I'm SO MAD at Benchmade right now, or at least the DANG BLUE BOX

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Walking Man, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Walking Man

Walking Man Banned BANNED

May 28, 2003
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I just tried to remove the thumbstud off of my 710 for the SECOND TIME!!!!!
    The first time I tried to remove it the tip of the torx screwdriver broke off.
    I then sent it back.
    AND YES, I AM USING THEIR PRODUCT, THEIR TOOL, THEIR STUPID @#$&+ BLUE BOX
    IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN.
    I need to get the thumbstud off in order to remove a little rust, and it seems fate is again or am I doing something wrong.
    Personally, I think this IS TOTAL BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, YEAH, DON'T EVER BUY THAT BLUE BOX IT'S A TOTAL WASTE, WASTE, WASTE, WASTE, WASTE OF MONEY!!!! (In my opinion)

2. Julian Elliot

Julian Elliot

Jun 29, 2003
    That sux! Actually, I don't know anything about the Blue Box, or the thumbstuds on the 710 - I've had two, but never tried to remove anything except the clips. Unlike the fasteners though, I wouldn't be surprised if they used some kind of adhesive on the thumbstuds. Anybody know?

3. rs422

rs422 Banned BANNED

Oct 14, 2004
    If you have rust near the thumb stud then try WD40, let it sit in it for a few hours, they try and loosen it. Also I hear that Radio Shack has the torx tools, perhaps they are cheaper?

4. DaveH

DaveH

Dec 2, 1999
    Your experience is not unique. Posts from when it first came out a year or two ago indicated it was pretty cheap.

5. Gollnick

Gollnick Musical Director

Mar 22, 1999
    It's important to keep in mind that the Blue Box isn't made by Benchmade.

It's like the Benchmade shirts and hats. Benchmade does not make shirts and hats. Benchmade just has someone else stamp their logo on a shirt and then Benchmade sells them as "Benchmade Shirts."

This Blue Box product is a common product that you see in different colors with different logos on it in stores all the time. It's probably made in China. And, yeah, it's got a pretty bad reputation. This is especially true in the balisong community. Remember that some balisong users are very picky about adjusting the pivots on their knives.

In my opinion, Benchmade shouldn't have put their name on that thing.

It's the Cadillac Cimmaron of the knife world.

6. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Thumbstuds probably loctited, try heating the thumbstud first.

7. eleven

eleven

Nov 11, 2004
    I've got a Wiha set that is really nice.

8. Doug Selsor

Doug Selsor

Mar 5, 2001
    The metal used in the blue box appears to be on the soft side. I've twisted a couple of the torx tips, myself. They're pretty crappy. I ended up getting the proper sizes at Radio Shack, I believe.

Doug

9. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    I LOVE Benchmade knives, but (their) "Blue Box" totally sucks! Throw it away, go down to your local Sears, and buy a Craftsman "32 Piece Screwdriver Set", #9/47483 (it has a red handle on the driver)...I have one and it is PERFECT, (and tough), and since it is a Sears Craftsman hand tool, if any if the bits break, Sears will replace it "on the spot".

10. Hateman

Hateman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2000
    I had the same problem with the Blue Box. I broke a bit and sent it back to Benchmade for a replacement. While th Box was away, I got the Screwdriver Set mentioned above. I used it for several knives and found any apprehension about breaking the bits went away. I tightened screws of all kinds with no problem and never has one broken. If anything, take glockman's advice and toss the Blue Box, those bits will break again and again over time. Just my recent experinece with the infamous Blue Box.

11. Patryn

Patryn

Sep 8, 2002
    I must be lucky so far.

I got one of the Blueboxesfromhell and so far it's held up well. I've even taken apart the dishwasher with it....twice! Nothing has twisted or broken on me yet.

Bali_Nut likes this.
  12. allyourblood

allyourblood

Sep 3, 2003
    here's another vote for Sears' Craftsman drivers. i bought the 3 smallest individual drivers (T6, 7, & 8, if memory serves me) for under $2 each. these cover every knife i own, and they've never stripped, or bent or anything. if they do, Sears will replace them easy.

abe m.

13. Walt2

Walt2

Mar 13, 2001
    I agree with everyone who says throw away the Benchmade Blue Box. I have seen several knives with #5 Torx screws in them. My Sears set only goes to #6 and they tell me that they don't have a #5. I ordered a #5 from Wiha to be able to tighten these screws.

14. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2000
    I am sold on Wiha. Thanks to the forum, I got them first and have not looked back.

15. =Voodoo=

=Voodoo=

Sep 6, 2003
    Benchmade is equivalent to cadillac?????

they are nice to carry and show, but when I "used mine" they broke

just my own unique experiance and not meant to be anything else

good luck, I just switched brands ;)

16. biogon

biogon

Jan 2, 2002
    Um...

Is the thumbstud supposed to be removeable!?

If you had said clip screws I would be with you 110%.

I have had BM replace the Torx bits in my "BlueBoxOfCrap" before. But the Thumbstuds are most likely red loctited in and would require heat and other majik.

I use a heatgun or a soldering iron.

Also, you probably need a different tool

Like a real Torx set. :)

-j

17. GarageBoy

GarageBoy

May 23, 2003
    The bits on the bluebox didn't even stay in the holder so the bits would fall out when i tried to use it

18. Walking Man

Walking Man Banned BANNED

May 28, 2003
    I assume so.
    Otherwise why a Torx female hole be in the middle of it???? :confused: ????

19. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    It probably has some crazy strong Loc-tite on it so it won't come loose.

20. biogon

biogon

Jan 2, 2002
    My guess is that the Torx is for them to install it, rather than just press-fitting it.

I bet if you called and asked their service dept, they would tell you that the thumbstud is not a user-serviceable part...

-j