Knife marking logo help needed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by grussingcustomknives, May 8, 2016.

1. grussingcustomknives

grussingcustomknives

Oct 22, 2015
    Hey guys so ive been making knives for a while just started marking my logo and i just cant get it right its fading and I can't get it right. Anyone else experienced it all help appreciated![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Stark Knives

Stark Knives

Mar 19, 2010
    Hey man!

Have you tried doing it on a satin finished part before? I have trouble with acidwashed blades but the satin ones are always perfect. I've had some luck etching pretty deep and then marking. It still blends in with the blade finish but you can see that there's a logo. Maybe someone else has had better luck with getting it to show up really nicely on a dark blade though.

3. Blaster-6

Blaster-6 Knife Engraver / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 2, 2015
    I run a small engraving shop, have a high powered fiber laser that could provide a nice dark surface annealing of your logo or even do a nice etch or deep cut. You're probably wanting to master this yourself, but here's an option.

4. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern

Jul 31, 2015
    with that finish, have you tried using the "etch" setting as apposed to just "mark"?

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Just to make sure:
    Clean the blade well with soap and water.
    Wipe logo area with denatured alcohol.
    Etch for a sufficient time - usually 30-120 seconds.
    Mark for sufficient time - usually 5-30 seconds.
    Neutralize, wash, oil, etc.

If doing a subsequent process, like FC etching, the darkening of the logo may be lost, but the etch should stay. In these cases, etch very deep. You can rub some marking fluid or other paint/varnish (often sold as background antique) in the logo after everything else is done.

6. deker

deker

Nov 14, 2005
    I always etch my logo by using short bursts (2-3 seconds) on the "etch" setting. Do 10 or so 2-3 second passes and it should be etched to several thousandths deep. Then switch to "mark" and do 3-5 passes in the same way. The short bursts (lifting the pad off and placing it back down) keep the bubbles from the etching/marking from bleeding out under the stencil too much and boogering things up around the mark. I usually have to clean up with 1000 grit paper after to clean up the slight discoloration around the mark, but it takes 10 seconds or so to do.