Is it just me or is the Anthem not really a looker? Disappointed purchase

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by BloodyDonnie, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    Confused as to your title saying the knife isn’t really a “looker”. Did you not see pictures of it before you bought it?

Brusiedmeat likes this.
  2. Silent H

Silent H Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I mean, he did explain how the finish and color on his appeared different than in the pictures online. It's a valid argument, different lighting can cause the finish to appear differently. It's kinda hard to convey all that in a title though.

BloodyDonnie likes this.
  3. Brusiedmeat

Brusiedmeat Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2015
    I really like the Anthem.. My only complain was the clip and that can quickly be fixed. The rounded finished spine on the blade reminds me of a Sebenza finish, very smooth action.

4. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    What a strange thing to complain about on a public forum. I'm sorry you did not like your knife, but your requirements for what makes a knife good seem to peculiar that it doesn't seem fair to hold any manufacturer to them...

loon#r likes this.
  5. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Shoulda got a sebenza! ;) lol.

I didnt like the anthem either at first...feels like a brick...still don’t like it.
    Glad it worked out for you OP.

loon#r likes this.
  6. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    at the expense of repeating myself, "sheesh, whatever..."
    ETA: I have several knives that the blade touches the table when laying on it's side, 0450CF comes to mind...

7. BloodyDonnie

BloodyDonnie Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Alright so I messaged many knife modders and none of them polish. Just got this mastercraft rotary tool kit for a bargain, on sale for $35 from $129, and some polishing compound. Time to go to town on this blade! Finally getting rid of that stonewash
    20200609_143825.jpg

Makael and Cypress like this.
  8. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Lol. What? That's what bothers you?

Lee D likes this.
  9. BloodyDonnie

Oct 14, 2017
    Yes, because its gonna end up with a rolled tip

10. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    How do you figure?

11. Darkera

Darkera

Oct 22, 2016
    Since this post I've started thinking about how the tips of my knives rest (you've implanted a strange idea into my head), and I noticed that all my kitchen knives rest tip-down on the surface. If there is one knife that gets picked up and placed on a hard surface (quartz countertop in my case) the most, it is a kitchen knife.

I have to admit that I rarely put a folding knife down on a surface while it is opened, my reflex is to close it before putting it down unless I'm picking it up and putting it down constantly for a particular job/task. The Axis lock is so easy to open/close, why not just try to change your workflow?

12. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Relying on tiny balls for smooth action shouldn’t be a thing, including knives...

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  13. Babyboomer

Babyboomer

Nov 25, 2017
    I see what you did there — :)

loon#r likes this.
  14. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007

That may be rhe pickiest of nits/non issue complaint I have never seen.

I mean no offense, really, but a blade lying flat when I open it, and set it on a table has never even occurred to me as an issue. I also don't believe I will ever add that to a list of boxes to check.....

Lee D likes this.
  15. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Someday I hope to get an anthem and mod it by milling down the grooves in the middle of the handle and putting in c.f. inserts. That would be dope, IF I didn't mess it up.

Speaking of messing things up, I recommend not using the rotary to polish right by the edge, and dip in water frequently. Then finish the polish at the edge manually. Even if you are only using a felt wheel with polish, that can overheat a thin edge.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  16. Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Wait...what??? A rolled tip from setting your knife down?

If that happens, your knife is made of taffy?

If you really think it is an issue, set the knife down on the side without the clip???

32 years of using knives.... and never had even the slightest issue with a blade tip dulling, let alone rolling from setting the knife down, and having the weight of the tip make the side of the tip/blade touch.

As for taking a dremmel to the blade, I have seen very poor results from doing so.

Make sure you don't care about loss of value/resale before taking a rotary tool to the surface of your knife.

But I look forward to your results.

Lee D and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  17. BloodyDonnie

Oct 14, 2017
    So just an update. I just got a Sebenza 31 in Boomerang Damascus and the tip touches the table. I guess i was pretty silly to think this I a big deal if such a legendary knife did this too. Anyways it doesnt bother me anymore.

As for the polishing on my Anthem, it turned out great! I polished the axis lock and the thumb studs, and did the grind face to a satin/semi polish. I kept the stonewash on the flat face and also did as best I could to tape up the logo to preserve it, which proved to be worth the trouble.

Here they are 20200617_135246.jpg 20200615_125352.jpg

pnsxyr and Julian Williams like this.
  18. Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    The polish job turned out good.

19. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Jimmy, sent you a pm.

20. chank

chank

Dec 25, 2015
    literally every knife that has a pocket clip will do this if you set it down on the clip. at least it happens on all of mine that i've checked, from CRK's to shiros (and benchmades!). if it's an issue, lay the knife down clip up. problem solved.