Knife collecting - a lonely experience?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Dec 8, 2019.

1. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    So, I figured out where to meet others who like knives - at my local high-end knife store (Duh).

Rather than keeping to myself I’ve been asking other customers about their knives and everyone has been super friendly. They basically have the same “ solitude” problem as mine and they are looking to share the experience.

Kaizen1, CVamberbonehead and Aryan29 like this.
  2. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I love a good fountain pen.
    I went to a private school as a boy and they required us to use fountain pens. Teachers claimed it gave us better penmanship.

Sharp & Fiery, Tseg and WValtakis like this.
  3. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    The guy who owns around 20 Tac Force and Z-Hunter knives called himself collector earlier today.

I told him that he can't mean that seriously and got called an idiot for buying 2 knives for roughly same price as half of his collection...
    My response was that those 2 knives can outperform possibly his entire collection.

So we will do some tests like edge retention and other random stuff...
    My SK-5 Recon Tanto and 52100 Drop Forged Hunter vs mix of 10 knives from Z-Hunter, Tac-Force and S&W... it will be fun.
    Loser buys a lunch too lol.

CVamberbonehead and JDRanger like this.
  4. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    [​IMG]

popedandy and Aryan29 like this.
  5. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    Dup

6. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    A fountain pen and an Insingo...life’s good. :)

Tseg and WValtakis like this.
  7. Motega

Motega Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Part of the issue is that you won't find high end knives in many stores, low end Spyderco, Benchmade is where it ends. Working at a gun store I can tell you that anything besides big classic knives like Ka-Bars and stuff under $50 is what sells. We had the same dozen Spydercos and BM sitting in the cabinet for years because most guys won't shell out $100+ for a folder. They don't understand steel, don't know how to sharpen. Even good steel gets dull. If you rely on a factory edge and throw it in a drawer when it gets dull, $50+ for a knife seems insane.
    I tried about a half dozen sharpening systems and freehand worked best until I found the TSPROF. But my mediocre skills were all our hunting camp had and some of those guys were old timers that just never learned to sharpen knives.
    I tried gifting really good knives to my buddy who likes watches, and he has given me a few nice watches I couldn't care less about.
    I have an active knife club about 45 minutes away that meets up regularly, but I'd rather sit in the comfort of my home and talk knives at my leisure. Sure, I'd like to handle a Sebenza and a Strider and a few others, but at the end of the day I don't feel like we're missing out on too much doing it this way.

Aryan29, JDRanger and Crikeyyy like this.
  8. BLUEONBLACK

BLUEONBLACK Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I have an active knife club about 45 minutes away that meets up regularly, but I'd rather sit in the comfort of my home and talk knives at my leisure. Sure, I'd like to handle a Sebenza and a Strider and a few others, but at the end of the day I don't feel like we're missing out on too much doing it this way.[/QUOTE].

I bet this club is in city of water, wealth, contentment, health. I go there twice a week but never considered looking into another knife club before. At this point I’m willing to try anything to learn, thank you.

JDRanger likes this.
  9. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Hate to sound dense but how would one go about starting a local knife club?

Can you promote it on this site?

10. Motega

Motega Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Jerzee is my local club. Go on there and ask them. Or ask the town hall what free spaces the town offers... when I was into harvesting wild mushrooms some local granola club asked me to do a lecture on identifying edible mushrooms, I didn't charge them and I think they just asked the town what space was available. About a dozen people showed up, they put an ad in the local paper. I dunno about knives though, depending on where you live might be frowned on. I guess the first step would be to gauge interest in a local Facebook group or something.
    [​IMG]

11. BLUEONBLACK

BLUEONBLACK Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2019
    You must mean not knowing technical jargon because I’m having that same issue. I cut meat for Salisbury’s market for two years before they closed. I can skin a rabbit without flaw but doesn’t matter if you don’t know a guard from a butt.

12. dimiw1337

dimiw1337

Feb 25, 2019
    thats how i feel in europe! everyone here looks at me like im a dangerous murderer becouse i collect one of the oldest tools known to man! but tbh i dont really care, if it makes me happy its doing its job!

Polzeyboy and Smiling like this.
  13. ridnovir

ridnovir

Mar 12, 2012
    It is basically me, myself and I here in a Big Apple - if I show my collection to anyone they look at me funny, - so I tend to keep it low key.

JDRanger likes this.
  14. Tundraman

Tundraman

Sep 29, 2018
    I am a machinist and work at a company where we use some of these steels. M4, D2, S90V and 20CV to name some offhand. I was laidoff after 6 years when the economy took a dump and they barely had any work. I was rehired 5 years ago and the business is now booming. This second time around I met their new sales rep. who collects also. He has a good knowledge of all these steels and most of the up and coming super steels, as our company always strives to have the best product. He travels worldwide and has quite a few knives from other countries that he is always telling me about. Most I probably couldn't afford.
    I also have a brother who used to work at a gun store where he bought and sold guns. The top of one of his gun cabinets is full of old Pumas, all in their plastic boxes. He hasn't seen my collection recently and our conversations usually end up about guns. He is 2 hours away and we don't see eachother too often. I am excited to finish our basement and get my locking display up where I can finally get mine all together and he can see when he comes up.
    My wife's nephew is into knives too, but at 17, his collection is small and most of which is cheaper china made knives that remind me of the truck stop knives post. I show him everytime my EDC changes or I get a new one. Am trying to educate him as much as I can from what I learn. We got him an engraved Buck last year for Christmas. I am hoping he sticks with it but there's no telling at his age. He has potential as he is a big hunter and fisherman with his dad. We shall see.
    I do have a friend who has interest, knows a little, and likes what I have, but I know he isn't into it like me. Other than those, yes this is a pretty lonely hobby. None of who I mentioned do I see often enough where we can really sit down and B.S. about the subject and none have seen all I have. I guess our sales rep is the closest one who I talk to and knows his stuff. And he is away traveling for 2 or 3 weeks at a time for the company.

15. Byrom Hermo

Byrom Hermo

Apr 4, 2003
    I’ve gotten a few friends into knives over the years but none took it to the level I did. So, yeah, a solitary pass time.

16. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I have always liked knives. One of my life-long friends (we met in middle school) collects knives. We have made trips up and down the east coast attending knife shows and collectors reunions. I have made more friends through collecting knives than any other job, hobby or sport.

17. P D

P D

Dec 29, 2019
    Lonely is not being alone but the feeling that nobody cares. We are fortunate to have so many Knife enthusiasts in BF who actually cares. As far as I am concerned, I collect Knives for my own pleasure and joy; and because I care about the craft. Loneliness is meant to make one unhappy but collecting Knives just had the opposite effect on me personally.

popedandy and Aryan29 like this.
  18. cheesemaster

cheesemaster

Jun 29, 2012
    For what it's worth, there's a difference between loneliness and solitude...

19. KELAMA

KELAMA Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I can't emphasize enough, how much I dig this set up....& even more, your Patriotism! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And I've had 2 surgeries to repair ulner collateral ligament damage to injuries I sustained on my left thumb...I'm sure that I'll also be needing a replacement joint put in there someday.

As for this hobby, being a, "lonely experience."
    As long as I'm enjoying this hobby, that's all that really matters to me. I don't need anybody else's affirmation, for me to enjoy my passion for knives any more than what I already do.

22046870_1070512679752911_111479301372191488_n.jpg

JDRanger likes this.