If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by VicAlox74, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    A few years ago an old friend I have hunted with over a lifetime that was dying from scleroderma that I took to Dr. appointments and the hospital brought out a Beretta 96 INOX one day to show me and I thought the sights were pretty good. Then he said, "step out back in the sunlight and tell me what you think." They were horrible! Reflective surfaces and cataracts are not very compatible.

2. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  3. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    The Pioneer is slowly becoming a favorite for me..;) Waiting on a green one!!!:D
    John

4. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    This has been an interesting thread - I'm going to go back through it again. I like reading thought exercises such as this.

For me, it would be a Pioneer, but it's blade is long enough to be in the "dangerous weapon" prohibited realm for federal properties. To have something I could have with me the most places, the blade would have to be less than 2.5 inches. So probably a small Tinker. Although I could probably be happy with the Alox Cadet.

5. Brian_in_indiana

Brian_in_indiana

Aug 15, 2020
    I carried a black Spartan for years as a boy scout and young naval sailor. It got lost and I never replaced it.
    I've been thinking of re-entering the Vic world with a Handyman, between tweaking stuff on the manufacturing line I support and chores on the farm, it looks like it covers all the bases.
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  6. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Brian, I don’t think you could go wrong with a Handyman at all. I’d be curious to see if you’d change your mind after a few months and pick a different model based on tool set?

7. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    The Electrician.
    [​IMG]
    I like having that small secondary blade

8. Brian_in_indiana

Brian_in_indiana

Aug 15, 2020
    I'm a bit concerned about how thick it'll be, keep kicking around the idea of a deluxe tinker instead....

Hairy Clipper likes this.
  9. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Always a trade off with Vics, tool variety vs. thickness. Just thought I'd point out many people carry the thicker models clip to their belt. Victorinox makes excellent leather belt pouches in several sizes. Something to consider for the larger SAKs! BTW, welcome to the Forum Brian! -James

jackknife, jmh33, Storm 8593 and 2 others like this.
  10. Brian_in_indiana

Brian_in_indiana

Aug 15, 2020
    Thanks for the warm welcome, looks like agreat forum with a wealth of friendly information and discussion.
    Also definitely going to ditch the toothpick and swap in the Firefly ferro rod.
    Between the handyman and my Mora Basic, I think I would have everything that doesn't require an axe covered.

11. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    For in pocket carry, two layers max. Some say three max.... I recently purchased the Vic 580 nail clippers (knife) and due to the clippers, it's the thickness of a three layer SAK. So, on the sub sizes, I could probably handle three layers but not on normal sized ones (say Tinker-Pioneer size). I carry a One Handed Trekker (111mm 3-layer) hiking/woods wandering in my carry bag/pack as I think the larger 111mm size is better for the woods and it has a saw which can be quite useful in the woods cutting walking sticks or stakes.

I carried a two layer 111mm SAK for many years and only in the last year or so downsized to the Small Tinker for pocket carry.

If making a mistake on size troubles you, I would visit a store where you can handle one in person before you choose.

12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    3 layer 91mm is about my limit.

13. Brian_in_indiana

Brian_in_indiana

Aug 15, 2020
    I carry a SOG zoom with a 3.5" tanto blade for heavy cutting work daily, but I'm always in need of a screwdriver pliers etc. to compliment it.
    I'm really torn and think I need to handle both the deluxe tinker and the handyman to see what I can handle thickness wise.

Storm 8593 and Hairy Clipper like this.
  14. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    One hand opening Trekker with non-serrated blade.

15. Brian_in_indiana

Brian_in_indiana

Aug 15, 2020
    I decided on the deluxe tinker today. Much more pocketable for sure. I don't need saws often enough to warrant the extra two layers.

Wild Willie, Grateful, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  16. Brian_in_indiana

Brian_in_indiana

Aug 15, 2020
    So I got my Deluxe Tinker today, it is pretty thick but so far I think totally liveable, especially now that I ran it across my Lansky ultra fine stone. I'm not a huge fan of the scissors and I might at some point swap them out for a different tool but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.

Wild Willie, Lee D, allenC and 2 others like this.
  17. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  18. Enkrig

Enkrig

Dec 17, 2015
    Except for the awl, the compact has the tools that you mention and is only two layers. IMHO, it is perfect for a day in the office or a casual walk around town.
    For a walk in the woods, I like to carry one with a saw, usually a Huntsman.

Regarding the OP's original question, I haven't fully decided. I think that the Handyman is probably really, really close, but I wouldn't want to carry it on a daily basis -- too heavy. (For daily carry, I usually won't take anything weighing more than ~3oz.)

Wild Willie and Hairy Clipper like this.
  19. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Hopefully my SAK Pioneer will come in today. :thumbsup: :cool::thumbsup:

20. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    After two years of carrying it and having tried a bunch of other SAK's along the way my answer is going to have to be the Spartan. Yeah, the simplest, ubiquitous, boring model they make. It just works for me and I'm using it constantly throughout the day every day.

[​IMG]