Is it getting hard to purchase in the 400 to 600 range for USA?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by J85909266, Feb 17, 2021.

1. The Aflac Duck

The Aflac Duck Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I’ve seen all of these available in the last few months. Microtech, LG, Protech, and Spartan all have a production schedule and make stuff in batches. Once they sell out you have to be patient until the next batch comes around or buy on the secondary.

Sign up for Les George’s news letter. Follow Microtech and Protech on Instagram, it’s where they announce what’s in production. Who knows what CRK is doing, but lately they are weird. Hinderer? But one and dress it up like a Barbie until you’re happy with it.

Persistence is key. Email dealers. Email manufacturers. Sign up for newsletters. That’s what I do and rarely miss out on stuff I want. If you’re just scrolling through dealer sites and using Google, you’ll spend more time than necessary looking for your fix, just gotta go directly to the plug.

Knives&Lint, grybsh7, Lee D and 6 others like this.
  2. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006

If you already know why ask

3. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Just an fyi...you may want to edit out your “bad” word in post # 13.

This is General Knife Discussion and curse words are against the rules. :)

4. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Just a thought, maybe some of those stimulus checks are stimulating some purchases, but not for me.

5. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Well, if you're looking to spend $425, the new version of the Cold Steel 4Max is that price and in stock. I'm not sure it is a good value though...

6. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I'll ask it again since you were rude to the last guy, trust you with what? Knowing how to buy high end USA production knives? Trust you that you know what you are doing? Trust you that you aren't blowing smoke? I don't think anyone was questioning you.

Seems like the @The Aflac Duck gave you a very good answer. I've been in the knife game a little bit and have never not gotten something I was after. It may take a little persistence. It make take a bit more cash. Luck can help. Ever been on a CPK Friday sale?

Seems to me you have a good problem. Time to up your knife buying game to match your wallet and desire for shiny things.

7. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    High level US production folders are limited. There's more demand than supply and due to that it feels as if some have become stagnant. I would recommend keeping an eye on the secondary, as has been said, or to branch out to makers from other countries. Have you tried a Shirogorov?

8. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I think it's a combination of a lot of things.

1. Demand appears to be at an all-time high, exemplified by the GEC craze. Whether its due to a growth in "EDC Awareness" by the metro crowd or other effects, tasteful, quality knives seem to be as popular as ever. Just like a grown-out beard.
    2. Most US mid-tech manufacturers have seen their operations shuttered or slowed for almost a year now by Corona. This current winter storm in the mid-continent will set back production in affected areas by a week or more. It seems like the hits keep on coming. I know this is recent history but the impact on production of everything from widgets to mid-tech knives is significant.
    3. Much of what formerly would have been "US Mid-Tech" is now manufactured in China by makers like Reate, WE, Tuya. Smaller US brands that would have been made domestically 5 to 10 years ago are now made overseas. If you were open to non-USA sourced knives, you'd find a plethora of options available in the mid-tech price range. Some are really excellent. Russia is also a source of some high quality mid-techs. Check out Shirogorov and Cheburkov knives.
    4. As others have said, you need to tap into how these smaller shops announce and sell their production runs. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are the key platforms to get updates and have a shot at limited production runs. As these makers rely more and more on social media, we'll see a continued impact on #1 above as it puts their product in front of a non-knife knut audience. I'm not sure how much you use social media but it's becoming a necessity to follow the high demand makers.
    5. There hasn't been a major industry show since...SHOT 2020? Many of the smaller domestic manufacturers rely on shows and conventions to get their products out in front of people
    6. I understand the desire for an pristine knife that is only and all your own, especially at a higher price point. I've had great luck on the Exchange here and once you find a group of sellers you trust you can have a great experience finding LNIB deals.

Good luck!

9. Eliteone2383

Eliteone2383 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2015
    I'm trying to get a crk to present to my son the day he graduates (hes only 2 right now)
    Crk isn't even taking orders for the blade and inlays I want right now.

10. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    It took me nearly a year of looking to find a custom Laconico EZC and it popped up right here in the Exchange. Perfect example, no use at all.

11. Demand is up and a lot of manufacturers were shut down for at least part of last year. For the higher-end production makers with already limited capacity, that downtime creates a shortage. Most of these knives were never particularly easy to find to begin with.

For some of those brands, particularly Microtech and ProTech, manuals are a very small part of what they do. I think Microtech makes one manual as part of it's regular lineup (SOCOM, which retails way under $400) and while ProTech makes a few manuals, only the limited-edition versions hit $400.

How about Olamic?

12. rileybassman1

rileybassman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Add to all this that raw materials are harder to get/more expensive as well... dumb comparison, but some guitar strings have been a lot harder to get with all this stuff going on lately and cost has gone up a lot... there's other things too - but metal refineries and other supply chains have taken a hit too.

13. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I think knife people are starting to come to the conclusion that a Sebenza, Arius, etc are probably the epitome of EDC carry nowadays. Custom knife guys (like myself) are abandoning custom knives in favor of high quality production models. Guys that are used to spending under $400 are finding ways to graduate up to these more expensive production knives.

