1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

In the search for a grinder... again!

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by EastCompassoKnivery, Dec 10, 2014.

1. EastCompassoKnivery

EastCompassoKnivery

Feb 26, 2014
    Hi everyone, its been a while sense I last posted/ looked at the forum. I have increased my knife making skill greatly (at least in my eyes and compared to my earlier work) I am definitely leaning toward knife making as more of a career that I can enjoy more than anything. I am only 15 so I have some time to think about things but knife making is the one thing that I've been doing for a while and still haven't gotten tired of it.

Anyway, business is picking up and I am still in school so when I can work on knifes I need to accomplish a lot. I have owned and modded a Ryobi 4x36 sander form Home Depot for about a year and a half. It fills orders but it has its drawbacks, i.e. the belts don't last to long (even ceramic) its relatively slow grinding and the worst part is the main flat part isn't flat. It dips in in the middle which causes some issues on longer knives and trying to get a good even bevel. I am looking to get some form of grinder that uses 2x72 belts. I was/ still am leaning toward the KMG with the flat platen and 10 inch contact wheel. I have also considered.,in order,a wilmont,a pheer, a Bm2 and possibly a polar bear. I would like to spend the least amount but I definitely will save my pennies and budget for something that will last. I am hoping to get a full package. I don't want to have to order from different places to get things like motors and pulleys and then find ways to attach them.

I know its kind of a redundant question as it is I who will be spending the money so I get to make the final decision but I am really lost. There are certain things I like about some grinders more than other and things I don't like about them more than others. Any advice as to what you use and like/ recommend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Eric Kidwell

Eric Kidwell

Dec 27, 2012
    You didn't list the Esteem grinder from Brent.
    His grinder should be considered for sure.
    Rock solid design at a great price.

3. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    I have a TW-90, a KMG and a GIB kit.

The TW-90 is hands down the best grinder of the 3, but it is also the most expensive.

I would never buy another KMG for various reasons.

If I had to buy another grinder that was not a TW-90, I would probably get the Wilmont or the Esteem.

4. EastCompassoKnivery

EastCompassoKnivery

Feb 26, 2014
    I have heard of esteem grinders and I can't beleive I didn't consider them. They are cheaper or close to a price of a KMG and it has the same attatchments. I will have to read up on them. Does anyone know how I can go about contacting Brent?

5. Yooper12

Yooper12

Nov 20, 2014
    I love my KMG, but have heard great things about Kalamazoo grinders and they are cheaper than my KMG. The long and the short of it is there are lots of options, do your research, and remember that its subjective. Choose the tool to meet your need
    , not the other way around

6. Mahoney

Mahoney

Mar 8, 2006
    We have a Bader B3 in the shop and it's a great tool. The platen and some of the small wheel accessories we use on it came from KMG. We also have a Kalamazoo 6X48, and my take on the Kalamazoo is that it's a very simple tool and built like a tank, very durable, but it's still somewhat expensive for what you get. IMO the 2X72s Kalamazoo offers are not as versatile as other 2X72s like the Bader/KMG/etc., nor is variable speed available, and variable speed is well worth the extra money.

7. bodam

bodam

Sep 8, 2014
    Brett Mathews <[email protected]>

I just bought one, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the grinder and of the service before I purchased.

8. EastCompassoKnivery

EastCompassoKnivery

Feb 26, 2014
    I have been i. Touch with Brett and I think an esteem is what I'm going to go with. Thanks everyone for yalls input on this.