If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by VicAlox74, Oct 9, 2019.

1. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    On the 18th of July, 2018, I received an executive gifted to me to take part in an executive challenge. I had always sort of scorned the executive as sort of an in between SAK of dubious value. Too big for a keyring to replace the 58mm, and too hard to find on the commercial market and mostly had to order. And it was three times the price of the humble classic that had been my keychain knife for 20 years.

I was wrong.

In the first few months after I was gifted the executive, I revised my opinions of it 180 degrees. Total about face in attitude. This little 74mm made an impact on my pocket knife carrying life as no other knife had since I started to carry my dad's old worn Case peanut. It was a relearning of what dad had told me many times about "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp."

I learned that went for SAK's as well. The executive was just enough bigger than the 58mm that it could cut a sandwich in half, or a piece of pie. Something I had to have a second knife on hand for. The executive was just enough more pocket knife that I could eliminate the second knife from my pocket. Very often the executive is my only EDC on me, but now and then is augmented by another SAK or my Leatherman squirt if I expect to need the added tool set.

My most used backup SAK is my old trusty Wenger SI. I love the basic alox scout pattern for the jus tin case. Has what I need and nothing I don't need. With an executive and SI, I feel well equipped for life little problems. Sine 18th of July, the executive has been my number one pick of a personal pocket knife. If I had to pick a number 2, the Wenger SI is there.

If they ever come out with a cadet X, things could change.

Welshie12, Lee D, Storm 8593 and 2 others like this.
  2. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    A Pioneer X is my go to knife, unless for some reason I need something small and slim. If the Cadet X ever comes out that is going to change.

redsparrow, jackknife and jmh33 like this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    They come out with a cadet X, and I'm making some big changes!!!

Lee D and redsparrow like this.
  4. CraigTbone

CraigTbone

Mar 4, 2019
    Sorry for an ignorant question please....

What does X mean for SAKs?

I have been searching for the answer but s far I have not succeeded.

5. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    The Pioneer became the Pioneer X with the addition of scissors. I think it means "with scissors" in this context.

6. CraigTbone

CraigTbone

Mar 4, 2019
    Thank you mbkr.

7. Trivette100

Trivette100 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2019
    sportmicra.jpg
    I've made my final decision: Victorinox Sportsman. It could be supplemented with a nice little Leatherman Micra, which is based on a pair of spring loaded scissors instead of pliers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Aryan29, Welshie12, allenC and 3 others like this.
  8. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    The Micra is very handy little multi-tool. I use mine more than I thought I would.

allenC likes this.
  9. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I’d choose either a Champ or Pioneer-X. Lately, I’ve been carrying the Pioneer-X in a Hitch and Timber pouch and loving it.

jmh33 and redsparrow like this.
  10. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    Probably the Pioneer X in black alox, a great solid pocket-jack.

[​IMG]

11. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. John Citizen

John Citizen

Apr 12, 2020
    [​IMG]
    Well, of course the Victorinox Apple, along with the 1986 Apple Watch, would make a spectacular combination.

315 and Storm 8593 like this.
  13. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    My edc is the Explorer. Currently carried in a gerber multitool belt sheath.

Zeroburn, allenC and mbkr like this.
  14. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    Farmer with pliers added is my favorite alox.

[​IMG]

The Walker is my favorite standard SAK.

[​IMG]

Jeff

Aryan29, Welshie12, allenC and 7 others like this.
  15. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I could see where the pliers on a Farmer would come in handy. I really like those scales on your other knives, who makes them?

Pomsbz likes this.
  16. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    The Farmer was modded by someone I found on the Multitool Forum years ago. The micarta scales were done by a friend (years ago as well). Not sure who’s doing this kind of work currently.

Jeff

17. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I was about to ask also, they're great! If your friend wants to make money tell him to let us know. :)

18. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    While I could "get by" with just a Recruit, If I could just have one, my choice would be a coin toss between the Field Master and Huntsman, for the saw and scissors ... Happily I can have more than one. :)

19. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    DaRn double post ... Sorry. :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  20. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]