Knife for dress pant carry?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by awmp, Feb 20, 2014.

1. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Lionsteel shuffler CF

Béma likes this.
  2. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I will second the proposition of a chaparral with its black wire pocket clip

However I recently acquired a massdrop gent
    The clip is not black but it is definitively something to consider too
    It is deep carry, the clip is very narrow and doesn’t look like a knife clip... almost looks like a pen clip
    The knife itself it light
    I think it can carry very well in suit

3. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I wear dress pants a couple times a week and found the only knife that really makes the cut (ha) is my Case mini trapper in a leather knife slip. I made the slip inside out with the rough side out. That way the slip stays in my rather slippery pockets.

Truth be told, I would think any classy looking smaller knife would do ok.

dc50 likes this.
  4. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    I go no clip with the few I have in rotation for office carry.
    Anything smaller works fine within reason.

5. reppans

reppans

Oct 25, 2018
    Shorter clips with wider belts carried AIWB deep conceals even large folding pry bars. Clip hides under belt; tucked shirt covers top of waistband (butt of knife) with the slightest blousing; belt anchors the weight directly to the body; and easy access from any position.

Deep pocket clips seem uncomfortable with this carry method though - when the edge of the belt lines up with the butt of the knife, it can dig a corner uncomfortably into your gut.

6. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    No clip carry with dress pants

Learn yo carry horizontal belt or IWB

7. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    It IS a one-hander, just not particularly fast-closing one. ;)

dc50 likes this.
  8. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    IWB (inside-the-waistband) with the clip is still clip carry, it's just not what we typically think of. A versatile clip should be able to handle it.

9. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    My wording was messed up :p I know the Tuff Lite is a one-hander, I was referring to the U2 as a two-hander. :D

10. I wear a suit every day at work, and the Gent is my standard carry. The clip doesn’t get any looks. It carries deep enough and looks enough like a pen clip that it’s super benign.

Therom likes this.
  11. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    What I should of said is fixed blade IWB carry I don’t carry folders IWB

12. CableGirl

CableGirl

Aug 19, 2018
    Ive never seen one with a clip but Ive always felt the appropriate article of stabby for the well dressed man was a classic black handled Italian auto.

13. Bill1170

Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    I seldom clip carry in dress pants. The Spyderco wire clips are kinder to fabric than the stamped clips are. If you’re wearing a jacket the clip is concealed by the jacket. Even more discreet, and easy to access from a seated position is clipped to shirt pocket or inside jacket pocket. For the shirt carry you really want thin and light, like the William Henry models with carbon fiber handles.

14. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Several good mentions already here, although the black clip is limiting and mostly disregarded--940 series, especially in CF; wire clip Spydies, as in the Sage series, again especially the CF models; Massdrop Gent; Mnandi either clipped or in a pocket slip. These are all knives I've gone to for carry with slacks.

Two that I often go to lately are the NorthArm Skaha and Cheburkov Strisch. Both are smooth in and out, stupidly light as linerless liner-locks, and give me a nice medium-sized blade big enough to be useful and good in hand but not overly large or threatening. The Skaha does have a very bright clip while the Strisch clip is very neutral.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    dc50 likes this.
  15. vox801

vox801

Jun 11, 2017
    Zieba 4FD4AA1C-8D48-47F2-9A84-56F918C7B30B.jpeg