1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Katrina Aftermath

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by munk, Aug 30, 2005.

1. cliff355

cliff355

Apr 19, 2003
    ---deleted---

2. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    To be fair, this was an email between family members. It was never meant for public display.
    I bear responsibility for this.
    You have to feel sorry for a guy who takes a day out of schedule to see if he can help and basically gets $hiT on by those he went there to help.
    That could possibly bring out some deep dark resentment in a person.
    On the other hand, we did much worse to Jesus, and people tell me he still likes us.

3. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    ibear,

I agree with many things you say, but when you get wound up you make things intensely personal -- "that's just you, isn't it."

This is not a political forum. We share thoughts, on khukuri and OT, while remaining civil for the most part. You appear solely on political issues and just blast away.

4. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003

Once you get rolling . . .

I merely stated facts. To say that the Mayor is the only one who screwed up as regards trasnportation for those without is factually incorrect. The area effected -- even in La. -- includes municipalities outside NOLA. The state supposedly had a plan to evacuate the entire area -- and did no better at it than "His Honor."

To say that GHWB has stated that the feds response was inadequate in some unspecified way is simply correct. We all heard him say the magic words.

I did not say -- did I? -- that GHWB either was responsible, or took responsibility for, pre-strom evacuation.

5. Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Feb 23, 2002
    Anybody got a good recipe for funnel cake?

:p

6. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    First take one funnel . . . .

7. ibear

ibear

Apr 15, 2002
    To say that GHWB has stated that the feds response was inadequate in some unspecified way is simply correct. We all heard him say the magic words. - Thomas Linton
    WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday that "I take responsibility" for failures in dealing with Hurricane Katrina and that the disaster raised broader questions about the government's ability to respond to natural disasters as well as terror attacks.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government," Bush said at joint White House news conference with the president of Iraq.

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said.

Absolutely true..... MAYBE! I guess! Seems unrealistic to me, but maybe!

GWB may have been running scared and carefully admitting nothing by stating they could have done better.... whatever that means. Anybody, anywhere can always do better, whatever that means! "WHO KNOWS" what it means? Maybe, some sort of message of appeasment?

Thanks,

iBear

8. ibear

ibear

Apr 15, 2002
    And stick it..... [email protected]#%%$&*&^*#%$.... then mix vigorously and serve fresh!

Smile,

iBear

9. ibear

ibear

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks for the facts.

I merely stated facts. To say that the Mayor is the only one who screwed up as regards trasnportation for those without is factually incorrect. The area effected -- even in La. -- includes municipalities outside NOLA. The state supposedly had a plan to evacuate the entire area -- and did no better at it than "His Honor." - Thomas Linton

The Mayor could have evacuated NO with the buses he had, if he been willing to do anything at all. The Governor could have ordered out the National Guard to New Orleans, three days earlier, if he had been inclined.

NO means the city of New Orleans.

iBear

10. ibear

ibear

Apr 15, 2002
    I agree with many things you say, but when you get wound up you make things intensely personal -- "that's just you, isn't it." - Thomas Linton
    Common sense is a good and useful exercise of increasing value, when arriving at a logical conclusion with merit!

YEAH, that's just me!

iBear

11. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Ibear; Listen up, I'm not sure this is getting through to you, and as I know you well and know you are of good heart I can say this to you now in this forum.

Please take this under advisement. It is not neccesary to bold print here. It is not neccesary to capitalize letters. People are telling you that you are a good guy but they do not wish to have a argument, but a discussion with you. Ibear, take it down a couple clicks. Relax. These are friends. This is not an advisarial (sic) format. We try to figure things out. We try to let a wide variety of opinion in. We try to build concensus. The political forums you frequent do not admire these traits. They teach an entirely different way of speaking.

What you see as normal, or even gentle, is seen differently here. You are using too much force.

Ibear, relax; you are among friends.

munk

12. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Better listen ibear, Munk is trying to save your ass. Much more won't be put up with.

13. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    Thanks, Mods. Fair warning. Uncle Bill would agree, I'm sure.

14. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    an Email from my mom:

Ft.Worth had their first attempted rape by a new storm refugee just set up in an apt. compliments of Texas. The girl kicked him in the knee and ran , called her mom via cell phone ! They got the scum bag .
    Todays Editorial in the Dallas M. News was thanking all the FEMA people who worked long and hard and took a bad rap because of the fema chief Michael Brown and the problems they had with the damn Homeland security rules. what a mess. Anyway it thanked them for all their work and mentioned the rude treatment they had to put up with at times.....

15. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Public service is always subject to public rudeness, although the scale of it is generally acceptably minimal. In my years with the Postal Service, I was often baffled by the attitude of people who would come in, perform, and leave. It was really between them and their meds, not us, no matter what they said.

Some of the problems with refugees comes from the few who really did need treatment, and others who felt their behavior justified more of the same, and many who just don't know how to behave in polite company.

But they were all under stress, and many people don't behave well under stress. If their mayor could go all to pieces on a national broadcast, what can we expect of the others?

Danny, your friend did a great job. Part of it was handing out food. A larger part of it was just being there, helping. While a few made inappropriate remarks, others kept their mouths shut, but took the lesson.

16. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    How do you forgive and take off the glasses of bias colored by consistent and unchanging behavior?
    My religious beliefs demand that I shed myself of all prejudice and bias.
    I can't . I have tried and I just cant do it.
    I dont know what to say.

17. Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Feb 23, 2002
    Danny

A wise old nDn once said, "Some people just need killin' "

;)

18. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003

If we start killin' rude folks, the traffic will sure lighten up. :)

When's the last time you drove in any city without encountering some [email protected]#^%! who is threatening the safety of those around him/her by rude/crude/aggresive driving? :mad:

"Manners" are social lubricants that prevent violence.

19. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    "Manners" are social lubricants that prevent violence.>>>>> Thomas Linton

Heinlein once wrote the same thing. People who dispense with them under the illusion of a better, more advanced society are handicapping themselves. Because manners will always be neccesary. They are an aid and comfort to us when all else fails, we fall back upon them, and they are neccesary to put first and foremost the proposition that we be kind to one another.

I know this all too painfully, because my own manners are horrible at times; a leftover from being raised during a socialogical event where 'manners' were dispensed with.

Oh, and btw; there are people who need killing, the problem being where would one stop? And there is always the problem of having a stain on one's soul and heart.

munk

20. ibear

ibear

Apr 15, 2002
    Hmmmmmm, interesting indeed!
    Your advice is appreciated.

iBear