1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Is there a Kershaw/Kai rep here?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by JTR357, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    Sorry, but hard disagree. There were certainly trolls, but he consistently engaged and escalated disagreements with forum members, regardless of the forum they occurred in. I'll grant that he was deeply passionate about Kershaw products, but it was to the point that he took complaints as personal attacks.

coinbuysell, marcinek and Quiet like this.
  2. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Oh look, another thread where the former KAI forum mod (who left in a huge emotional rageout) is painted out to be a saint by people who received free knives*, and the blame laid at the feet of Bladeforums members who were just "complainers" again. God, it's the same beat every time. Poor Thomas. Poor KAI. BF people are so mean.

Just trash. Thomas was antagonistic towards anyone who said anything even remotely critical about KAI products. It was nonsense.

* Heh, probably just a coincidence :rolleyes:

3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Yes, but he was acting as an official representative of the company. It wasn't a favor, it was his job.

As a manufacturer rep/mod you got to play the role of CS rep here on "your" forum, or disallow customer service or negative discussion entirely in it. He did neither and got bent outta shape about it, and, if I recall, threatened members OUTSIDE of the KAI subforum for expressing negative opinions about KAI.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  4. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Yup. And the escalation outside of his forum as fine....his thinly veiled threats to take action (whether he could or couldn't) were not.

5. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    CS has a rep moderating the thread in the Cold Steel forum. That mod could shut that thread down at any time. Again, that's nobody's fault but their own.

The Cold Steel thread/threads in General? CS can't do diddly about those and they shouldn't be allowed to. That's for BF mods to decide, not CS ones.

If not this place starts turning into other forums from the past, where free expression across the board was limited by certain powerful supporting makers/manufacturers.

6. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I met Thomas many times at Blade and he was always awesome. A dope cat to talk to, and chill with in the Pit. I’m proud to call him a friend. It’s easy to pop smack about someone online, but when it’s face to face I guess it’s not so easy...but whatever, I’m sure he’s doing well at KAI as they continue to kill it. As far as a KAI company rep being here, nope and I don’t think it’s needed really. The KAI subforum was a cool place to hang but it’s ended as all things do eventually so no biggie.

Call me a fanboy, brown noser, watevs, don’t matter to me, I’ll keep doing me and keep stuntin and strutin with a KAI product in my pocket.

JuJu- likes this.
  7. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Since that's the rules for them to have a subforum, then, yeah, it is.

8. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    So no subforum needed either! See, 2 birds 1 stone!

9. JuJu-

JuJu- Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Thomas was and is a great guy in my book. Met him numerous times, had a few drinks together, talked about many things other than knives. Always a gracious person.

Unfortunately the subforum came to an end like most good things do sooner or later. Met a ton of great people in there and still talk to quite a few of them today.
    Still carry mostly Kershaw and Zt knives myself. Still highly recommend them for price, materials, and craftsmanship.

As far a sub reopened here, i highly doubt it. Try their social media is my guess. Unfortunately Covid has phuqerd up a lot of things for a lot of people. Have some patience and they'll take care of you.

Best,

Justin

metsfan likes this.
  10. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    I've also spoken with Thomas once or twice over the phone. He's a good dude as far as I'm concerned.

Also kinda handsome...

11. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    That's OK. I remember him as being very sensitive at times, and just as bad as the trolls that go under his skin. And if he was having a bad day... sheesh. I try to ignore the personal attack threads as they have a tendency to go on and on as people really seem to enjoy getting their cute, snarky two cents in on a flame war. They are quickly devolved off topic.

I am disappointed to hear that Thomas gave away free knives. Guess I wasn't a big enough fan (or butt hurt enough) to merit one...

All I know that I can speak of is what I read when the forum was active, and when he and I emailed back and forth. To me, (no doubt someone will correct my opinion) he was absolutely the wrong man for the job of moderator. I quit participating a while before it closed as it was more of a battle ground than an fun or informative forum. Who has time for all the online bickering?

I never mind anyone that disagrees with my opinion or doesn't have the same personal experience. I seem to be at odds in life with a few folks. I don't mind at all a thoughtful or informative response.

But the self righteous blast of caustic diarrhea spewed on the screen calling out folks as liars (but not the balls to do it outright... come on Oswald... take the shot!! ) for their own personal experience or bashing them for their opinion gets a little old. Simple lack of respect for one another, which seem to be the norm these days just about everywhere. Surprised to see it so much here on BF, but now I write it off the trolls as plain old cyber-bullying. They don't merit a response.

Robert

12. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    This is a line that I consistently hear about Thomas and I don't fully understand it. I don't think he is or was a bad person, I think he was a bad moderator. I would have no issue with saying that to his face because I genuinely don't see the insult there. You can feel free to tell me to my face I'm a bad welder or a poor systems analyst and I promise I won't be offended and will, in fact, agree with you.

fishface5 likes this.
  13. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Sir, I think you nailed it. Loved the last couple of sentences... I feel the same!

After seeing the way Thomas handled things on the KAI group, I honestly wondered a few times if there weren't underlying issues with him personally. He had no "steady hand on the tiller". He was so hot and cold at the end of both his attempts to moderate I honestly thought he was bipolar.

Robert

14. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Sounds like, aside for thomas, the rep, there needed to be a ball busting forum moderator.

15. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    It would be nice for a different person to give it another go..:thumbsup::D:thumbsup: Times change and people move on..;)
    John

Chronovore likes this.