In short >>>>> low production + high demand.

Custom knives are definitely not as popular as they once were. Trust me. :p

BTW I have bought second hand knives with success but for production knives I also prefer to buy new.

14. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Everyone has probably hit it on the head. And while I can totally understand the "why won't someone take my money!?" mentality, it grates on me personally in a totally-not-their-fault-so-Im-not-going-to-be-a-jerk-about-it way simply because I am living and breathing it right now. I work in construction in an industry with a very, very, VERY ridiculously high demand due to "the new normal" (I'm talking demand we haven't seen in nearly 70 years of doing this), and I answer this question at least 6 times a day in as much detail as I can. Many of my customers have no idea how logistics work. They are the kind of folks that can't think past the back warehouse as to how stuff gets on the floors of Walmart.

Here's the best way I can (probably and with an admittedly large pinch of speculation) sum it up:

The world is a dumpster fire, we all know. However, it seems that the pandemic has really drawn a tangible line in the sand between the Haves and the Have-Nots. The news focuses on the folks without jobs and behind on their rent and in food lines...as it should. Lotta folks out there hurting in an awful way even if they haven't been touched by Covid first hand. I do not envy those folks and count my blessings that I am on the opposite side of the spectrum and will be happy to help anyone who needs it. This has been a really ugly past year.

However, there is a very wide swath of folks who are doing just fine, as are my customers. Working from home, making the same or more money, and plenty of time to browse the net for a new toy, or carpeting, or a pool, or a kitchen, or whatever. They can't go anywhere. Vacations are on hold. So what's a person with means to do? Spend money on something else, so it might as well be something that they want because they are bored (I mean that in a nearly clinical sense. We are ALL bored with the world), or an upgrade to the house or maybe just build a new house because money is so damn cheap to borrow right now.

They have driven demand to unprecedented and, frankly unhealthy and unsustainable, levels that will have a massive ripple effect for YEARS after this. It's insane. Last year, it was all about understanding the virus, being safe, and figuring how to operate manufacturing in a safe way. They've gotten that ironed out for the most part. It's not perfect, but it was at less than 30% in many manufacturing trades dealing with a 300% uptick in demand. Getting the machines back on and at least keeping up near to pace is astonishing.

However, demand just keeps going up. Where are the vaccines? When are they coming? Well I guess I'm not traveling this year either...let's go ahead an buy X. It's gotten to the point that in my industry the actual manufacturers are getting THEIR steel supplies from the mills on a rationed timeline. I dont think folks understand just how whisker thin of a margin we are from almost all construction and manufacturing of durable goods grinding to a halt because there simply isn't any raw material to turn into shiny new toys/houses. When you have an event that simultaneously affects the flow of raw goods AND finished goods on the macroeconomic global scale, all bets are off on how long it takes to play out.

So 2021 is probably just going to be a sucky year if you want to buy new knives, or guns, or video game consoles, or kitchens, or pools, or houses, or lumber, or furniture, or ammo, or roofing, or fences, or cars...etc. A lot of us are going to be very disappointed when it comes to our hobbies and our wants. Disappointed but gainfully employed. At least until all dries up and we are out of work too. Every business, every job, depends on something being made at some level.

15. Fire King

Fire King Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2020
    The above post has information I agree with.

I want to add: When I put time and effort into finding a knife that I want (or whatever) I can usually get at least some return on that time investment. Starting this winter or year, my time and energy has shifted for whatever reason and the less time spent knife hunting, along with increased demand, has meant that the results or return on my time investment is less.

Best of luck.

16. The 4-Max Elite is made in Italy, so not really relevant to this thread.

17. J85909266

J85909266

Jun 6, 2005
    Thank you for the reply. It made me feel a little less crazy. I've just been buying these kinds of knives for a while and never had an issue finding them for sale like I do these days and wanted to talk about it. I genuinely appreciate and understand what you are saying.

18. BJE

BJE

Apr 12, 2006
    @Steely_Gunz, that’s a very insightful post. Helps me make some sense of the insanity that is the current situation.

As someone who was making decent money before Covid, and who has always been regularly employed since I was legally able to work, it’s been hard for me to be unemployed, even harder for me to keep putting in apps and never getting calls, I have never had an issue finding a job until now.

On top of that, we have political term oil, and the ammo shortage leaves me with a bad feeling.
    My son can’t even have a normal school schedule, between constant close downs due to virus scares and the winter weather this month, I never know the day before if he will have school or not.

The last six to eight months have been depressing for sure.

As to the “take my money” issue, I have had a hard time buying hay at any price, due to a bad crop, prices have doubled when you can find any and it’s not choice hay.
    I can live without being able to buy new knives and ammo, but my animals have to eat something.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    000Robert likes this.
  19. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    What about getting that animated baby yoda to hold you over till a decent knife pops up?

20. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    This is an excellent idea