1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Industry Standard.

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by jackknife, Aug 28, 2019.

1. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    To me, Victorinox is the standard by which cutlery companies are judged. They are the largest single cutlery manufacturer in Europe, and probably the world. Their combination of high, consistent quality at immense quantities is unequaled. Everyone knows what a SAK is. Their kitchen knives are also used in kitchens the world over. And as to pliers-based multi-tools, I’ve owned many Leathermans, but have found the best MT (for me) is the Vic Spirit.

I also like Spyderco and CRK. Also some Buck and some Case knives. But if it ever came down to having to choose only one line of knives for the rest of my life, for me it would be Victorinox. They’ve proven themselves to me over the decades in how darned handy they are. And they don’t cost much money. Even a knife like the Executive that at first glance SEEMS to cost a lot for what it is, ultimately proves its worth, and it still doesn’t cost much.

Jim

2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I do in fact judge my GEC's and Case slippies based on Vic SAKs especially relative to walk & talk. I use Vic kitchen knives, cheap ones, all the time and usually buy a couple when I visit the big knife store in Sevierville TN. I keep spares basically and get moved into use as needed. I sharpen the plain edged ones from time to time and usually just toss the serrated ones for a new one if I notice an appreciable difference in cutting comparing old vs new. The Vic Spirit is my favorite pliers based multi-tool. I wish Vic would come out with a smaller multi-tool like the Leatherman's (squirt and so forth).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Pomsbz and James Y like this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    You can sharpen the Victorinox serrated edges easy with any kind of rat tail diamond hone. I use an Eze-Lap one that lookalike a small capped pen. It fits in the serrations pretty good and the single step Vic serrations are not bad to sharpen up. I do it every few months and it make a huge difference. My better half, Karen, always notices when she uses them. Says, "You've been working on the knives again, haven't you?" as she goes and gets a bandaid.:eek:

4. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would be soooooo on board with that!!!!:)

5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I need to do that. If nothing else it would be good practice for my fully serrated Endura. I don't use this Endura much as I considered it a special use knife. It also feels a bit big for me these days (pocket sword).

Added: I mentioned above that I toss the dull inexpensive Vic serrated kitchen paring knives and so forth..... takes a long time and I don't think I have tossed any as of yet although some are getting a bit dull. I would guess that some are 20 years old.... think I got my money's worth out of a sub $10 paring knife.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    315 and Storm 8593 like this.
  6. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

O.B.

Storm 8593 likes this.
  7. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    :D No thanks. I'll stick with the Leatherman Squirt or Style.

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Me too.
    If I want a multitool I want something that's pliers or scissors first, I look to Victorinox for a knife with tools.
    Not to say I'm against their spirit or anything, but one of their knives which has a little pair of pliers no thank you.

22-rimfire likes this.
  9. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    That pretty much summarizes the way I feel about Vic knives. Knife first, tool second; multi-tool = pliers first, tools second and if I feel like it a blade if I just have to. No offense to the Micra lovers.

Pomsbz and Storm 8593 like this.
  10. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I'm the opposite. I think of the Victorinox as my pocket tool box. I've had that particular Swiss Champ for 5 or 6 years and have used every tool on it except, the cutting blades. I carry other knives for cutting stuff. I will admit the pliers work better as tweezers, than they do as pliers.

O.B.

11. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Different stokes; I like it. I won't carry more than a 2 layer SAK in my pocket. When I carry a Trekker, it's in a bag of some sort and generally in the woods. The saw comes in handy for some trimming for photos of plants as well as potentially useful to cut nice square ends on a walking stick or perhaps a tent stake.

I think the difference is that I depend on a SAK as an EDC and it's used primarily for cutting and the tools are secondary. The limited tools are useful, but I generally don't put a lot of stress on them such as tightening or loosening a tight screw. I'll grab a real screw driver or tool I need for the job.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Storm 8593 likes this.
  12. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I’d like to see a Victorinox mini-multi-tool similar to a Squirt. I’m betting they could do it very, very well, too, if they decided to do it. Victorinox brings out new innovations slowly, though, clearly making sure to get things right. I wouldn’t view it as a replacement for a SAK, but as more of a compact, convenient-to-carry supplement.

