1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic Interesting accident...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by A.McPherson, May 15, 2019.

1. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    So I was practicing some forging the other day and I dropped the piece I was working on into my vertical forge.

So I just left it and moved on to another project.

Well I retrieved it today and here’s what I found.

[​IMG]

The piece is completely covered in what I’m guessing is forge scale, and it is super shiny and even looks like it welded together at the little swirly bit!

[​IMG]

I know it’s not really knife making related but I though it was interesting enough to share...

jux t and seanj like this.
  2. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Is it flux (borax)?

allenkey likes this.
  3. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Thats interesting, Almost like scale melted to an enamel like glaze.
    I wonder how rich/lean your forge burns, Maybe thats part of the glossy effect ?

4. GoldSkula

GoldSkula

Jun 14, 2018
    I assume you are using a propane forge?

5. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Yep, it’s a propane forge.

I don’t know if it’s flux or not. I’ve used flux in the forge before, but the floor is made outta cat litter, so I don’t think it’s flux, but it could be.

It was running pretty neutral at the time..