1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Knife smell

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Fourgates, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    I love my kukri, but can't seem to get rid of a certain metallic smell from one of the smaller knives. I've washed it with soap, dried, and again with no success. Any suggestions? I'd like to use it to cut up some food items if needed.

Thanks.

2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Its probably from being forged.
    I do not think it will contaminate your food, especially since you've washed it well.
    I would just go ahead and use it, unless it is completely bothersome.
    Perhaps it will lessen over time, especially if you store it out of the sheath for awhile.

3. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    The smell is migrating to my food as I cut. I'll leave it out and see if that helps.

4. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Well thats just dang odd.....
    Gonna haveta consult with auntie, but i'm pretty sure she doesnt have any extras.

5. sinsanity

sinsanity

Dec 17, 2010
    Maybe try oiling the blade with a food safe oil such as mineral oil? It may mask the smell

6. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I'd experiment with more washing and soaking in almost boiling water, followed by a vinegar bath for while, then neutralized with a baking soda paste.

7. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    Is that safe for the knife? Boiling won't harm the wood or glue?

8. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I recall a recent post saying that it took 25 minutes or so of continued boiling for the laha to soften enough to remove the handle. I'm only suggesting near-boiling water for washing and brief soaking. Then a soak in vinegar the way you would force a patina.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011