1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Keen without back spacer?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sharperthansticks, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sharperthansticks

Sharperthansticks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Did some versions of the Keen come without a back spacer? I have two Keen knives, and one has a back spacer, and one doesn't, so I'm wondering if I lost the spacer on the first one, or if it just never had one.

2. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    I just did some sleuthing, and it turns out that the person who sold it to me as BNIB sold it to me without a back spacer, and I didn't realize it until now. :-(

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I get the idea that it wasn't BNIB. How about you?
    Return it and order a new one and wait 4-5 wks. You were conned, IMO.
    I'm about due to get my second one...a purple holey...had a bronze groove the first time.
    Wonderful blade...love 'em...not for China...but for Ray Laconico who designed this great knife.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Officer's Match and Murphjd25 like this.
  4. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    I just bought a second one, and when I saw that the second one had a back spacer, that's when I realized that the first one did not have it. I went back to look at the original ad, and it was sold to me as "BNIB." The guy still had an album to his pictures up on Imgur, and you can clearly see that it's missing the back spacer, since you can see the standoffs! I just had no idea at the time that it had a back spacer. I've taken screenshots so even if he takes down the ad and takes down the Imgur album, I have proof.

Murphjd25 likes this.
  5. Sonnydaze

Jul 6, 2009
    Based on what you've said, he shouldn't give you any hassle. I hope you paid
    by PP Goods and Services, just in case... then you should be fine.

6. Sonnydaze

Jul 6, 2009
    The Keen/Laconico is the first folder that I've really enjoyed...in a long time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Murphjd25 likes this.
  7. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    I did. I'm opening a case in PayPal right now.

8. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    The PayPal case was denied because it's been too long since the sale, but I still have those screenshots to prove my case to BladeForums.

9. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I’m kind of curious what it looks like without a backspacer now and just standoffs.....but yeah I think they all have backspacers...

10. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    It honestly doesn't look bad. I just never realized it was supposed to have one until I got the second one in the mail today! And I think the back spacer makes the back feel a little better in your palm, too (when you press the knife into your palm to deploy the blade), though the spacer also makes the knife back heavy. Regardless, I just want the damned part now that I know that that's what's supposed to be there.

Murphjd25 likes this.
  11. Hologram

Hologram Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Ray Laconico is on Facebook (but I'm not:cool:). You can try to contact him there, explain what happened, and maybe you can get a backspacer. Might be a longshot, but you have nothing to loose.

Sharperthansticks likes this.
  12. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Always better to sleuth before you buy and I'd say if you didn't notice for 180 days, the knife is yours. Have you used the thing?

This should probably be in the gb&u. Time to name the seller and let them defend themselves.