1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Daniel Koster, May 14, 2002.

1. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    **Warning!!** You may need to maximize your browser to see all the pics.
    1024 x 768 should cover it, but if you are 800 x 600 you may have to scroll. (sorry)

I had a few spare moments this week and came up a few Khukuri designs. (have to distract myself from the "Big Day" forthcoming)

I was inspired by the HI Baby Ganga Ram, YCS, Ang Khola and a villager sold last week.

Both of these designs are 12" OAL and are more "relaxed" than most other bent-knife designs = not as strong of an angle in the bend.
    The handles would be hardwood with engravings. The blade would be a full 3/8" thick.

They seem to me like a cross between a Medium-sized Bowie and the Ganga Ram.

First design - the gray lines on the handle are just to show that it is round.
    Otherwise all the white lines on the handle are decorative carvings.
    This design has a slightly smaller handle and longer blade. It is more aggressive at the drop point.
    [​IMG]

with dimensions:
    [​IMG]

Second Design
    This design has a larger and longer handle and, in general, is more stout.
    [​IMG]

with dimensions:
    [​IMG]

The engravings are inspired by the Nepal Flag on the HI website:
    [​IMG]

The crossing designs on the upper part of the handle represent the zigzag profile of the flag.
    The 12 point engraved emblem is a direct copy of the symbol on the flag (it would be indented into the band, rather than protruding).

Let me know your thoughts! I have no idea if Uncle Bill takes design ideas,
    but I thought I'd throw these out anyway, since I like to doodle.:D:D

Dan

2. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    I wish I could do stuff like that.

If we get five takers we'll try it but it may take a wood model.

3. mPisi

mPisi

Oct 12, 2001
    I like them alot and would probably buy one, especially the first one. I've been looking for a smaller straighter blade with a good sharp tip, but of course from HI. A half-size AK bowie would be about right, but I like the lines and handle of this one better. I've also been thinking about a 15" GS, since they seem typically straighter than the average khuk.

With some nice inlays on the handle with a Nepal flag theme, you could call it the freedom model or something. Or "Maoist Medicine" :D

4. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Design #1 looks very much like the "bulldog" villager that went up today (and also the Villager Bill just sent me). Mine is very balanced - not much of the aggressive forward stance of my AK or sirupati, though it's also not as long. Not quite as much curve as an AK, but still a very pleasing design.

It would be really neat to have a large star engraved on the widest part of the blade - sort of like the one on the handle, but larger.

5. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    ...uhhh...**ahem** :D:D

I agree 100%.

mPisi = right on the money. I was shooting for a nicely balanced one-hander, bowie-style. Yet, retain the shape and style of an "entry level" Khukuri.

The first one is also my favorite of the two.

Also - the name - I agree that it should be something related to the recent events, but in a positive "we will overcome" tone.

Dan

6. SkagSig40

SkagSig40

Feb 1, 2001
    I would take the top one!:)

7. Eich1911

Eich1911 Search "Kyle Eichenseer" before dealing with me.

Sep 13, 2001
    WOW WOW WOW

Amazing work Sir.
    I want I want I want!!!

8. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Stay tuned.

9. Abear

Abear

Feb 25, 2002
    Nice drawings pendentive
    Are those made in AutoCAD? I been playing around with this program called Rhino-3d. It's very good at drawing curves and extruding surfaces in 3D. I'll draw up a Kukri when I'm done with this *(*^(*& project and finals. Hell, maybe I'll draw it up after this project and work on the finals later :)

10. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    If we let the kamis play with it, we'll have a bulldog with bows :D

The design has less of a drop/curve, and narrows less from the sweet spot to handle than many HI designs - what makes it more like a bowie. I was actually surprised when my Villager arrived - it looked so straight, at least in comparison to the AK and Sirupati I have. IMO, a very functional pattern for all 'round camp use, and a very practical size (12-14"), though you do give up some of the chopping power due to the length/balance.

Top notch!

11. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    You've got the right idea, Bear.

12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Thanks. Yes.

Very fun program.

Would you like me to send you the CAD drawing? I can export it to 3DS format if you like. Then, when you are done building the model in 3D, send it back and I can animate it and vector-render it.

That would be almost as good as having it in your hand.

Fun for us to see - but probably not much use to the Kamis.:D:D

Dan

13. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    How about this one?

I took Design #1 and added a double-edge and an engraved 12 point star to the blade.

[​IMG]

Looks like a winner to me. So far, there are 3 takers and a maybe. I would love to see this made. I'm not sure if I could do the wood model - perhaps someone else has that special touch?

Any more suggestions, ideas, comments?

Dan

14. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    I like the design. On my 17" monitor (1024x768) the specs are about:
    Handle (Including Bolster and Butt cap) = 4"
    Blade (front of bolster to tip) = 7.5"
    Over all = 11.5"

The handle is a little small for my hands so I would up the specs a little:
    Handle (Including Bolster and Butt cap) = 4.75"
    Blade (front of bolster to tip) = 8.25"
    Over all = 13"

Upping the size like that should about keep the proportions correct and make the knife easier for people with large hands to use. BTW I wouldn't mind getting one as soon as I have the money.

15. BruiseLeee

BruiseLeee

Sep 7, 2001
    That 12 point star isn't gonna be a hole is it? :)

16. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    wildmanh,

The design for this one is getting too cluttered to work with 3/8" stock. As you have it now the main edge will drop about 3/16" over .75 inches. That would give you an included edge angle of around 30 degrees; not much of a cutting edge. If you want it to look like this you are going to have to take the stock down to around 3/16 inch. That is what Aitor used when they produced these very similar knives.

n2s

17. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Keep working but remember the kamis may use the blueprint for forge fodder.

18. SkagSig40

SkagSig40

Feb 1, 2001
    I like the very top one still.

19. D7reamers

D7reamers

Aug 29, 2001
    I have small hands, so I would take the first one.

20. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    What about this one?

Attached Files: