Knife for in the garden

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Polliwog, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    My wife has tried several knives for tending her numerous plants and trees and decided the Victorinox Floral Knife works best for her. Chisel ground, straight edged, stainless steel.

[​IMG]

2. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    I would go with a combination of Korean Hog's, White Rhino's and KenHash's suggestions:
    Get her a Spyderco Pacific Salt Serrated and a quality Hori Hori knife.
    Not all Hori Horis are created equal, some are made of better materials.

Polliwog likes this.
  3. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    A $30 Case Sodbuster in stainless steel with yellow or orange Delrin handles might be a good choice.

Ace Rimmer, Polliwog and Bastler like this.
  4. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Polliwog likes this.
  5. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Polliwog likes this.
  6. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Spyderco's salt 2, dragonfly salt or native salt, fully serrated, easy to open, easy to close, good clip, cleans up with a spray of a garden hose or dunk in a bucket, easy to see color.

7. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    All of my personal garden knives have been mentioned.

Hori-Hori: For digging small plants or planting same, putting bulbs in the ground, popping weeds out of the ground, etc... 100x better than 99% of the run-of-the-mill "garden trowels" out there.

Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill: For light trimming, pruning, or harvesting. Also good for a lot of general cutting tasks like removing tags or getting through twine, burlap, or plastics. Cheap enough to not cry if you lose it.

Svörd Peasant: Have had one of these hanging in my garage for years with no special care for the carbon steel other than not putting it away wet. Beater knife for when a straight edge is preferred, or when you don't want to needlessly use a $150 folder to clean your lawnmower deck. Tough, easy to sharpen steel. Lots of color options on the poly scales, prefer them over the wood or alu.

Throw in a good quality set of pruners and a folding saw (like Felco,) and you're off to the races.

timberweasel and Polliwog like this.
  8. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I usually carry a Victorinox Walker around the yard and gardens. The saw blade is Handy for little pruning jobs. Won't rust and when it gets dirty just flush it under hot tap water.

[​IMG]

10. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    My suggestion stays the same: Mora - cheap and reliable.

I wouldn't use a folder in my garden.

Edgeoflife, Polliwog and Halfbaked94 like this.
  11. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Small Sebenza Insingo.

BIGDORK, Smiling and Polliwog like this.
  12. Halfbaked94

Halfbaked94 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Bare bones just did a new garden knife that looks pretty awesome, I find myself using my skrama or bk9 for hacking stuff back and for everything else whatever is in my pocket that day

Smiling and Polliwog like this.
  13. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    While all the mentioned options above would be fine in general, I think the most important factors to consider are:
    - the age of the user;
    - ease & safety to open/close the tool, even with garden gloves on;
    - ease to operate/effectiveness of cutting;
    - stain resistance;
    - maintenance requirement.

Taken all this together I still think the best options would be the Spyderco Pacific Salt Serrated (Spyder Edge) + a quality Hori Hori.
    Shears/prunes are nice, but rust resistance or maintenance could be an issue. Also, it is easier to cut bags, nip stems with the knife I suggested than with the shears: it will take several moves to cut with the shears vs. a single move with the knife.
    The SOG ParaShears is a nice multitool, but most of its tools are not easy to deploy or are not of particular use for gardening. Trauma shears are easy to operate, but are usually not very sturdy and they cut small sections at a time only.
    The Spyderco knife is light (vs. the Becker or other big fixed blade suggestions). The H1 steel is the MOST rust resistant metal of all the alternatives: a dunk in the water is enough to clean off dirt and you can leave it out to dry without any worries.
    Plant sap can be highly corrosive, the H1 steel will resist it very well. The Spyder hole is easy to access and operate, even with gloves on. Much easier to operate in cold weather than nail nicks for example.
    Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Polliwog likes this.
  14. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I’m a huge fan of good hori-horis, but since you specifically requested a folder—and given the tasks you describe—I’d suggest a Victorinox Floral knife. They’re easy to maintain, can be opened while wearing gloves, and are darn near rustproof.

Polliwog likes this.
  15. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    82B77816-E245-4202-BD9C-F5A957316A64.jpeg

K-Lastima, Halfbaked94 and Polliwog like this.
  16. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    The Victorinox Floral Knife is a very nice folder, but won't be so resistant to constant exposure to dirt/soil and sap as the Spyderco Salt knives, especially at the pivot area and the spring.

Polliwog likes this.
  17. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Skrama seems like an awesome blade for chopping, and BK9 is also a beast :D

Polliwog likes this.
  18. Halfbaked94

Halfbaked94 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Haven't found anything that out chops the skrama yet (other than an axe) best bang for your buck for a large chopper I think. And I just love the bk9 more for fun than anything :D

inkynate and Polliwog like this.
  19. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Hard to imagine my mom wielding my Skrama, but I'd love to see it!

Otoh, she's the one who gave me the Hori-Hori as a gift a few years ago, so maybe I shouldn't underestimate her. :)

Polliwog and Smiling like this.
  20. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    The Opinel Garden knife is the best place to start. The Victorinox floral knife looks like a good option but. cleaning the Opinel will be easier. 12C27 blade steel will work well for her.

Add a good pair of shears though, kitchen shears will work pretty good too.

And, finally a Mora or one of those Japanese knives might be worth a try as well.

Polliwog likes this.