Issues with a Grizly grinder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by MoSmith, Feb 26, 2021.

1. MoSmith

MoSmith

May 28, 2017
    I've got a Grizzly grinder that has issues with the belt tracking. The belt will be way off to the right and as I adjust the tracking knob it will gradually move left and then suddenly jump way left until it is only half-way on the platen. I'll start going back to the right and it does the same thing in that direction. Any ideas on what's wrong?

2. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Usually this will either mean that you need more tension, or that particular belt is junk.
    See if you have enough tension and try other belts.

SBuzek likes this.
  3. MoSmith

MoSmith

May 28, 2017
    OK, sounds good. I'll try both of these tomorrow/
    Thank you for this

SBuzek likes this.
  4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Almost surely - more tension.

SBuzek and LCoop like this.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't remember what happened to mine, but I think it had something to do with the tensioning mechanism being loose.
    Remove the belt and check it.
    You can also extend the arm an inch or two for more tension.

SBuzek and LCoop like this.
  6. disduster

disduster Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    @MoSmith i had a similar issue with mine. There is some YouTube vids out there about fixing the issue. Wrapping 2 or 3 layers of electric tape round the middle of the drive wheel fixed it for me.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  7. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    I've had a Grizzly for along time. I think I took a file to the drive wheel to give it a little crown to make it track better. I'd try disduster's electrical tape wrap to see if an increased crown helps.

8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    It does, significantly. I've got a good thick layer of electrical tape 'round the middle of my tracking wheel and it works wonderfully.

9. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Don't do the electrical tape thing. The grizzly will track fine if it’s tuned properly. Keep in mind, they are not a TW-90, Bader or a Northridge.

Take a file to the edges of the drive wheel, as it states in the setup instructions. There are also fine tuning adjustments that need to be made to the platen and idler wheel. The platen(adjustable) should be in line with the drive wheel(fixed) and the Idler Wheel(adjustable)

Get the idle and drive wheels lined up before you engage the platen. You do this by running the belt for a few seconds, adjusting the tracking so it rides square to the drive wheel and taking note of how the belt lies on the idler wheel. Let's say it is overhanging by 1/4" on the right side of the wheel. Loosen the screws that hold the idler axle and slide it to the right 1/4"... then tighten it up and run the belt. Adjust the tracking again to line up on the drive and take note of how it lies on the idler. Repeat this process until the belt runs perfectly in the middle of both wheels. Now you can align your platen to push out the belt a bit. You are probably going to want to peel off the horrible graphite pad on the platen, too.... useless. The spring can be tensioned as tight as most other grinders... you just have to raise the upper arm.

Grizzlies are not made to run true out of the box, with the idler pushed all the way to the left. You will be fighting it and end up wearing out the bearings sooner than if it is tuned properly. These are the grinders I use and sell for my courses. I have tuned 6 of these in my shop, so far and helped dozens of folks tune theirs. My first one has been running true since 2003.

Sorry for the sideways pics... i tried three time to upload them and it keeps flipping them.

Rick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  10. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    This is the problem with the Grizzly. Although it has fairly decent power, it has lousy tracking. This is because it is a two wheel design and because it is undersprung. A heavier spring for the tension would help. And as has been mentioned, the belt can wander if the top wheel doesn't have enough crown. Others have modified their Grizzlies with a third wheel made from a skateboard wheel etc. which will add stability and better tracking.

11. MoSmith

MoSmith

May 28, 2017
    I just wanted to post a quick Thank You to all the folks that helped me. It turned out to be just the tension. I increased that and it now tracks perfectly. Thank you all again.

12. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Yes! What do I win?

Glad you got it sorted out.