On my SAKs, I also won’t carry more than a 2-layer model. For me, even a 3-layer in my pocket feels clunky. On my Spartan or Pioneer, I use the cutting blades AND the various tools. Especially the can opener/little screwdriver, bottle opener/large screwdriver (often as a light-duty prying/scraping tool, toothpick, and the mini eyeglass screwdriver. I use them all every day. On my Executive, I’ve also been using most of the features.

Jim

Storm 8593, Headwinds and Grateful like this.
  13. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    I honestly agree about Victorinox quality being very consistent. They’re always very sharp out of the box, and ready to work.

BIC lighters, yeah they’re good. They have a lot of things going for them. They’re cheap, super easy to find, and fairly reliable. You can throw on in all your equipment bags and vehicles without worrying that the fuel will be gone within the month.

If you plan on using said lighter a lot, I’d definitely say get a zippo instead. Refillable, work well in the wind, and at least in my experience if you drop a closed zippo in water for a short amount of time, it still lights first or second try. And massive style points too. People dig the old timey look and feel of a zippo.

The one thing I’d argue with you on Toyota trucks. Sure they run awhile, but they lack capability. The payload on the smaller Toyota trucks is far from ideal

14. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I use the Sharpmaker on my Vic serrated paring knives, quick and easy. Oh and I warn my wife when I've sharpened the kitchen knives. :D

Storm 8593 likes this.
  15. V a d i m

V a d i m

Mar 2, 2012
    Toyota as a standard in quality?
    No.
    Honda?
    Yes!

16. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    "...some things in life you take for granted. ...Certain brands that you just know, no matter what, will not let you down." jackknife

Like this 50+ year old Master lock.
    [​IMG]
    Victorinox Pioneer

Storm 8593, Ace Rimmer and 315 like this.
  17. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Hmmm. I have a Honda Jazz/Fit. The rubber seal on the door keeps coming off, the cup holder has been replaced twice and still flops open rather than holding drink, the tire deflate warning comes on every time I go over a bump and today the rear view mirror came off the windscreen when I had an important hospital appointment I couldn't miss. The car is two years old. :rolleyes:

To keep it on topic, I used the small blade on my SAK Spartan to cut up some gorilla tape to hold the mirror in place while I drove to the hospital. A bit later I used it to trim down fly netting I installed at the patio door, the little 'un had wrecked the old netting by being a little boy full of energy :D. The SAK small blade doesn't get enough good press.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Storm 8593, redsparrow and 315 like this.
  18. V a d i m

V a d i m

Mar 2, 2012
    I have 2003 Honda Accord,245k miles, ZERO! problems!
    Had before Toyota Camry,lot of problems.
    Your mileage may vary.

19. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Our experiences don't match. My Sister has a Camry with about 200,000 miles on it. Still going strong, but as I recall she had to spend about $1000 on some sort of AC problem that developed in the last 6 months. Other sister has one too, but her true love are Jeeps. The Honda Accords have a good reputation (niece has one). Overall, both Honda and Toyota have good reputations. Folks love the Optima.

I agree, the small blade on SAKs tend to get ignored. The same can be said about other two bladed, small and large blades, slip joints. I don't think I have ever used the small blade on my Small Tinker. Just opened it up, perhaps for the first time or second.... think I need to do some house keeping on this knife as it's getting gunked up.
    Added: Housekeeping complete. ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Storm 8593 and Pomsbz like this.
  20. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I keep the big one for food and packaging and small for gunky stuff and rougher work. I sharpen the big one to hair shaving and the small has a toothier edge. It's a good combo for my day to day uses.

Oh and I love housekeeping my SAK's. Run under the tap with a bit of soap, shake off, back in pocket. I can't do that with a CPM154 knife even (the forum knife) or my Queen D2 knives. They will start to rust unless I dry them properly. I don't know if the water is particularly caustic here but what I love about the SAK is not having to worry about it.

Storm 8593 likes this.