1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Daniel Koster, May 14, 2002.

1. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
  2. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    ddean = yes. getting closer. However, the one thing missing on all of the other photographs shown so far is the deepness of the belly. I've not seen too many short Khukuris with big bellies. Just the Bulldog Villager (which by now everyone is probably tired of hearing me talk about;) ).

In comparing this design to others like the 12" AK, 9-10" CBKC, etc. I still like my latest design iteration best.

It has a large belly, an agressive tip, the point is not too dropped - which should help the balance, eventually the handlework will be added - and should make it spectacular, the handle is large enough for a solid grip - but not too big, and hopefully if the blade comes in somewhere between 1/4" and 5/16" it will be a good striker, slicer, and maybe even a carver (not a chopper, though).

DaveK = I'll let you know once it arrives.

3. Dave K

Dave K

Jul 5, 1999
    Dan, your model went this afternoon. :)

I sent it priority mail insured, so hopefully we're looking at monday or tuesday as an eta in Maryland.

FWIW I didn't think any of the pix looked quite like your model model either, though some of those knives (esp. the Blackjack) looked pretty desirable to me...

Also, I made the blade part out of 1/4" poplar, hope that's not thinner than you wanted, though the kamis will probably eventually decide on their own what thickness they want to make it; with my katar I made the model a bit on the thick side and they thinned it down in production as I hoped they would, so hopefully they will either make your final product to model specs or beef it up only slightly.

-Dave

4. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    I like what I see very much. I would personally like one a couple of inches shorter, but that is just me. I am sure most people would think that this is about as short as they would want.

5. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    DaveK = your wood model arrived in a very excellent package! Thanks!

It looks really good. I'm going to make a slight modification and send it off to Uncle Bill.

Perhaps I should soak it in fire-retardant first? :D Then, the Kamis will be mystified when it doesn't burn in the forge, and maybe they'll consider it "a sign" and do it for us. :D:D

6. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Good idea. They may be running short on charcoal.

7. Dave K

Dave K

Jul 5, 1999
    Glad it finally got there.

I was thinking that you might want to paint it so that the kamis know to make it stick tang style and not chiruwa style.

What kind of modifications are you making Dan?

Can you post some pix after you have completed them?

-Dave

8. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    DaveK - that box it came in was the best shipping I'd ever seen!

Mods = The belly seems a bit too full. I'll just take a little off to make it less "bulbous".

I'll get some scans up in a couple-o-days too.

Thanks again!

9. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    We'll stay tuned and wait for the pix.

10. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    wood model pic

11. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    ...and a little incentive ;) :D

12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    The model turned out great and is quite run to play with. :cool:
    It's going to be tough to give it up. :(
    Good job DaveK!! :D :eek:

I see this design as being more of a kamping khuk. I will want to use it to make "fuzz" sticks, do light chopping, kitchen work, and wood carving (roughing) = things that are too difficult even with my 13.5" villager. (too thick and heavy)

Uncle Bill = when you're ready, I'll send it off. (not without a few tears, though...;))

13. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Send it away.

14. raghorn

raghorn

Feb 23, 2002
    Dan, you're an artist! Must be that good Maryland genealogy. ;) I want one of these! :eek:

15. firkin

firkin

Jan 26, 2002
    I wish we knew what the kamis say when they see these models for the first time!

16. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    I really like this knife. The big belly looks great in my opinion.

17. Dave K

Dave K

Jul 5, 1999
    Now it is up to the kamis.

18. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Ok. Here's the list of takers so far:

mPisi
    SkagSig40
    Eich1911
    Terr
    Snipehunta
    raghorn
    pendentive

and a few maybe's from:

wildmanh
    D7reamers
    KWM

please let me know if you want on/off this list.

19. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    I wonder what the kamis say, too -- probably unprintable.

20. Ferrous Wheel

Ferrous Wheel

May 16, 2002
    I bet the Incentive will speak louder than words or models. Good show, alswys glad to see we can help the hardy and underappreciated Nepalese

Keith