1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Introducing the Sebenza 31! (21 Is Being Discontinued)

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Lone_Wolfe, Jun 3, 2019.

1. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I can see making a profit but that much that soon?

Lady1911 likes this.
  2. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I'm actually not digging the one-piece inlay. To me the the two strips were more interesting to look at and made the knife more identifiable. They really broke up the details but the one-piece to me looks too flat and plain, even somewhat generic. I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I agree, re-sellers suck.

How about some pics?

4. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    Here is the one I found at Blade.
    [​IMG]

5. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Is that a 31? I thought they didn’t have the locating hole? Or is that still a 21. I’m confused

6. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    It is a 21. There were not very many 21s at Blade.
    BTW just placed my order for a Lunar Landing 31.

loon#r, Lady1911 and Therom like this.
  7. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I would have gladly paid that..There was a line before the doors opened for early birds..I didn't find this out until going in and seeing the line and thinking I had no chance of getting anything.

8. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I hung around the booth quite alot..Didn't really meet too many people from BF..but a fair amount from FB. Wish I would have known you were there..but yes, I agree..I hated that it went down like that.

Lady1911 likes this.
  9. pirates

pirates

Aug 30, 2018
    Nice blade. In case you weren’t aware, at the rear of that scale below the lanyard pin, those dots and dashes is “CR” in morse code. I’ve never seen one like this before.

Lady1911 and bhyde like this.
  10. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    The more I look at it the more I agree. If I do ever end up picking up a 31 it will be a PJ.

sailfish likes this.
  11. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I have surmised before that in that case since the ceramic ball is wearing on the blade tang vs the 21 where the blade wears on the lockbar lockface; then it is likely easier and cheaper for CRK to just replace a worn out blade.

Idk how true that is though.

Btw guys. Any idea how the PB washers are going to be on the 31? Are they complex fixed washers like on the Inkosi or are they still circular sebenza style washers?

Curl of the Burl likes this.
  12. aengina

aengina

Jul 25, 2010
    I am guessing that they are same as 21. Doesn't make sense to me to change them to locate off the stop pin. I think too many people would have trouble putting it back together without pinching a washer.

13. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    First I have seen as well admittedly I have not kept up on the newer CGG models. I was wondering what those marks were.Thanks

14. Alpha556

Alpha556

May 29, 2017
    Well, looks like Im never getting rid of my Large Micarta 21 now. The 21 has been around so long that its hard to believe its being discontinued.
    To me the 21 is the Sebenza.
    I am glad that they are keeping the bushing pivot. Dont really care for the canted pocket clip. Never had a problem with the pocket clip on the 21.
    It just looks crooked to me.

Talus, trackstar55 and rexromic like this.
  15. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    I prefer the original clip placement. As far as the bushing pivot,to me that is the main thing that makes the Sebenza a Sebenza. Way back when BM came out with the Bradley design I was asked by a Bradley rep at Blade about it. He did say it was designed to go head to head with the Sebenza. I told him that there was no way it could without using the Sebenza pivot system. To me that was the key feature that made the Sebenza worth the price and took it a level or two above other folders.

416isToronto likes this.
  16. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Yeah the stripped down utilitarian look never fails but an inlay has less room for error and needs to be done just right for the most visual appeal. To me at least.

17. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I got to their booth an hour and 45 minutes into my early bird. Didn't have a clue why there was even a line to get near the booth. By the time I got there nothing 31 or damascus or anything interesting out of the ordinary was for sale...but I got to play with the 31 box elder. The one piece insert is gorgeous, so glad I couldn't buy one as I really didn't need to buy another knife at blade. As for early profiteering on a 31 from a few days ago, to each their own, like any other community, there are always flippers of something.

Curl of the Burl and bhyde like this.
  18. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Pretty disappointed that they haven't upgraded the steel on the 31. I know Chris had something to do with the creation of S35VN, but on a $450+ production knife in 2019 it just doesn't make sense.

Koenig is now making M390 Arius, it would have been nice to see that option from CRK.

rexromic likes this.
  19. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    From what you know about blade steel, what would you imagine the benefits of S35VN are over m390? Those are the reasons why.
    For me, I prefer S35VN over most others mainly because of the great edge holding/maintenance ratio, corrosion resistance, and durability. I don’t believe there is anything that strikes this balance better.

20. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Edge retention and corrosion resistance are the two most important traits for any blade. M390 is vastly superior in both respects.

A steel that is easier to sharpen just means more frequent sharpenings. I've never considered that a positive. If I'm breaking out the Wicked Edge to sharpen, M390 might take an extra 15-20 minutes compared to S35VN, but it'll hold that edge much, much longer.

All things considered, for the typical use case of a pocket knife, M390 is objectively better steel. Introducing a new model in 2019 would have been a great chance to upgrade.

rexromic and Alsharif like this.