Khukuri and Hatchet chopping comparison

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Issun, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Issun

Issun

Feb 1, 2011
    Heres a video comparing a 15" AK and a 17" Sirupati to a hatchet in light chopping, hope yall find it entertaining
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQO_TJWSQcI

The khukuris are very comparable to the hatchet in how they chop, granted they are a bit heavier than the 14 oz headed hatchet (24oz AK and 19 oz Siru) but given the greater capabilities of the Khukuri in light knifey tasks and anything that needs a point, the weight might just be worth it.
    In the future Im thinking of comparing the hatchet and the AK in a larger cutting chore, see for sure which one is more efficient. This is about as large a task involving dead wood that I'd want to take the sirupati to

2. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the video and the effort.
    Since I'm too lazy to do one...the least I can do is give you a hint. Try to chop the wood in a 'hour glass' shape if possible.
    It's much easier and faster as you don't need to sink the blade deep in the "V" shape:D
    Also, chop the wood that is directly over your support (another piece of wood) as this prevents the chopped wood sinking down on impact and results in a deeper cut.
    Good luck and search the forum for chopping techniques with a khuk.;)

3. Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier

Sep 14, 2006
    I don't own any hatchets at the moment, and I don't think I'll be picking any up now that I have khuks.

While hatchets are good choppers, as you point out they are a bit of a special purpose item. But in addition I feel that khuks are safer to chop with than hatchets because they have a much longer cutting surface and a recurve or concave blade, which makes glancing blows less likely than with a hatchet.

While chopping you must be careful with either tool, of course. But IMO the khuk is a bit more forgiving of a missed stroke than a hatchet.

Andy

4. Issun

Issun

Feb 1, 2011
    well I just got back from an exhausting day in the woods, came across a large downed tulip poplar (about 30 inch diameter) and started going through it. I used the 15 inch AK and the Fiskars hatchet. Ive got to tell you, going through a large tree is HARD work. I can confidently say now that the hatchet is MUCH MUCH better than the AK at chopping. the handle absorbs more energy and its easier to put in more force. I was using a good wrist flick and loose grip on the khukuri, but having the metal that goes all the way through the handle still transfers enough energy to the hand to hurt after... about 2 hours of chopping. The khukuri is VERY good at chopping, dont get me wrong, its just that the hatchet is even better at its specialty, though for a tree this big you'd really rather use an axe.. or even better, a saw... future tests will stick to more practical tests (not big trees!), but there was a lot of knowledge gained from this experience

its dark now, Ill have to put up proof pictures later when I can next get out with the camera

5. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    Well, it's all good when the lesson is learned.
    Every job has it's proven tools.
    The khuk is a knife and although it excels at chopping chores more than any other it's a knife nevertheless. Bringing a knife to a 30" tree :eek: not a fun job.
    Right tools for the right job (if it can be helped) :)