Khukuri measurements

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by HoosierQ, May 10, 2012.

1. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    I know all of HI's Khukuris are handmade by a variety of skilled Kami...and thus all measurements are approximate as would be expected. Am I to assume that when a length is quoted it is the overall length of the knife? If so is that measured in a straight line from the pommel to the tip or curving along the spine...with a tape measure?

I am zeroing in on the BAS, the CAK, the WWII, or the M43. Also, what is the length of the M43? It looks bigger than the others. Is it?

I am also trying to decide between the tank-build 1/2 inch models vs the lighter models like the BAS. I have a lot of knives so I don't need a knife to do it all. If I carried a Khukuri into the woods or the desert, I'd have other knives along as well (at least a nice folder if not a Mora or something too). Not a big hiker...bad feet...so weight is not really a consideration within reason.

2. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    It's a straight line from pommel to tip.

3. MacHete

MacHete Hair Cropper & Chipmunk Wrangler

Apr 7, 2000
  4. arbiter

arbiter

Jun 4, 2011
    Much depends upon what you would use the khuk for.If you are a primitive camper/survivalist and wanted to process wood up to,lets say 4" in diameter to build shelter and for heat,I would suggest a larger and heavier knife.For general and lighter use such as cutting small diameter wood/brush a BAS or WWII would save you weight and handle most tasks expected of it.Both my M-43's are 18" OAL,33 oz.,and capable of most camp chores. If I had to choose ONE khuk to grab and go,it would be a 18"CAK,Bonecutter or current rendition of the Super CAK.Why? Lighter knives have their place, but I for one don't want to expend unneccessary amounts of energy cutting firewood or building shelter with a 15 to 25 oz.knife. The heavy blades give a much higher return for the effort when used for heavy duty tasks and although they would slow my movement,they would save me energy when put to use.For hobby type camping and hiking with equipment(tent)etc.,and only needing to cut smaller diameter firewood,and clearing brush,a sirupate,gelbu,BAS or WWII would fit the bill.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    Well I am very well skilled with the axe...and the machete...and have several of both. So processing wood as a planned activity would be done with an axe and clearing brush as a scheduled activity would be done with the machete...presumable. So the Khukuri would fill the niche of having a big knife that could do any of the above things in a pinch. For example, I like to wander around in the desert even if just for a few minutes at a time...looking at rocks, birds, lizards, cacti etc. I would not wish to do so without a knife that would serve me well if I couldn't get right back to the vehicle...seen too many movies...can't take my shoes off hardly since I saw Die Hard. Seems like a Khukuri would be the perfect knife in such a situation. A good folder in the pocket and a Khukuri on the belt.

6. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    I think a khuk would be perfect for what you're wanting. I personally would avoid anything over 30 ounces, or thereabouts. IMHO, it wouldn't work well for the brushy stuff you might need to go through in dry riverbeds and such. The heavy weights are pure choppers, but they can also tire you out so much that a lighter khuk is actually more efficient. I know everyone is getting tired of hearing me say this, but a 16.5" WWII or a BAS would suit your needs well, I believe. I would buy the BAS Auntie just listed;) Good luck.

7. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    This is great bunch of folks here. I have listened with much interest and respect to everyone's input. Pure chopping is not my thing...that's what all my axes are for. I am now zeroed in further to WWII, BAS, or maybe the regular 15" Ang Khola...the "best seller". In other words, I think for my first, I would go for a very typical all-purpose service model.

I am not one to baton with a knife...never done it, not going to bother now. I want a Khukuri for having a big, tough knife on hand when I need it...or more realistically for the whole "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" philosophy. In this context, a lighter model would be less likely to be left in the vehicle. Gotta be careful of Skinwalkers in the desert Southwest you know!

8. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    I think those are great choices. In use, a 15-17" khukuri is a giant knife. Used properly, a khuk little more than a foot in OAL is capable of incredible amounts work. You'll likely buy many more because you WANT to, but one of the "standard" models would be all you ever NEED. Good luck.

PS. When did Indiana became part of the desert Southwest:)

9. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    For medium work 2-3" branches I may favorite is my WW2. For heavier tasks I use my 17" 30oz ganga ram. For big jobs I use my 18 in 36oz bonecutter.

10. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    Isn't. The desert Southwest is my current favorite vacation destination (along with the ever popular Florida). I'd go there for every vacation if I could drive out there...Florida is just one hard day's drive away. Arizona is about 3 or 4.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  11. bemo

bemo

Oct 19, 2006
    Agreed on the blemished BAS as a good all around at a great price.

12. sweetcostarica

sweetcostarica Banned BANNED

Jan 18, 2012
    I've been told that batoning is what you do with a small knife and with a Kukri, Parang, bolo, or other large blade, you split it with it's weight and your technique. I recently learned this. But as with everything there are exceptions.

Check out this technique loaded video below titled "Split wood without an ax" by junglecrafty. He uses a parang but most of the skills are transferable to a Kukri.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ3fK9YEUBY

BAS is the best for your needs. Keep listening to jdk1. He is a great preacher for common sense Khukuri use :thumbup:.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  13. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    Thanks so much. This is great community. I am more and more leaning toward the BAS. I mean, if it's good enough for the Ghurka Regiment, it ought to be good enough for a civilian like me! Right size, right weight, right price, tough as nails, and a real history to boot.

Of course I never know what I am going to get when I get the old website fired up (15" AK and WWII still in the running) but I will probably hold off on anything that weights over 30 oz.

14. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    I figured it was either that or you were relocating. I also love the desert southwest. I spent many years living and working in the canyon lands of southwest Texas. Luckily, a good khuk will cover all your bases in Indiana, AZ, and FL.

SCR, thanks for your kind words. I'm no expert in any way. I'm just discovering how true the words of the oldtimers around here are. Uncle Bill loved the WWII for general use and, even though I wasn't here while he was praising it, I've learned the wisdom of his advice. Take care.

15. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    I hear many good things about the Canyon lands of Texas. I am sort of fascinated by the Llano Estacado since I read the Lonesome Dove trilogy. Not much to see there which is kind of the point I guess.

I am sad to say I have never so much as set foot in the Lone Star State but certainly hope to.