Ipod earphones

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by bandaidman, May 27, 2007.

1. bandaidman

bandaidman

Feb 11, 2001
    the stock headphones are mediocre

i am not an audiophile and dont require high performance, hence i would like to keep the cost to <$50

my two main requirements is that they will stay in during running/working out and are reasonably durable

thanks

2. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005

i got some nike ones at the apple store for under 30.00. im like you, i just need them to stay on for excercise and such.

they have a wraparound earpiece that seems to stay on well.

for more money, try the bluetooth model. also a wraparound and no wires to get tangled.

3. Mark J

Mark J

Mar 15, 2001
    Try the Sennheiser CX300-B earbuds. Amazon.com has them for exactly $50. My wife and I both have a set and love 'em. Plus they were top rated in a review of earbuds (can't remember which magazine).

- Mark

4. spyder10

spyder10

Dec 19, 2005
    The stock ipod earbuds are horrible. I have picked up a set of $10 sonys and they a much better. The sennheisers are good but I haven't seen them for less than $75.

Edit:www.cnet.com is a great place for reviews

5. Dysentery Bob

Dysentery Bob BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!

Jan 29, 2004
  6. kozak6

kozak6

Dec 28, 2005
    Avoid the Sony Fontopia MDR-EX51LP ear buds.

They sound and fit awesome, except the coating on the wires wears off almost instantly, and there are also problems with sound cutting out on one side.

7. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
  8. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    The stock ipod headphones are total crap.

The basic Sony $12 headphones are actually quite good. I'm sure the $30+ headphones available are better, but I'm kinda rough on mine, so I stick with the cheaper ones so I don't get so upset if I ruin them (usually I pull the wires out).

BTW, I'm one of those guys who can tell the difference between a 256 and 320 bitrate .mp3; I have very sensitive and discerning ears. And the cheap Sony ones sound pretty good for the money.

9. Razzierb

Razzierb

Jun 26, 2003
    I use a pair of the Sonys as well that are way better than what Apple supplies. I no longer remember the model number, but they are sold by Amazon for less than $30. As a sidebar, Consumers Report rated this particular model as a "best buy" that and claimed that they produce better sound than other more expensive models.

Just looked it up: Sony MDR-ED21LP Fontopia In-The-Ear Headphones (currently less than $14 @ Amazon)

10. GarageBoy

GarageBoy

May 23, 2003
    www.head-fi.org

My favorite cheapies are JVC marshmallows modded to take shure E2C tips

Other good cheapies are the Sennheiser CX300, Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3

11. jfindon

jfindon

Dec 12, 2006
    Bose blows.

I also say get the CX300s.

12. kozak6

kozak6

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm actually using the JVC Marshmallows right now.

They do sound pretty good, especially for the price, except I didn't recommend them because the foam earplug style tips wear kind of quickly.

Which Shure E2C tip do you use? The foam or the rubber? What do you have to do in order to fit them?

13. cpk

cpk Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2002
    headfi.org and try the ksc75 or ksc35

14. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    Etymotic. (If you appreciate good sound and don't mind the feeling of a wet worm crawling up your ear canal.)

15. GarageBoy

GarageBoy

May 23, 2003
    On the mashmallows, I'm running E2C, single flange silicone tips, though some use the foams (personal pref)..
    You basically remove the stock tip and the rubber tube below, and stretch the tips right over it.

There's a mod that kills the highs a little to, if you find them too piercing. You remove the paper filter and stuff a little headphone ear pad foam in there

16. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    Ultimate Ears super.fi Pro are my current earphones. The dual driver technology really takes music listening to another level. Highly recommended.

17. UnknownVT

UnknownVT

Feb 15, 2003
    Here's a bargain of sorts -

The Philips HE591 "surround sound" earbuds (in black) listing on Amazon with lots of users review (including mine) - read the one by George McAdams - they sound really good to me and I have lots of quality headphone experience - read my review either at Amazon or PriceGrabber.
    they are also available in white to match the iPod the model is HE592

Read also user reviews at Pricegrabber.com

They seem to get mixed reviews - but the people who like them REALLY like them - the people who do not - HATE them.

But from Amazon MarketPlace they can be as low as $1.44 used - if that sounds UNhygenic - the soft earbud tips are removable and one can sanitize them before use.....
    They are also available new from WalMart for $15 -
    like I said - Bargain!

I like them enough I bought a second pair.

Hope this helps,

--
    Vincent
    http://clik.to/UnknownVT2007
    http://clik.to/UnknownVT2006
    http://clik.to/UnknownVT2005
    http://clik.to/UnknownVT2004
    http://clik.to/UnknownVincent

18. GarageBoy

GarageBoy

May 23, 2003
    Also, Westone UM1/UM2 (2 for dedicated high and low freq balanced armature drivers) fall under the same category as the Super Fis

19. flava

flava

Mar 3, 2000
    I use the Koss Porta Pro (can't stand earbuds). One of the best headphones ever. :thumbup: They use a bit more pocket space though ;)

20. Knife_Geek

Knife_Geek Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2007
    I just ordered these babys from crutchfield. they are the Sennheiser PMX200 Portable sealed back headphones. 56.98 shipped. they are the excercise freindly behind the ear phones and reviews for similar models all point to exceptional quality and cristal clear sound.