Just received my first HI Khukuri (Surapati by Kami Santosh)

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by bgz101, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    I cannot express how thrilled I am with the Surapati I received.

The balance is fantastic. It feels 'light' yet is a substantial and well made knife.

Is there a support group here for the HI Khukuri addicted folks?

I may need some support so I don't buy another half dozen knives before Thanksgiving. :)

2. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    Uh oh ... It sounds like you might be HIKV +.

;)

3. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Right on. Another satisfied customer, and another unsolicited testimonial.:thumbup:

4. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    Steve you're absolutely right on. I have a bunch of knives and many serve their purpose and generally speaking satisfy the demands of their job.

This is the first knife I've ever been so impressed with I just had to post something about it. It's THAT nice.

I've had the chance to train with some skilled people and to feel the difference in their 'professional' grade blades compared to just mass-produced stuff. This knife is a in a different class.

I'm not given to whimsical descriptions of inanimate objects. I don't want to sound weird or exaggerative. This knife, however, feels alive, and I've only felt that in a few hand-made blades owned by a few hard core martial arts experts.

5. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Let's get "HI" by posting some pics of the Siru?:D

Good luck.So far very least people could fight off the HIKV.

AS GOOD AS IT GETS

6. stickfred

stickfred

Nov 6, 2009
    Isn't it amazing when you get your first HI khukuri in your hand? They are truly marvelous tools made with marvelous skill. I'm really glad that you are so impressed with your first one bgz101. I've read many posts of people talking about the "life" or "magic" in their blade. Some even feel that their khuk "talks" to them. All of these posts credit the kamis for imbuing the life into the blade and I agree that credit should go where the credit is due. Just wait 'til you take it out and put it to work.

As far as help in keeping you from buying more, I'm afraid that I can be of no help there. You've taken the first step on your new journey and I feel you have a ways to go yet. Enjoy the trip.

7. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    This won't do, where are the pictures? Where are those shots of you holding your new prize gleefully in the air and shouting for joy while you do the happy dance? :D I thought by now you would have known how we are about pix, it isn't that we don't know what the khuk looks like, it is more that we want to see how YOU display it. ;)

I am always happy to see a new member who has it bad, who knows they have HIKV and can't do anything about it but buy the next blade. Welcome to the HIKV Ward! There is no support group, what you will find from us will only be urging to buy that next blade. This is how we then justify our own addictions. It makes us feel better knowing that not only are we not alone but that such and such has it worse than we do. :D

Welcome to the madness! May I suggest a nice Chitlangi for the next one along these lines. They are a wee bit more showy, have a more pronounced bell on the pommel end of the handle, usually some carved pattern in the wood of the handle and are equally light and fast fighting type blades. In fact, they tend to be my favorite of this type of blade.

8. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    Welcome to the madness!

Looks like The One found you!

Definitely post pics when you can.

Warty gave a good suggestion for your next one, the Chitlangis are beautiful. There's also the Gelbu Special which kind of splits the difference between the Sirupate and the Chitlangi.

9. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    What are the odds I will agree with this post? ;)

10. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    Pictures coming . . . . will be later today but I'll post them!

11. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    Well I'm having photo uploading issues so it may be a bit later before they are up, but I'm working on it!

12. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    Let's see if this works. Not great pictures, but best I could do with an iPhone and 5 minutes of free time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MrMike

MrMike

Jan 22, 2006
    Made by Sher-Tiger?

14. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    Nope - made by Santosh. The marking looks almost identical except for one little hashmark on the lower-left symbol in this picture.

There has been some angst apparently about the nearly identical markings between the two.

15. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    I see why you are infected with HIKV.:)

16. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    Nice Pix! I need to get a Bonsai, those seem to be the shiznit when displaying these things. I need to work on my "artsy" shots a bit more I think, all of mine are so clinical that I have sort of forgotten how much I love photography.

If you want to get a nice shine on the blade and other metal parts, may I suggest Flitz metal polish? It is rally easy to use and will clean all the shipping grease off of it beautifully. It doesn't have any abrasives in it so it isn't going to polish out any scratches but I sort of look at scratches as something that happen if you are going to use the blade. I don't mind them, even on a shiny blade so I just Flitz the shiny parts and let them be.

That is a wicked nice Siru! Like the good Cpl, Wolfie and myself say though, if this type of blade appeals to you grab up a Chitlangi next. Mine should be here today and I'll shoot some shots of it next to a Sirupati so you can see the differences and similarities between them. I think you will find one of hem quite appealing unless I am completely wrong about what you are digging in a khuk.

Again, welcome to the HIKV club and I look forward to sharking against you. :)

17. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    Thanks Warty - I was going to ask about polishing things up. I'm not too concerned about it, but if some Flitz will clean it up nice then I'll pick some up!

PLEASE do post pictures of your Chitlangi . . . . . Can't wait to see it!

18. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    I will but I forgot today is Columbus day, no mail. :( So I guess it will have to be tomorrow.

Flitz can be found in most hardware store, big box home improvement stores and places like K-Mart and WalMart.

19. redvenom

redvenom

Aug 15, 2000
    Nice pictures - I am partial to the 18" Sirupatis myself - it would be the khukuri i would grab first if I only had one choice.

20. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    Bgz101, I'll have some comparison pix between one of my Sirupatis and the newest Chitlangi for you later one after I upload and such. When the new 18" Gelbu comes in, I can even do it again for you with the trio if you'd like... I always like doing this sort of thing and if it helps folks figure out what they want (and helps Yangdu sell Khukuris) then mores the better! :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010