If you win the lotto tonight, which knife you will buy first?!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ridnovir, Oct 23, 2018.

1. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    Kinda feel like a lottery winner right at the moment!
    Last night I won the lottery when I told my wife I was planning to TRY to spend $400 on a knife and she didn’t try to talk me out of it.
    This morning I won again when the Busse folks said that they would take my money and send me the most... well the most KNIFE I have ever considered buying:
    47AD6953-ADC5-4097-AD22-1CBA826B9E75.jpeg

bigsurbob and AntDog like this.
  2. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    First thing would be to pay off all debt.
    I can't lie my first priority for selfish stuff would be for my other passion. I'd drop close to seven figures on about 10 watches!
    For knives, I'd contact 4 makers first about making some big time custom builds
    1: Michael Walker
    2: Todd Rexford
    3: Wolfgang Loerchner
    4: Peter Carey

Then I would go to the next few knife shows (after they come back) and try to get some kitchen knife orders in with some of the folks there, like the DesRosiers, Knights and Lischs. Then spend like a drunken sailor on furlough in Amsterdam.

bigsurbob likes this.
  3. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I'd use the money to set up a shop and hire on some smiths to bring my smatchet + integrated spork, the sporkchet, to life. For fighting, but also for sporking too. Then when I realize the world isn't ready to embrace my vision, I'll be sad and disappointed, but still able to fight and spork, so there's that.

bigsurbob, BD_01, scdub and 5 others like this.
  4. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I dunno ... to be honest, I'd probably just order a Buck 110 with 5160 blade and oak covers that I don't really "need", or try and find a like new in box or NOS Buck 307 extra large stockman, or maybe just order a Rough Ryder Classic Carbon Steel Barlow.

Truth to tell, I really don't "need" another knife. The seventy or so I have now will do everything I'm like to need a knife for, during my remaining tome on this rock.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably blow it on a "final resting place", a few guns, (both cartridge, and reproduction muzzleloaders) maybe get a nice fully restored 1957 Olds J2 convertible, and/or a (fully restored) 1950~1953 Nash Ambassador 4 door sedan, with "make-out" front seat. (reclines flat to the rear seat, making a bed), a all terrain (tracked) "mobility scooter" .... a couple delivery extra large thin crust Pizza Hut "Meat Lover's" pizza, with mushrooms and quad extra cheese ... and a 25,000 square foot warehouse stacked to the ceiling with 6 packs of two liter mountain dew. (who knows? that might be enough mountain dew to last me a whole year? I consume on average, 2.5 - 3 two liters a day, by myself.)

bigsurbob likes this.
  5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    All of them.

But seriously ... I'd try to find a Phesasant Tail Sebenza ... and I would order a few customs. I have knives for everything I truly need I just may want to get some nice customs to enjoy.

6. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I think I would order a Lambsfoot knife.

7. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Well, first, I would buy a platinum membership, then I would get literally every Spyderco knife ever made. I would also probably get the correct equipment to sharpen/keep that many knives.

I would just get knives I have always wanted. (And put some away for later in life) :)

8. JokersFaceLifter

JokersFaceLifter

Jan 6, 2016
    depends on how big the lottery is, i would probably go hog wild and buy a black ultratech, black combat troodon, a couple marfione customs, and every spyderco knife i have been eyeballing for months but cant afford the $3,500+

i actually did a project just to see how much money i would need to buy all the knives i want to have, at the time i did this, which was 2 years ago, the rough estimate was 25,550 :eek:, im sure now the number has tripled --- sigh, sucks being poor:oops:

strategy9 and Smiling like this.
  9. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    I'm in a weird place with my knife wants. The needs have been covered for a while.

There are some knives I bet all the money in the world wouldn't get you brand-new and in the box.
    If it would, there's a limit to how much more I'll pay than what it cost off-the-line, for principle's sake.
    I'm thinking of a lot of discontinued blades from my favorite manufacturers.

There are other knives that wouldn't take that much money, but they'd take 5+ years wait time regardless.
    And I wouldn't attempt to jump other people in line by paying extra or something snakey like that.
    The custom knife makers I respect wouldn't do that to someone for any amount of money.

:cool::cool::cool:
    If I truly had a "pile of money"....I'd start a highly secretive knife group funded by nearly unlimited funds.
    Strong esprit de corps and the utmost appreciation of all edged weapons and tools would be the bare minimum for entry.
    The most knowledgeable knife people we can find and FREE new blades all the time would be guaranteed.
    Exclusive-to-our-group Sprint Runs for all members and custom sets for the most elite of our group would be a regular thing.

The Catch: You may keep the knives you had before joining, you may keep knives you buy yourself.
    HOWEVER, Out of all the knives you receive from the group per year, you may only keep ONE.
    The rest of the "Group Knives" must be quietly donated.
    Military, LEO, EMT, Paramedic, Firefighter-those who serve :cool::thumbsup:
    Neighbors, friends, family, strangers etc. with very little money-those who need :)
    When to told to GIVE BACK you should know who to give it to if you're part of OUR group ;)

To celebrate giving back, we'd have a party where you share which one you kept.
    We'd have a ceremony where you get one more to keep that's so custom and so rare money almost couldn't buy it.
    You know, almost, except we have unlimited funding!! :D:D

scdub likes this.
  10. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I just won the lottery the other day.
    $22 worth of scratch offs...
    I bought more scratch offs...

