Infantry knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Irish_Iron_Spring, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Irish_Iron_Spring

Irish_Iron_Spring Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Hello all,

I've looked through the page and reviewed a number of old threads and posts on the topic near as I can find it. They are all a bit dated and a bit off in what I'm personally circling around looking for.

I'm in the Army National Guard, 11B. Looking for something to work into my kit and get familiar with pre any deployment during weekend drills and annuals.

Criteria:
    -$150 or under, although price isn't a major factor I want a beater workhorse, not something I have to worry about growing legs, and not things I have to struggle to replace if lost.

- 5-6 inches blade length, straight edge. Don't need a rambo knife, have a folder already that I am very happy with (Gerber 06 auto)

- More of a utility than combat focus, but not a wood processing/survival focus, if that makes sense.

- +solid durability and serviceability (i.e. not looking for a super steel, something that's easy to maintain in filed and bring back to sharp).

Contenders I've got thus far: Becker BK17 if I can find one, Esee 5/6 mil version, Esee 3 Mil (but its a little smaller than I'd prefer), CS recon scout, CS SRK, Gerber strong-arm.

I already have a multi tool I like as well, so although a great suggestion and tool, I've got that covered.

What am I missing, anything else I should take a look at?

Thanks in advance!

2. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Not gonna lie, I stopped carrying fixed blades primarily because I lost probably a year's worth of drill pay over six years in stolen knives. Had them walk off my gear. Had them walk off my desk. Had them walk off my bunk. Take your pick.

3. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I would just stick with your Gerber that you have. I used a Benchmade AFO2 in the Army and it worked fine. A good pocketknife like you have will do anything you need it to.
    But, if you really want a fixed blade how about a Kabar fighting/utility knife, or the small version?

4. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I like the Strongarm here. It sharpens up with very little effort, and for the life of me I can't get it to corrode... even around salt water.

Were it me though, I wouldn't pack a fixed blade if I went back in.

5. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Coldsteel 4max scout, built like a tank and easy to resharpen. Oh, and very cost effective.

6. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Cold Steel SRK or WW2 Marine Ka-Bar.

It will pry the lids off of ammo crates, sand it will eviscerate "true believers.":D

Astrogator and Irish_Iron_Spring like this.
  7. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    CS Recon Scout or SRK are great choices. They also just released an SRK Compact, with 5" blade. Can also check out their AK-47 Field Knife, which is 5.5".

8. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Add a Leatherman tool to your gear and you're all set.

Make sure your initials are engraved nice and deep on the handle.

9. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I didn't know about the SRK Compact... I'm totally getting one of these. An inch shorter but a full 3 ounces lighter.

Always liked the SRK, and this makes it even better, in my book anyways.

Ben Dover, Retired UPS Driver and rpn like this.
  10. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Buck 650...

This model has been discontinued by Buck, but it can still be found online for very reasonable prices.

HOOAH!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    How do you plan on carrying it?
    On your person, belt/molle, or in/on your ruck?

A couple fine options already, but just to through a few more into the hat, almost all molle compatible;

KaBar Turok or Ontario Ranger, both a bit on the heavier side
    Condor Skirmish or Kizer GTI Bush, both lightweight
    Buck Nighthawk
    Tops Ranger Bootlegger boot knife. Can't comment how comfortable it would actually be as a bootknife though. As a former 11b, not sure I'd want a bootknife on my ankle for any extended period anyways, but the blade size, weight, & shape are all pretty user friendly. (I'm thinking about picking one up myself to check out for casual carry)...
    Ontario 490 m-9, heavy, but it's a bayonet for your m-4 "just in case", and a fine 420 stainless knife non-the-less. Soft steel by comparrison, but the pro's are pretty tough and pretty stainless...
    Steel Will Darkangel

12. Brhowser87

Brhowser87

Aug 3, 2016
    No in the service or anything {big respect on my end} but I do have alot of outdoor experience. The Gerber strongarm would probably be the way to go. That was my first fixed blade before I really got into knives but was still camping and hiking alot. Their easily replaced (carried by Wally world for $55-$60). Great beater knife, their easy to sharpen (I touched mine up on a upside down coffee mug). And the sheath is pretty damn good for what it is. It has great retention and can be mounted upside down with no worries. Seeing the comments people are making about the reoccurring problem of knives growing legs this would be your best bet. You won't cry to hard if/when it walks and instead of waiting for another to ship just run to your local Wally world. Hope this helps.

Irish_Iron_Spring likes this.
  13. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    New to me too...idk if it comes in 3v but that would be sweet!

To the OP...could always go cheaper for drill weekends in the field and have something a bit better if a deployment comes your way. An ESEE izula II can do a lot when you're kicking it on the weekends.

I'm a 73A and rarely need a fixed blade..even in the field. If I'm really going somewhere my Swamp Rat Bandicoot is coming. Emerson kwaiken neck knife too...maybe a Winkler...lol. Tough being a knife nut in the service...it's always "So what do I want to carry this month?"

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  14. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Beastchopper likes this.
  15. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Recon Scout gets my vote.

16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Unless you got $$$ to burn , I'd just get the cheapest Cold Steel Recon Scout or Tanto . No tears ! Will do the job just fine .

Edit : Forgot the most classic all-purpose field knife : Cold Steel SRK and the newest compact version . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Astrogator and bigsurbob like this.
  17. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/ontari...ario-knife-499-air-force-survival-knife-6150/

keep it simple. The Ontario Air Force survival knife is a decent knife that’s stood the test of time. It’s big enough but not too big. The sheath is very functional ambidextrous and safe to use. (10 rivets and a metal guard). Has a small sharpening stone. Cheap to replace if it walks away. You should be able to find one for about $35. You could but a new one every month if you had too.

dinoatlas likes this.
  18. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    these are pretty much quarterly threads and my response doesn't change...

I'm an old (read grey hair OG OEF 1) grunt and I carried an AFO if I were to do it all again I'd carry and AFO. There are a crap ton of great knives both fixed (why) and folders but the very un-sexy 154CM AFO just plods along being a great knife that works no matter, can be sharpened on anything abrasive, and will be replaced no matter.

Just get an AFO they're not expensive, don't get in the way, they're in the supply system, and most important all the "cool kids" have them.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  19. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Sad that you have to worry about your brothers in arms stealing from you. But it is a fact of life I guess.

Astrogator and bigsurbob like this.
  20. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    As a young infantryman I got over my fixed blade obsession pretty quickly. I started carrying a Victorinox Huntsman, and it served me well for many years.

bigsurbob, Pomsbz and strategy9 like this.