1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Joining two pieces of bronze

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by duurza, Nov 30, 2016.

1. duurza

duurza

Jul 4, 2015
    Is it possible to join two pieces of bronze together via welding or any other techniques and still get relatively good strength?

I have an 1" diameter 8" long bar of bronze (93200) that I was going to melt and cast a pommel. I haven't made any progress on making the pommel out of wax yet and rather than do nothing about it, I am thinking of melting what I have into a plate around 5/16" thick, carve whatever inside shape I need and join the top and bottom piece together (sorry for the lack of technical metal working terms).

I am planning on going to the local blacksmith next weekend where I will have a few hours of access to a forge and perhaps an Evenheat oven. Not sure if those ovens can reach 1100 C but if it can, then I am in luck.

Does anyone know of any specific technique I should use or anything to look out for if I attempt this?

This is the grade of bronze that I bought: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/metals/bronze/bronze-c932-sae-660/

2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    That's leaded bronze , the lead is for free machining but may cause problems during melting or welding !

3. duurza

duurza

Jul 4, 2015
    Is there a method to join it?

4. mete

Jun 10, 2003
    I'll do some research . The big website for copper and copper alloys is ..www.copper.org ..

5. duurza

duurza

Jul 4, 2015
    Thanks. I am still planning on melting down the round bar of bronze into a plate and making two halves out of that. If there isn't a good way to weld two pieces together, I might just secure them with screws.

6. mete

Jun 10, 2003
    Here are some guides to fabrication of the alloy --http://www.concast.com/c93200.
    The solder or braze are the best . Remember that it will suck up lots of heat . You need a good heat source for fast heating.

7. boy&hisdogs

boy&hisdogs

Dec 9, 2015
    If I'm understanding correctly, then solder is what you want. It's be "silver solder" but you can get it in bronze color so it matches. Use a pencil flame torch of some sort.

Look up how soldering is done for jewelry, that'll probably be the way you need to do it.

8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I use hard silver solder ( silver braze). Use the lower silver content type (50-60%) and the color will match pretty good as soon as the patina sets in. There are brazing rods specially made to match the copper/bronze color, too. The joint is strong.

Clean metal and good fluxing along with just the right flame size and amount of heat are the key to a proper joint.