1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Daniel Koster, May 14, 2002.

1. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    They are 1/2" thick; or close to it. :)

n2s

2. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Uncle Bill,

Here's a design for a basic villager. It is pretty close to life size and is printable. What's the preferred method for transmitting the drawing? (blueprint, photocopy, etched into glass, scribbled on toilet paper, etc., etc.)

Let me know - I'll print one out and send it your way.

**HINT - blueprints really stink when you burn 'em...might be a deterrent?!?:D:D

Dan

3. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    The print shows a double edge. Is this what you want? Also, what handle material. No habaki style bolster? Need dimensions. Also a couple of cross sections.

4. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Uncle Bill,

Basic Idea = cheap as you can get it (for testing).
    Plain wood handle (cheaper than horn?), plain bolster, unfinished blade, etc.

I'm uploading a few new images with and without dimensions. No double edge for now. Habaki = yes.

Let me know if you need more drawings, dimensions, or cross sections.
    Once the dust has settled on this, I would be happy to print
    a few copies (at exact scale) and mail them to you.

(please keep in mind that your monitor may enlarge/distort
    the images and they may not be perfectly to scale.)

[​IMG]

With dimensions = top number in inches, bottom in millimeters.
    [​IMG]

5. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    I'll email a copy over and wait for the 3 months of questions to start coming.

6. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Keep us posted. There seems to be a fair amount of interest. Hope it pays off in the end for HI.

Dan

7. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    My guess is we'll never see it in steel without a model but it will be fun to see what they say and ask.

8. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Even just a 12" Bulldog Villager would be fun to have. Maybe it could be named the "Pug":D:D

I know at least one person that would be interested...:D :eek: :p

9. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Uncle Bill,

I redid the drawing with the dimensions to make it more readable. Hope it helps.

Dan

10. Ferrous Wheel

Ferrous Wheel

May 16, 2002
    Looks like N2S! well, like N2S's avatar, anyhow.

Keith

11. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Any takers on making a wood model?

Dan

12. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Blueprint sent with this question: Can anybody make this?

Now the fun starts.

13. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    According to the wife you are right on both counts. :D

Let's see how this one turns out. There would probably be a good market for a slightly thinner (1/4") HI Khukuri. Put a convexed edge on it, and a good temper, and you have the makings of an excellent backpacking knife.

n2s

14. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    You must have read my mind.

I'm an avid backpacker and this would be a winner in my pack and allow me to toss my bowie out the window!:D

Dan

15. Ferrous Wheel

Ferrous Wheel

May 16, 2002
    ..and which window should I be waiting by for the bowie, then Pendentive? Please toss it sheathed, I don't wanna get hurt!

Keith

16. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    You also don't want to get poked by the rusted-out, cheap-lookin, beat-to-heck, sharpened-way-too-many times blade either!

I sure wish I had had a Khukuri when I was in Guate. It would have cut some of my work projects in half! Literally!:D:D

17. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    The villager Uncle Bill sent me a few weeks ago is going in to my backpack. It's about 1/2'" thick, much like the bulldogs that've been showing up lately.

Blade is interesting - shallow fuller, otherwise it would be flat-ground. It tapers very evenly from 1/2" at the spine to a very sharp edge.

Another bulldog trait - the spine is straight, but the edge is doglegged. It cants off to the right like someone bent it clockwise in a vise.

I know I'm not strong enough to bend that much steel, so
    either it was forged that way, or I got a Cliff Stamp tester. :D

18. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    Nope, but I like the design so much I'll take a Khukuri when they come out. :)

19. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    This khukuri is too small to sell well.

20. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    I have to agree with Bill, but it will fill a niche and make a few customers happy and that makes the effort very worthwhile IMO.
    Size for size I think my CS Trailmaster chops better than the small khuks do, But the little khuks split wood better as they're generally a little thicker than the Trailmaster.
    I still like what Dan has put together although it's not for me unless as a novelty.