Seriously though, I spent quite a few years in late night, third shift, monotonous automated manufacturing, and with a $2 mega millions ticket as well as a $2 Powerball ticket sitting in my truck, twice a week, I have certainly had my fair share of hours to day dream the "what if" game just to get me through the long nights, and if I came into multiple millions, I'd definitely contact Eugene and buy a one-off Olamic Wayfarer, as well as a fancy fixed blade to pair with it.
    I'd definitely buy a Rockstead, also a Thornburg and a Burger...
    Also setting aside some pocket $ for a trip to Blade Show.

As lottery day dreams go, I'd invest the vast majority of it; IRA's, a couple properties, but keep my basic way of life pretty much the same. A little nicer for sure, but well within my means. Give me 100 million dollars, I'd still live a comfortable 100 thousand dollar lifestyle, looking to set up the long term play as well as future generations.

That said, depending on size of winnings, $20 mil vs. $120 mil+ being a huge difference; Being where I am in PA, an old steel town, with big steel and iron history all around, one thing I would also definitely look to do for a personal hobby, maybe residual income, even at early losses is, I would open a knife store. If I won tonight, there's a great little country barn style storefront right up the street from my house for sale. I pass it every day 4x on a somewhat well traveled road to drop off and pick my kid up from school. It would make a perfect cutlery store, and with working myself mainly, employing my stepson and 1 or 2 part more timer's, with a solid webpage, while letting my wife handle the books, limiting overhead to hopefully help with competitive pricing, with a few million backhanded as a financial cushion, even some early blockbuster sales at a loss to get the name out, social media giveaways, be a fun multimillion dollar multi year adventure to try and get off the ground, just to give me something to do while handling all the top knives I want to in person, lol.

Shoot, as lottery day dreaming goes, depending on just how much money I won, I'd also set up at minimum, a small personal shop in the back of the store, and or at my house, for hobbying, attend all the grind-ins, take some leather smith classes, or if the winnings were large enough, even consider a small manufacturing shop somewhere local, and look for a few Smith's to hire; put a help wanted ad up in Titusville, PA where Queen closed up shop, as well as Ellenville, NY where Canal Street closed, offering relocation assistance. Bring in 1 assistant apprentice for every smith, I would even try looking into if I can acquire the Canal Street Cutlery name, (maybe even the Schatt & Morgan name from who bought it), some already established names blanketed under a new Brand of my own, still made in the U.S.A, keeping focus on quality being #1 priority, and the money to burn at the beginning; my now retired father-in-law's old machine & wood shop, which happens to be on a local "Canal Street" address, I could acquire that building quite cheap, and the location & bones are definitely good for setting up a small shop...

Try to get in with Carpenter, with some folks I know who work there, and look to set up a direct local steel supply since they're only 45 minutes away, and Latrobe Specialty Steel is an easy 1 hour highway commute.

Oh, all the "what ifs" I would go out and do IF I won the lottery...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. Votommy

Votommy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Panchenko/Hawk Orbit and a Barker/Williams kickstop Hokkaido.

12. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Buster Warzinski's King Tut

Richard338 and severtecher like this.
  13. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

14. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    Walter Brend Model 2 with serrations

AntDog, RICKSTER and Ron Sabbagh like this.
  15. severtecher

severtecher

Feb 24, 2002
    One by Wolfgang and one by his daughter Elizabeth.
    For EDC a Koenig Atrox and Zenaida

Ron Sabbagh likes this.
  16. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I would fly first class to the next BLADE and SHOT shows, get the best hotel room I can find, order the best steak in town - and then try to persuade Tony Bose to sell me whatever he happens to be carrying in his pocket.

AntDog likes this.
  17. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't play the lotto.

However, if I did magically win, I'd buy a Cheburkov Cobra Damascus, an abalone Pro-Tech Malibu, and design a custom with Alan Davis to commemorate my 30 year brain tumor free anniversary, 2/27/2021.

Retired UPS Driver likes this.
  18. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    If I hit a mega lotto I’d buy whatever knife fits nicely on a Lamborghini keychain. Lol

I’ve always dreamed of having a room with glass cases full of top shelf knives. Like my own personal knife store. I’d do that too.

scdub and Retired UPS Driver like this.
  19. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Seeing this thread active again convinced me to post an update.

1. I didn’t win the lottery. (It’s extra hard to win when I don’t play:oops:)
    2. I splurged around this time last year and bought the Inkosi anyway! It’s awesome! :thumbsup:
    3. I tried to jump on a Swish in the Exchange a few months ago, but was too slow. :(

[​IMG]

ridnovir and AntDog like this.
  20. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Emerson CQC-6
    CRK Large regular sebenza w. BG-42

I think the CQC-6 is well above $6000. now. That is, if someone will sell you one. Probably would take more $ to flush one out from keepers hands

The CRK large Regular with BG-42 blade is probably about $1200.. Again,, IF you can find someone who will sell one.