It's Just Convenient.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sabre cat, Jul 2, 2020.

1. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I once watched someone use a CRKT Tanto as a screwdriver to tighten something under the hood of his car. I cringed when he did that. Partially due to the fact, there was a tool bag in his trunk and a Leatherman Wave in the glovebox. I guess the Tanto was more convenient.

In the last few weeks, I have been doing what was most convenient myself. I only used two knives out of everything I own. A Vic Cadet and Benchmade Griptilian. Nothing else.

Wait, there were two days with a little Kershaw I found hiding in the drawer with the remote controls.The Kershaw needs to be mentioned. Transparency and all that. Even so, the Kershaw was slipped in my pocket one morning because I forgot about the Cadet.

The point of all this is that I have gotten by wonderfully with just the Cadet and Grip and have not needed all the other stuff. When I reached for Grip minutes ago it dawned on me that I could get by just fine with just these guys. I have not really needed any others (including the Kershaw).

Now for the sixty-four dollar question. What two knives do you use because you find them easier to carry or just generally more convenient?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    I am a big fan of SAK(which some of you probably know), and for coupling it with a one hand opening knife makes perfect sense.

Personally, I could even get by just fine with a SAK, and most of the time it is a 91mm Mountaineer. And the folding knife rides along for the fun, it could be anything from a BM Bailout, 940 or Spyderco PM3.

3. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Realistically speaking, an ESEE Izula and a Para 3 would cover 99% of my needs.

4. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    My Vic Super Tinker goes everywhere with me in my medicine bag.

As far as ease of carry, I guess my Brian Tighe Twist Tighe OTF. It's only 1.74oz I don't even notice it.

James Y likes this.
  5. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Just convenient?

I'll grab a beer bottle, really high up on the neck. I lay the spine of a knife just under the little ridges of the cap, with the edge of the blade toward me. Squeeze the bottle and rock the blade a little, levering against the big knuckle of your thumb. Pops the cap right off.

Probably a risk of cutting yourself, but hey, looks cool.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    With the clip sheath, this is the absolute most convenient knife I own.
    [​IMG]

And this one is just an extremely handy little knife that disappears in my pocket.
    [​IMG]
    I can't say I always carry these, but I carry them a lot.

7. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Whatever knife I have with me is the most convenient knife at that moment.

afishhunter, Lee D, evilgreg and 5 others like this.
  8. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    My serrated Spyderco Pacific Salt goes with me everywhere. I’ve used it for landscaping, opening packages, cutting twine, popping open paint cans, cutting food for lunch, etc. The hollow grind gives it stoutness and strength, and H1 steel means a quick rinse with water and that’s it. Plus it’s 3 ounces so it disappears in the pocket. The most convenient blade I’ve ever owned..

James Y likes this.
  9. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I have a BM 940-2 that’s never been a particular favorite, but when I drop it into my pocket it tends to stay a very long time. It seems I frequently just forget it’s there until I need it.

That’s as close as I get to “convenient.”

10. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I have a three knife system which I like to call 'regular carry': a Victorinox Rambler that lives on my keychain, an alox SAK (I like the Cadet or Pioneer) and a CRK (I prefer a Large or Small 21 Insingo.) I have yet to find a system that works better for me. I mostly only swap out my carry on days off from work and only because I love knives and have a lot of 'em... :D

regularcarry.jpg

The Rambler is actually the key component, and the only knife I carry that never changes. If I couldn't have my Rambler (or some other 58mm SAK with the small scissors and pick & tweezer combo), I'd probably opt for a Victorinox Compact just for sheer utility. And to be perfectly honest, I don't really need to carry a one-hander for EDC--I could (and have) get/got by just fine with only a SAK... of course, YMMV.

Dcdavis, sabre cat, James Y and 5 others like this.
  11. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    Truth be told, I can get by with my SAK Executive 99 1/2% of the time but I always carry a larger folder in my other pocket (these days, I alternate between a Bugout 535BK-2 or Mini-Presidio II). I Leatherman Wave is in my vehicle along with a Buck 119, Griptilian, and a few more assorted in the couple of packs that are always on-board as well. Oh, and the vehicle's toolkit. But the Executive is what's used all day long for life's little tasks.

James Y, jackknife and timberweasel like this.
  12. davered00ss

davered00ss

Jun 8, 2020
    30+ year old Benchmade CQC7

grybsh7 likes this.
  13. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    My SAK Spartan. It looks boring, heck it is boring and the blade steel is soft. But it simply works. It's there when I need it and I need it constantly. It's convenient to the point where I can't seem to go back to carrying anything else. Just an example from today, I had my pocket watch looked at, I thought the battery had gone dry. The idiot in the shop put the case lid back on upside down jamming up the crown so I couldn't adjust it. Driving home I pass the watch and my Spartan over to my wife, the awl pops the case open easily, by the time I get out of the car my watch is working perfectly. Stuff seems to happen every day that requires use of a pry bar (bottle opener), screwdriver (can opener), metal finger nail (can opener), small or big blade, corkscrew (opening knots), etc. To the extent that going back to a blade only knife simply palls. Despite me having a long list of ones I want! I assume my SAK's and my wallet have some kind of deal going on, after all they live in the same pocket :).

[​IMG]

14. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Same. I always have an SAK in my pocket and main folder of some flavor for that day. The most useful knife for EDC, self-defense, bushcraft, food prep, or cardboard cutting, is the one you have in your pocket at the time.

15. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Why is that sheath so huge for such a slim knife?

craytab likes this.
  16. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I always carry 2 SAKs...my Executive, and my Pioneer. Occasionally I switch out the Pioneer for my Spartan.

And I almost always carry a one-hander, usually my FFG Spyderco Manix 2.

The 2 SAKs I carry each have different functions that complement the other perfectly for my uses.

If I had no SAK on me and only a knife blade-only knife, I’d feel almost naked. The multiple functions of even the most basic SAK ensures I don’t have only a one-trick pony. Each SAK implement can also serve many alternate functions.

Jim

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It may look a bit bigger in this picture than it really is, but it is larger than it could be.
    It is a bit oversized, and it's due to the wide clip I had.
    The sheath has to be wide enough that the clip is not in the say of my stitch line.
    I need some narrower ones for sure.

The fit is great though , just tight enough not to rattle but draws effortlessly.

18. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    My convenient knife that I pair with whatever else I may be carrying is the SE Dragonfly. This little thing packs alot of utility and goes unnoticed clipped in the corner of my back pocket until needed. Like many of us, I'm not always a huge fan of serrations, but I do think they have their place (IMO) and it's good to have one handy at times. This thing is hell on zip-ties among other things. I carry one so often that I've taken to swapping the SE blades into other versions of the DF.

[​IMG]

timberweasel, oldmanwilly and craytab like this.
  19. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    My Leatherman Squirt PS4 is always on my keychain, and my Cybertool 29 is in the same pocket with my wallet. I know if something's not there by the weight and feel in my pocket. Between those 2 tools, I don't really need anything more and there's not much in my daily city life I can't do without them that would require another, different knife. Which, of course, isn't to say that I don't usually have others.

timberweasel, allenC and jackknife like this.
  20. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2014
    The two knives I use are both Benchmade Bugouts--one blue and one green. It works perfectly for me :)