Just curious, but do you buy knives.......

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ruukuu, Jun 22, 2020.

1. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Most here shy away from "tactical" knives named after gun companies. Traditionals are a little different.

2. Silent H

Silent H Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I agree with this sentiment, and it's even more hilarious when they have a name like this, but they're selling knives and other products that weren't made in the U.S. It's like countries putting all the synonyms for "democracy" in their official name, when they're anything but.

That being said, I've never bought a knife just because of its name, but I for sure have not bought knives I like because of a silly name, like say BROKEN SKULL, written across the blade in gigantic letters.

Most of my favorite knives have a butterfly on the blade, and some people I've met have joked about butterflies not being very manly, but they still ask to borrow my knife when they need to cut something.

3. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Reputation of the company, good, bad, lackthereof, is more important to me. I would have no problem buying from a terrible brand name if the quality and qc were there as well as a design I liked. I don't care if the brand is called the The Silken Purse knife company or Pink Triangle knife company or some other incredibly effeminate name.

4. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    I'm not bothered by them, but I actually prefer just a simple pattern number, eg - Model 1, Model 2, etc.... Especially now when the names have gotten odder by the decade.

5. CyberRacer

CyberRacer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2018
    What I carry most at the moment is an Olamic "Whippersnapper". If I was bothered by dumb knife names there is no way that one would have ever found a home with me (great knife BTW).

Quiet likes this.
  6. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    You got that right.

7. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    When I buy my Smatchet (and I am pretty sure I am going to buy one, errr, one of these days, not sure exactly when), you can bet my decision was at least fitty per cent on account of the name.

I have a couple of Frost Steel Warriors, not the best knives I own, but not the worst either. The build quality is on a par with some Rough Riders from 5 or 6 years ago, if not up to today’s offerings, and definitely better than the Frost Pakistani products. Then there is the lovely Schrade stockman labeled as a Parker-Frost Bison that came to me in a recent GAW. There is not a single thing wrong with that knife, including the name.

About Gerber, the less said the better. They may make one or two decent products, but my experience with one of the machetes has completely poisoned that well.

8. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    would buy a Fluffy Bunny Bushcraft Buddy....................just for the name:oops::p:p:p:D

9. Ruukuu

Ruukuu

May 21, 2020
    if i was any good at paintshop id make a knife mockup with the brand and a logo :) lol

10. Addicted_to_Knives

Addicted_to_Knives Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2018
    That's why Mickey Ray Burger changed his last name to Strider so it will sound more manly and that lying coward can hide his lies under the new manly name :)

Burger Knives vs Strider Knives

Lee D likes this.
  11. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Oh, definitely. I mean, I wouldn't be interested in my Benchmade 940 if it were named anything differently. I mean, who the hell would buy a knife called a 939 or 938? That's just absurd. I'm no pussy. But the 940? That's a man's number. That's a number that strikes fear in the hearts of hardened criminals.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  12. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I gotta admit, naming knives after old TV shows was pretty clever/catchy. Still not enough for me to even think of buying one though... :p:)

I've never bought a knife just for the name, but I might change my mind for a Fluffy Bunny Bushcraft Buddy or a Fuzzy Snuggleduck:D

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  13. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    No although I don't like when companies choose names that are Stupid.
    Giving them violent or military names.
    Yeah......like I'm going to be Rambo with my 3" - 4" folding knife. Kershaw's Brawler .....not a good name for a knife to EDC.
    I think Giant Mouse is funny......I would love to buy a knife named fluffy bunny....LOL

Ruukuu likes this.
  14. Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's

Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 5, 2016
    Turn to Proverbs for the Answers ~

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Addicted_to_Knives likes this.
  15. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Names donor make a knife.

16. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 25, 2009
    anybody seen the reviews for the Fluffy Bunny Bushcraft Buddy? What steel do they use?? I want one now!

Smiling likes this.
  17. steelhead seeker

steelhead seeker

Aug 1, 2014
    Like a couple others have said I havent ever and wont ever buy a knife because I like the name but I will absolutely not buy a knife if the name is horrendous. If tactical is in the name it's a pass...broken skull was a good example used. What a stupid name.

Bastler likes this.
  18. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I'd name a company "Gentle kitty" or "Little Princess" and then proceed to make mostly machetes and tactical fixed blades of all sizes, with thick blade stocks, full tang construction and pommels or skull crushers at bottom of the handle :D

Ruukuu likes this.
  19. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    Fluffy Bunny Bushycraft Girlifriend knives are made of Antimony2A steel
    [Anti2A] very popular chinese made

20. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I can live with that steel if it has good heat treatment.

The name bothers me though. Not crazy about anti gun steel.

do they use slave labor ?