1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It's 2019 now people!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by milkbaby, Feb 20, 2019.

1. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    Ocelot85 likes this.
  2. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    OMG

"Edge Packing" rises its head lol

3. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    edge packing has been known about for hundreds of years and continues to straddle the line between art and science. Perhaps right up there with quenching with quench tank north 'n South to prevent warp?

Rhinoknives1, Kentucky and Ocelot85 like this.
  4. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker

Dec 7, 2006
    Bullshit sells

Storm Crow, DanF, Ocelot85 and 3 others like this.
  5. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    Does he also quench his blades in the blood of tigers on the full moon to imbue them with the savagery of a apex predator?

I just found this video of the master bladesmith testing one of his 1,200 dollar edge packed high performance knives on Youtube.

Damn, look at that performance.

I can't believe he was able to bend it to the limit like that! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    allenkey likes this.
  6. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    LOL That sharpness test was laughable! It barely cut it at all.

Ocelot85 likes this.
  7. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    It's amazing how well it bounces back from being bent 10 degrees! :D

I especially like how he explains how you need to clamp it at the tip so you get a nice gentle curve when you bend it... :rolleyes:

8. cotdt

cotdt

Oct 2, 2006
    please no more of this "edge packing" theory!

plus all knives are forged at some time in the steel's production process. After this point the stock removal method is going to be faster and more efficient. The forgers need to come up with knife shapes and designs not possible with stock removal in order to demonstrate the advantage.

9. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Still amazes me how many will still believe the b.s., and argue to the end for what they just know to be true because some idiot said it was so.

10. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    I used to work with a butcher that kept his knives in a pyramid shaped box. He claimed that he never needed to sharpen them because "pyramid power" kept them sharp.

Hengelo_77, Coy Ranch and DanF like this.
  11. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    And wear one on your head to increase your IQ by leaps and bounds and it keeps aliens and the CIA from reading your thoughts! :/

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  12. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Sigh. And the world is flat too.

13. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    I used to have a McWilliams knife. Nice blade.

14. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    My stock removal knives have tons of 'energy' in them. Along with blood, sweat, and tears. I think I have an edge there. :p

Also if you only grind on a blood wolf moon it tends to align the grain and pack the edge just like forging.

Coy Ranch, Rhinoknives1 and Ken H> like this.
  15. tr3yanderson

tr3yanderson

Mar 6, 2017
    This is what I’m talking about, as I’m new to making knives I’ve been wanting to learn the “secrets the master blacksmiths don’t want to tell you.” I’m actually developing a new secret method of making knives never before done. Got a patent going as well...forging steel and magnets in a several layer Damascus. As you know magnets can be used to make electricity. The magnetic power forged into the blade creates electricity and that current forces the grains to always stay aligned. Stays sharp forever and never rolls because of the magnetic/electrical pull. The trick is you have to make sure and quench with it pointing north while with your quench tank connected to a DC power supply. NEVER to AC, had to learn that the hard way...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Brock Cutlery likes this.
  16. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    I am still convinced flat earthers know they are full of it, but are just trolling

DanF likes this.
  17. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    (From his website.)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My guess is he'll remain thirty years in the future, too... I just don't reckon we'll ever get that far. :D

18. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Remember that there is a increasing amount of members of the Flat Earth Society all around the Earth!:D

Hengelo_77 and DanF like this.
  19. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    Edge packing is the responsible choice...otherwise someone can get cut

20. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    The way the world is getting lately, it's starting to sound like a reasonable thing to me too. Return to saner times. ;)

LCoop and Rhinoknives1 like this.