1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    That tackle box is an American treasure!

I got a treasure off the bay, albeit more straight-laced. Behold:

20190613_211247-1512x2016.jpg 20190613_211153-1512x2016.jpg 20190613_211238-1512x2016.jpg 20190613_211129-1512x2016.jpg

Interestingly the lugs on my other one are swept back. This one is easy to date with the take up wedge. I'm just going to keep this one for posterity. I really love these things, and having one in incredible condition to keep and one to use is fantastic.

2. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Alright, it's a good example of the edge shaped the way it should be, but often isn't.

A17, ithinkverydeeply and Fmont like this.
  3. Curt Hal

Curt Hal Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Looking forward to my next project. It has nice narrow cheeks. I have a nicely grained 32 haft that will make this 3 1/2 pounder into a handy feller. EFB86CFB-3ABF-4168-B92A-07C76C097613.jpeg

4. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I also got a couple things that were hiding in my van and missed the picture. Stamp on the wedge looks like it says “Towns Fall”? The Proto pliers and screwdriver are very similar to last weeks find...
    [​IMG]
    I still don’t know what that brush utter looking thing is, I’m hoping someone can help?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Thats a ordinary strapped haft brush hook thats been broken.

ithinkverydeeply and garry3 like this.
  6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I stopped by a place yesterday and got a Time Life book that was part of an "Old West" series from the 70's, this one being named, "The Loggers." A fun browse with cool photos and interesting tales. Also a NOS Nicholson 12" half round, double cut bastard.

A17, junkenstien, Yankee Josh and 3 others like this.
  7. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Thanks! It sounds so plain when you say it like that. ;)

Yankee Josh likes this.
  8. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    It's in amazing condition for a hatchet old enough to have a take-up screw.

Fmont and junkenstien like this.
  9. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019

"BLO"?

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  10. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Boiled Linseed Oil

11. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    My family went by to wish my father-in-law a happy Father's day today. He had found out a few months back that I enjoyed working on old axes and had looked around his old shop and found several which he gave me today. Two woodslasher db, one knotklipper db, one Collins sb, one ?? M db, and a bush axe blade. Should keep me busy for a while.
    https://flic.kr/p/2gfeGKS

rjdankert, A17, garry3 and 5 others like this.
  12. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    Thank you!

other than for finishing the wood what does soaking in "BLO" accomplish?

I know what soaking an axe head in Vinegar does, For quicker results I've used both Citric and Oxalic acid as well as Muriatic/Hydrochloric, I've used Hydrofluoric Acid, but don't like working with it or near it.

IF you are brave and equipped to do so molten Sodium Hydroxide also removes rust, Molten Potassium Nitrate can make a corrosion resistant coating on steel, that technique is often used on small gun parts.

garry3 and Yankee Josh like this.
  13. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Nice score fly rod that’s some real good ones.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  14. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Give to me while I was walking the dog about an hour ago never seen one this big.[​IMG]

15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The BLO nourishes and protects the wood.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  16. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    Happy father's day to all the dads out there!

This cruiser came home with me yesterday. No maker's mark but nice full bits and a quick file test reveals good hard steel. It does look like someone attempted to polish the head, but stopped after about 150 grit...ugh.

The handle is actually what caught my eye more so than the head, nice grain, slim, and straight as an arrow. Too often I find nice old handles with huge bends in them. One of these days I'll take a stab at steam straightening, in the meantime I'll just treasure the nice hafts when I find them.

Now the question is, re-hang this head on the same haft, or wait for a "nicer" cruiser to come along. Hmm...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. DanH45

DanH45

Feb 12, 2015
    220 grit, scotchbrite satin finish, and re-hang!

When a "nicer" cruiser comes, you know you want to make your own haft.

Travbud1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  18. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    This^^ Rehang!

Travbud1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  19. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Travelbud1-- Nice Cruiser. I would rehang on the original haft. But, I would set the head lower, right above the swell, right where it belongs.

Miller '72, A17, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  20. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I vote rehang as well! You said the steel had good temper and it's a nice full pattern.
    Plus if you start "saving" handles you might end up with another storage problem! 15607400524066868925649177063569.jpg
    Lol. These are just the best ones! Haha. My girlfriend is like "babe do you really need another handle?" I say "yeah"!! And happy father's day!