In need of sharpening tips!!!

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by marenoa, Aug 4, 2007.

1. marenoa

marenoa

Mar 19, 2007
    I simply cant sharpen a Khukri!!,:confused::confused:

Does anyone have some kind of graphic guide with pictures and all that??

Alejandro

2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Welcome, Alejandro:D

There should be some sharpening tips located in the FAQ sticky at the top of the thread page, or you could do an advanced search through the HI forum/archives.

I guess the first set of questions would be: How sharp is your khukuri now, and how sharp do you want to get it? (razor, field sharp, etc). There are countless ways to sharpen a khuk. Probably the easiest way to get a good toothy edge down the whole length is to use several grits of sandpaper glued/taped to a dowel rod. You just use it like a butcher's steel and switch to finer and finer grits as you raise a bur. The dowel obviously curves the paper and fits the recurve of the blade (unlike flat stones). There is also the sandpaper/mouse pad method where you simply strop the blade on the sandpaper that is glued to the pad. The sandpaper sharpens the blade and the mouse pad gives a bit giving you a nice convexed edge (the preferred kind of blade geometry for a chopping blade). Personally, I use a butcher's steel, then a sandpaper/mouse pad, and polish up the edge with an old piece of leather loaded with jeweler's buffing compound.

Once again, Welcome:)

3. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
  4. brachal

brachal

May 17, 2006
    I found this page to be very helpful:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/sosak/convex.htm

I like to use sanding sponges (available at larger hardware stores) instead of the mouse pad method. The smaller sponges (3"x4" or so) work well because you can move the sponge over the blade, not the blade over the sponge/stone. The sponges I've found don't come finer than a 150 grit, but you can duct tape finer grits of sand paper over the sponge. Remember that getting a good sharp edge by hand sharpening will take TIME. Don't be disappointed if your khukuri isn't razor sharp after 10 minutes. Keep at it.

5. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    I've never had the need to sharpen the inside curve by the Cho very sharp. I simply never use that area for much of anything. I like to have the sweet spot sharp but they seem to chop better if they're not literally as sharp as a straight razor. That type of 'almost-razor' edge is easier to maintain and lasts longer too.

6. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    Should you decide after some khukri abuse, that it is simply beyond your ability to sharpen it, please consider donating it to one of the khukri-rescue societies on this forum. :jerkit:

7. marenoa

marenoa

Mar 19, 2007
    Hi Guys,

Thank you very mucho for the tips and links!!!! They are proving useful in understanding this Khukri sharpening hell (at least for me)

Still, I have some ( I imagine very dumb questions) but i´m not American so, well.......i don't know the meaning of some things:confused::

1. What´s a Dowel Rod??????????

2. What´s a sharpening sponge?????????

I´m really grateful for the help.

Ferguson, man, thanks, if I it didn't cost me like 200 bucks sending you the blade, I would be in the mail. trust me I have two left hands!!!

Thanks guys,

Alejandro

8. seaice

seaice

Mar 22, 2007
    Cylindrical plug of wood used to strengthen the joint between two bigger pieces of wood, by pushing it (usually glued) into a matchingly located hole that you've drilled in each of them.
    ie.
    If you sawed a length off the end of a broom handle, that would be like a big dowel rod.
    Cut a length off a round pencil, and it would be like a small dowel rod.

At DIY shops you get rectangular spongy foam blocks which have abrasive sheet bonded to both its big faces, and the two longer sides. They can be used wet or dry, and come in a choice of coarse medium or fine grades of abrasive surface. Ideal for rubbing down car bodywork or paintwork on curved or irregular surfaces. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be ultra fine on the blocks, but you could finish the job off with a rolled up piece of very fine wet & dry held carefully in your fingers or round a dowel as mentioned above.

9. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Aye, this is why I bought myself a cheap belt sander with sharpening belts. Takes a lot of the tedium out of getting a workable edge on a dull, thick piece of steel! :D

10. marenoa

marenoa

Mar 19, 2007
    what kind of belt sander?

11. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    Here's one I modified some time ago. It was modified to run very slowly. Much safer that way.[​IMG]

12. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    I'm afraid I don't know too much about the hardware, other than mine was a cheap one that was on sale (cheaper still!). It takes 1" x 30" belts... and I bought some belts specifically designed for sharpening. I think the special belts may reduce the risk of overheating the blade and ruining the temper. I would see if you can find sharpening belts before I'd consider getting the sander, and make sure the sander would fit the belts.

13. Edward Teach

Edward Teach

Jun 29, 2005
  14. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    sweet belt grinder, Bri in Chi! :thumbup: