In case anyone was wondering... Bulgarian hatchet from the Bay or the Big River sites

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Stump Buster, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I have been on a tomahawk kick lately and was perusing those big online ordering sites and found an ad for a small camp hatchet made in Bulgaria. Thinking it was a little bigger (I hoped I would be able to choke up behind the blade), I ordered one up to give it a shot. Well it arrived last week and I gotta say, I was shocked at how small it really was......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...but, I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED on how well it performed for such a lightweight little hatchet. I can't get but one finger behind the blade, but it is light and fast in the hand. I had a pine tree go down on the property last Sunday that was partially blocking our driveway. I got after it today after work with the little hatchet and I was thrilled with the way it cut through the softwood limbs and arm thick branch tops obstructing the driveway. I maybe spent a whole ten minutes getting it cleared up to where you see it in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

The blade stayed sharp and it cut very clean...
    [​IMG]

If you're looking for a small packable little lightweight axe, you could do worse than these little guys. Oh yeah, I thought I'd re-hang it once it got here to a straight handle, but the shape of this one is well thought out and VERY comfortable to use. I just applied a couple coats of stain to the handle and it was good to go. I'm sold on the whole package.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was on the fence or wondering if these were worth the risk.

ETA: If you want to find it on either site, search for "Light bearded axe".

All the Best,

Stump

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Thin, broad, deep bits in the European style work much better than many give them credit for. Just gotta' use them with a slightly different approach to get the most out of them.

3. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    That's a neat looking hand axe. I had noticed them, but honestly hadn't given them much thought.

4. ipt

ipt

May 14, 2013
    Thank you! It's nice to see good coments for my axe!
    Can I use you photos in my facebook page, man!
    And if you have more I'll be glad to post them...

5. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Hi ipt,

You bet... and Thanks for making an affordable and efficient little tool!:thumbup:

I'll see if I kept any more pictures. If I did, I'll send them in a pm.

Mike