Inexpensive bearded axe?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by crunky, Sep 28, 2010.

1. crunky

crunky

Apr 6, 2010
    Does such a thing exist? Looking to keep it under $50, but I want something I can actually take out with me into the woods and, well, split wood. I was looking at the Allan Foundry hawks at Ragweed, but they are cast, and I read a few posts that claimed their edge holding ability isn't too great.

2. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    How "bearded" do you need it to be?

The Fort Turner Iroquois (one at far right) is a very nice piece, and right at your price range.
    [​IMG]

3. crunky

crunky

Apr 6, 2010
    I was looking for something a bit more like this :D
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/23v.jpg
    I think I'm going to end up having to modify something else to my liking before spending a little more dough.

Oooh I do like that Fort Turner Norseman Hawk tho, does anyone know how they compare to Cold Steel hawks?

4. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
  5. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    IMO Fort Turner is far better than Cold Steel. Cold steel is 1055 carbon steel, Fort Turner uses a 1095 edge forge welded into a 1050 bit, which means it holds a better edge while maintaining extreme toughness through the head.

He also does some custom work.

6. crunky

crunky

Apr 6, 2010
    Cool thanks for the info. Maybe I'll modify a cheapee axe and play with it for a bit so as to see if its something I really want to use. Already over my blade budget for this month:rolleyes:
    Cherokee, that is badass. do you have any dimensions and before pics?

7. bigbcustom

bigbcustom

Dec 20, 2005
    firestone makes an inexpensive bearded axe, but I don't have any experience with it to say whether it is any good or not.

8. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    Crunky, it was just an old 2 1/2 pound rusty Plumb axe I reground to this shape. I made the eye smaller by welding in some metal in the front and back of the eye and grinding down flush on the final shaping, you cant even see the welding after polishing. Used some scape cocabola for the handle. going to replace the handle with one about 4" longer.