
    Is that third from the left Appaloosa? Another 1970! Sorry to hijack on the thread but wow what a cool collection of 18s!!!

Storm 8593 and Old Hunter like this.
  3. mcc850

mcc850 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I love to hear why people love certain knives. Thanks for sharing that! Again, beautiful collection of case stockmen you have there.

Storm 8593 and Old Hunter like this.
  4. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Thank you gents for the kind remarks and compliments. Just a point of accuracy, the knives in my picture run from 1975 (far left) to 2015 (far right). They are arranged chronologically from left to right, oldest to newest. The ten dots I own (three of them I think) are all from 1980. OH

peanutsxx, Storm 8593 and huntnfishin like this.
  5. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I'm very fond of canoes (and of stag), so something like this is one I'd definitely consider:
    mohawk.mark.main.jpg
    But a spear/pen blade combo seems quite limited for the only knife I'd have. :(:thumbsdown:

I'm also a big fan of stockman patterns, especially sowbelly stockmans (and stag), so something like this would certainly be in the running:
    stag.sow.mark.closed.jpg
    The clip/spey/sheepsfoot blade combo obviously beats out the canoe, and the sowbelly has almost sunk joints, too!

But, as many others have noted previously, from a versatility standpoint, it's hard to ignore some kind of SAK. I'd probably go with an Alox Electrician with spear/sheepsfoot blade combo, an awl, and a flathead screwdriver/bottle opener:
    electrician.rock.jpg
    Yep, if I can have only one knife, I'd go with a scout knife.

In fact, I've made this decision before in an earlier thread, and my heart says this is really my final decision:
    - GT

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    peanutsxx, Riz!, Aryan29 and 11 others like this.
  6. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Greg, Beautiful canoe! For me, one take away from this discussion - why are some of my best knives still NOS? Carried the 6318 today, first one I ever bought, first time it has ever been carried. Felt good to have it in my pocket. Didn’t cut anything of significance but it was ready - needs a bit of edge work, has the original factory edge, okay but no cigar! OH
    [​IMG]

7. huntnfishin

May 16, 2009
    love the 6318! A classic favorite.

8. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I love dozens of kinds of folding and fixed blade knives but if I could only have ONE knife I would have to pick a fixed blade that could do everything. Not everything well, but everything. I can't say that about ANY folding knife.
    5-7 RMK001.jpg rmk1.jpg

paulhilborn, Riz!, Aryan29 and 12 others like this.
  9. pholder

pholder

Feb 16, 2005
    buck 301

JSutter, Aryan29, mbkr and 3 others like this.
  10. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    My taste has swung a little over the years but currently it’s also improved trapper. Followed closely by mediumish size stockman especially if I can get a wharncliff and pen blade in it.
    This is the one that’s been in my pocket more often than not lately.
    1576BA06-BA24-4A94-B447-491FD816F40C.jpeg

11. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Very nice Randall you have Cal, what model number is it? I have one quite similar and have dressed one deer with it, its been several years, but I remember it being an excellent skinner. OH

12. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Tough question!

If I could only have one, it would be a tough choice between a Buck 301 stockman or a SAK pioneer. I've got too many years use from each one in many weird situations and parts of the world to discount either of them. They are my two favorite go-to pocket knives. I guess I'd drop them both in a hat, shake up the hat and reach in and see witch one I touch first. :confused:

JSutter, seas165, Storm 8593 and 6 others like this.
  13. robertj298

robertj298

Mar 7, 2014
    I've thought the same thing. If you've never carried them how do you know they're your best? They may fall apart if you carry them and use them after a year or so lol

Old Hunter likes this.
  14. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I'd have a hard time choosing between the 1306 or the 1303. The 1306 is a pattern ready for anything in my opinion and it would come down to the size..the 1306 isn't too bad in the pocket but the 1303 disappears being 3 7/8". The full-size in the pic is made by Tom Ploppert and the 3/4 size by Mike Zscherny. PXL_20210207_175505276~2_resize_96.jpg

15. garddogg56

garddogg56

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanx Bruce:)and I am starting to be with you on the 18 pattern but it's hard to put down the Buck 303 or the Schrade 34ot.

seas165 and Old Hunter like this.
  16. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    I want a GEC texas cattle knife or texas whittler. That would be the one

17. Surprised that the choice was so easy for many...

But it didn't even require any internal debate for me either.

One pattern?

The 86.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoa!

Just noticed how much darker the micarta has gotten with use...

:cool:

18. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    To be perfectly honest, as much as I'd like to say peanut, or one of my double ended jacks(half whittler or wharncliffe modded muskrat), what it'd end up being if I had to carry just one pattern, would be a stockman. Probably a medium/3.5"~3-7/8", and with a punch/awl instead of the spey.

mcc850, mbkr and christusvictor like this.
  19. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Tough choice but if only one....I'd choose a stockman pattern for me :thumbsup:

My head says SAK Compact but my heart says stockman.

Ice Tigre and Tx308 like this.
  20. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator

Apr 7, 2008
    Tough choice, as I really like my large Trapper. But if only one, it would be my clasp Hunter. It can handle most any cutting task. I like the blade length, grind, good size handle, 2 blades and a lanyard hole.. DM
    20210215_175742.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Storm 8593, JohnDF, Aryan29 and 4 others like this.