1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Knife Boxes = Value?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by specgrade, Apr 22, 2019.

1. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I used to have every single box that came with my knives. My ex. decided I didn't need them anymore and threw them away. I always thought the boxes aided in resell value and tried to seek legal action against her during our divorce. My lawyer told me he would not go to the judge over "cardboard boxes".

Although it has been a few years ago, whenever I sell a knife someone asks if I have the box and I am reminded all over again, lol.

What are your thoughts?

2. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Mint in Box is a term for a reason. Personally I kept the boxes but I don't give them too much thought since I don't keep the knives mint to begin with.

3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    For users, my thought is that they are of little value... but, if you aren't using them & you want to maximize resale value, the box is a must.

Pharmagator and B Griffin like this.
  4. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The original box has value if you are selling a new/unused knife, or a used knife to a collector. If you are selling a used knife to a buyer who wants a "user", in most cases a box does not matter. In any case I think it would be hard put to put to an actual monetary value on the "boxes" and therefore seek damages.

specgrade likes this.
  5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Complete packages add value, but there are many that are just users(neither collectors or sellers and aren't going to care. Myself, knowing that they are of value(or even deal breaker) to some, I would want to pay less for an incomplete package vs a complete one.
    Storing boxes can be a bit of a PITA even at my level of accumulating, but you do what you have to do.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Pharmagator and specgrade like this.
  6. CdnMitch

CdnMitch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Boxes are always nice to have, but if the knife is in great shape and the seller is a trustworthy individual it wouldn't impact my decision to purchase one way or the other!

specgrade likes this.
  7. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    Of course they’re going to add value, historically anything in its original packaging is worth more. Tell your lawyer to do as he’s told.

Also fairly recently I’ve seen many empty boxes sold on eBay.

8. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    They take up space but can help with resale, even on a user. On a knife I have not committed to using I always keep the box. Once I am using it, it depends. Like a Spyderco, where generally nothing is included, I toss the box once I'm using it. With a CRK for instance, I will keep the box/extras even if I am using it, in case I ever sell.

As a buyer, the seller having the box/packaging/etc. only really matters for a new knife, or a more expensive knife.

I have my own space, same as my wife has her own space, so she doesn't worry about my knife boxes and I do not worry about her YSL/Gucci/Chanel/etc. shoe boxes. (and she keeps those for the same reason I have knife boxes)

Pharmagator and specgrade like this.
  9. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I keep all boxes, but lack of a box has not prevented me from purchasing a knife or trading for a knife. There are some exceptions though... for example knives with high counterfeit rates like Fallkniven and some Spydercos. The box can help prove you have the real deal if you haven't earned enough trust in the community (low post count, low positive trade history, etc.)

Pharmagator likes this.
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Yes , collectors want the box and everything else that originally came with the knife !

sgt1372 likes this.
  11. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I usually don't ever sell anything but still keep the boxes and actually store them in their original boxes.

Pharmagator likes this.
  12. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    While I don't buy knives with the intention to resale them , your lawyer sounds like a moron and I'd fire him in a New York second.;)

13. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    In most of these type court battles . The lawyers win big . Woman gets the rest . Guess who loses ! :(

4mer_FMF likes this.
  14. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    very picky collectors love boxes, and if it has a teeny tiny crease they will return the item and give you a negative for not noticing it LOL

Mostly though, if you are going to resell, just do your best to keep it near mint, as most won't worry about little things

15. brancron

brancron Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I have way too many knives to realistically be able to keep the boxes. I never ask for boxes when buying, and when I'm selling, I politely tell people who care about the boxes to look elsewhere. I'd rather my knives be sent to people who will use them and enjoy them rather than hoard them along with their "box and papers."

sharp thoughts and evilgreg like this.
  16. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I keep any tins or wood special boxes. I toss my cardboard boxes. I figure the room to store them is not worth the little extra money I’ll get if I ever sell the knife.

It’s about the knife not the box.

Be glad you got to keep the knives in the divorce don’t sweat the boxes. Look forward not back. It’s healthier.

Pharmagator and orangejoe35 like this.
  17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Your more likely to sell a knife bnib than without (more people would like the box basically). But that's about it. Value may or may not decrease. It depends. Also collectors require boxes, so make sure your ads reflect no box so these people pass on the item. You don't want to deal with crazy collectors.

A buyer may talk you down due to no box and id consider that acceptable, but you don't have to depending on the rarity/popularity of the item.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  18. tony281sc2

tony281sc2

Feb 13, 2017
    The box absolutely has an effect on the value of the knife. I’ve sold a few knives on eBay and actually had one returned because the box was a little damaged! I now regret even just flattening a lot of my ZT boxes for storage, even though I kept the knives in new condition in a bag.
    If you’re going to keep them and not sell them though, who cares.

19. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't usually keep boxes unless they are something special, but then again I'm a user not a collector. To a person who doesn't understand the knife world, a box is just a box. It's important to keep in mind that although there may be some value in the original packaging, the lawyer most likely knows how the judge will react to different situations and thinks it is a bad idea to try to claim damages on something perceived to be petty. Sometimes it is a good idea to listen to the experts, it may cost you more to fight over it than you'd get back out of it.

Mo2 likes this.
  20. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Yes, the box has a value. As with everything that is considered collectible (watches, pens etc.) . No box = less (sometimes way less) value for a collector, but a user won't care.