It's been a while, Cantina

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Voodoo, May 7, 2011.

1. Voodoo

Voodoo

Jul 7, 2005
    So I thought I'd create an entire thread dedicated to how much I've missed you all.

I never was much of a poster before. More of a sit back and listen to those wiser than I type. Mostly I'd save most posts for sharking. Still, being able to get back here and having the chance to read up on what's been happening (which I haven't quite done yet) feels a lot like dropping back in to my favorite watering hole.

As for my absence, I've been spending a lot of time getting everything in order since I left the Army and am getting ready to welcome my first son into the world (a little smoke for a safe and easy birth would be much appreciated there, if the mood strikes you), but now I get to buy a new khuk to cut the cord with. The plan is to get a small one that, when he's old enough, can be his first khuk as well. All that and trying to start a new job while getting a business started (if anyone wants to help quality control...it's a microbrewery) has kept me pretty beat when I have down time.

On a note that gives everyone something to talk about, what are your suggestions for that first khuk that will one day be little Wyatt's?

2. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Aho Voodoo! I'm not around nearly as much as I used to be either but hey, that's not what it's all about in my mind... I'm not sure if the little Biltons are still being made or not but a khukuri in that size would be a perfect choice for a beginner's kukri!!!

3. 7rip13a

7rip13a

Jul 2, 2009
    Congratulations on the boy! If you need a small khuk, can't get much better than a 12 inch AK.:)

4. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    Welcome back.

5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Glad to make your acquaintance, Voodoo.

Good stuff!

6. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Welcome, welcome, welcome back:)

Congrats on your first child. As a relatively new dad, all I can say is that is that it honestly can't be put in words. Seriously, there is nothing that anyone can say that puts it into the right perspective. They either come across as overly flowery or say something that scares the hell out of you...or my favorite, try to convince you that your social life is over. The closest thing that I can come up with is this:

The love you are going to feel for this child is like a cup that you think is full. After the first zombie-like couple of months, it's an incredible experience. Every time you look at that little boy, your heart will swell to bursting. You'll feel that you simply can't love him anymore than you possibly do, that cup is totally and completely filled to the brim...but it fills even more each and every day.

You're going to creep in and peek at his sleeping form 3 or 4 times a night. Not because you are worried about his safety, but because you're going to be absolutely astounded at this perfect little life you have helped to create. You'll watch him flex his little hands, listen to him saw his little logs, watch him furrow his brow or move his mouth just like you. The most peaceful life affirming thing you will probably ever experience is the soft sound of your sleeping child. The gentle tinkle of a crib-side soothing toy, the hum of a humidifier, the stillness of the room as you watch over your little one like a vigilant papa hawk.

My most heartfelt smoke and prayers for you and your family. btw, you're more of a man than I. I couldn't watch, let alone cut the cord;)

Oh, and sign me up as a brew customer. Seriously, when you reach production, I'll be good for at least a case. I simply adore microbrews! PM me with the details. Two of my favorite things are supporting small business and good beer;)

Congrats my friend. Thank you for your service and God bless your new and exciting life.

7. Gorog

Gorog

Mar 4, 2011
    Though I do not know you, Voodoo, I do know that I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves, no matter who they are and what they do. I also know they tend to be very nice people, which is why I am overstepping my comfort zone to say, welcome back, and nice to meet you. I don't know much about blades, so I won't comment on that, but I do congratulate you on your recent or not so recent child. Sometimes I wish I could have served in some way, but, its impossible, because of health problems and mental issues. Well, congratulations again, and peace.
    David

8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    David, I commend you on stepping out of your comfort zone. I know how that feels on a much smaller scale. Keep it up, buddy. We love having you around:)

9. BFH44

BFH44

Nov 3, 2010
    Welcome and congratulations on the son - smoke and good thoughts headed your family's way

Eric

10. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Hey Voodoo...

That's the right progression: have a son, open a brewery. :)

Nice.

11. Gorog

Gorog

Mar 4, 2011
    YES, compliment-get! Thanks Steely-Gunz, I try my best to be a person worthy of such effusive praise. Oh, and one more thing Voodoo: assuming you have seen the darker side of man in war, than I assume that you are MUCH wiser than most of us civilians. It's no surprise that many great artists across the spectrum of artistry and ability have been veterans of war. They just seem to KNOW things that others don't seem to get a grip on. So don't be afraid to speak your mind, you could very well surprise yourself when wisdom flies out of your fingertips, via the medium of typing. See you all later! Peace.

12. Voodoo

Voodoo

Jul 7, 2005
    Thanks everyone. These are the kind of responses that keep me coming back. Well that, and my love affair with really big, sharp, scary things.

13. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    Hey Voodoo, nice to see you. It's been a while. Congrats on the new job venture and up coming baby!! Please drop by when ever you can and keep us posted.

14. DaddyDett

DaddyDett

Jan 9, 2006
    Good stuff, Voodoo. Nice to see you pokin' around here again.

15. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Congratulations on the good news.

Wyatt is a great name choice.

Smoke from the seaside.

16. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Hey, brother! Congratulations.

I suggest the smallest BDC you can find.