1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Is This Maker's Mark Too Complicated?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by redsquid2, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    I take pride in my work, and I want to have a mark that is mine and mine alone, so I worked on it awhile and I came up with something that I think is unique. I need to be able to etch it into some smaller blades as small as 3/4" wide.

This mark incorporates letters from the names of some of my best friends, and the letters are all morphed and stylized, which makes it go way over the top in terms of cool factor.

Is it too complicated?

If there is something you would change about it, please let me know.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    In my opinion, yes.
    If someone was looking for you as the maker, could they google that?

12345678910 and Keith Nix like this.
  3. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Looks great, don’t change a thing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    DanF and Coy Ranch like this.
  4. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    Yes, too complicated.

5. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Maybe if I bring all the design elements closer together, scrunch everything in more.

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Even at 4"X4" it looks too complicated. I can't imagine how it would even be discernable at 1/2" wide.

mknife likes this.
  7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo

May 20, 2017
    Way too busy

8. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2012
    This is the reason I stuck with my name and location. A cool design would have been more fun, but when you're unknown, I think a name is the best way to go.

This is the one I came up with, and had a couple steel stamps and a leather stamp made:

[​IMG]

redsquid2, Ken H> and Natlek like this.
  9. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I think that will make it look even more busy and confusing.

I always think of it like, in 50 years if someone gets your knife will they be able to figure out who made it?

Ken H> likes this.
  10. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    In my personal opinion it's too complex, and I feel it's ugly, an assault on the eyes. Once you squeeze it down it will not even be recognizable.

Look at the world's most recognizable logos and most are so simple but grab your eye: Nike, Apple, Mercedes-Benz, McDonald's. Even the complex ones have an elegance that pleases the eye: Starbucks, Coca-Cola.

Why make a beautifully designed knife then add something way too busy that will detract from it?

Edited to add: On the flip side, I totally feel that one's knives should be an expression of your creativity. Don't listen to me if this design really expresses exactly what you want. But at the same time, don't be surprised if it hurts sales.

redsquid2 likes this.
  11. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    Way too complicated to recognize easily. I think my mark (which is my avatar) is borderline busy.

12. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    It is too complicated and you will need/want some kind of print on it that people can search/lookup to find you. It has a wonderful artistic element to it but seems like it would be too difficult to stamp and costly to etch into anything.

redsquid2 likes this.
  13. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Okay. It ‘s missing something. If I move things around, I can put a picture of a squirrel and a picture of a rabbit, and then a very tiny picture of an elk somewhere in there

milkbaby likes this.
  14. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Just by coincidence, this mark also signifies something that was revealed to me in a dream, specifically that the Venturi tubes will rise from the chaos, and that the voices of the dancers who have been hanged shall echo from the mountains.

milkbaby likes this.
  15. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    Aaaaand I just noticed the title of this thread. Well played sir, well played.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    redsquid2 likes this.
  16. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Seems busy, and limiting to me. I have no idea what it is supposed to mean, what the symbols are. You are limiting where you can put it and size as well.

What is your name??

I had an uncle making knives for a long time with just his name. He then came up with a neat logo that incorporated his name. But, you could still clearly read his name.

Many if my favorite Mark's are just the makers name, or name plus easily identifiable symbol like Loveless and the lady, or my uncle's Logo Hornby with a rams head with horns behind/above the name.

There are makers with symbols that I recognize, but only because I have followed their careers. If I found one, in a pawn shop, later, would I know who made the knife if I did not already know them??

redsquid2 and Natlek like this.
  17. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    Really?

18. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    This cracks me up. I appreciate your honesty.

19. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Something you should change?
    Yep. Everything.

redsquid2 likes this.
  20. Augus7us

Augus7us

Oct 9, 2014
    Wow talented people leaving the site every week and you string along a bunch of guys trying to help you, with this dumb shit.

For the record I'm fairly certain he's done this exact thing in the past. Look at his avatar...

redsquid2
    Can't Wait Til April 1
    Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Ken H> and Josh Rider like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.