1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knives eating jeans

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shinyedges, Jan 9, 2018.

1. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I had my wife cut an older pair of jeans up and sew on a piece to all my jeans pockets. Even the newer ones.[​IMG]

I'm happy with how it turned out. As a plus it isn't to thick for one handed reinsert in to the pocket. It wraps around the pocket lip too, so a little extra protection for waving as well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Dangerously

Dangerously

Jan 8, 2013
    Good idea.

3. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Just ditch the clip.

mnblade and Ace Rimmer like this.
  4. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Hell no, I don't like things floating around in my pocket. Clipped knives are easier to retrieve. I won't own a modern pocket knife that doesn't wave, a clip is a must.

W. Anderson, Dallas T, bhyde and 4 others like this.
  5. cf1969

cf1969 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I kind of like the wear a pocket gets from a knife. Plus, I hate shopping, so the wear is a gauge to me of when I should buy new pants.

Cereal_killer likes this.
  6. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I'm frugal as hell, except when it comes to knives :D

Dallas T, 4mer_FMF, P2P and 1 other person like this.
  7. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    I only use a clip on larger knives, like when I am doing yard work. I carry smaller ones in the pocket, and usually remove the clip. I find that some G10 has a very rough, abrasive texture and wears holes in my pockets. I actually now prefer CF or FRN handles.

8. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    I've been having this problem too, and like your workaround OP. Here's another idea I'm going to experiment with, just ordered a pocket slip from Hitch and Timber, big enough to fit a good sized EDC like a PM2, Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, or ZT 0562.

https://hitchandtimber.com/listing/550494617/the-big-runt

cf1969 likes this.
  9. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Me likey.

10. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Where do you guys meet ladies that can sew and cook ;)

For those that can sew it would seem a bit of leather sewed over the pocket woul be the perfect solution

jbmonkey, matt009au and shinyedges like this.
  11. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I met mine in high school :cool:

I think leather would be ideal, the only draw back I see for leather is it stands out from the jeans. Although a black dyed leather may be attractive. I may have to give that a shot.

12. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    OP, what are the approx dimensions of the piece of denim that she sewed into your pocket? In other words, I assume it goes clear to the bottom of the pocket?

13. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Thankfully my 5.11 work pants have extra fabric sewn in the same spot which works great for clipping a knife and a flashlight. But another thing you can do to help with potential wear from pocket clip is to adjust the tension level on the clip. The easiest way I’ve found is if I get a knife with a tight clip I clip it to an almost used up roll of duct tape. Leave it on for awhile and check it periodically. Sometimes it only takes a few hours but sometimes it takes longer. Two days is the most I’ve had to leave it on to get the clip to my sweet spot of not too tight but not too loose.

Dair, shinyedges and maximus83 like this.
  14. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Nice! I actually switched to Duluth Firehose Pants and that seems to have solved the problem. They're more expensive, but super durable.

mnblade and shinyedges like this.
  15. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    It just goes over the lip, basically what you see on the outside is on the inside. Why would you need it to go all the way down?

16. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Been meaning to try a pair of those!

17. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I LOVE my 5.11 pants, my only beef with them is they stand out more than blue jeans. I once had a guy ask if I was security while standing in a hotel LOL

W. Anderson and Cryptyc like this.
  18. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great idea. Most of my jeans are tore up right there, because I personally like a tight clip. I guess I'm gonna have to teach myself how to sew!

19. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Here's what Wrangler does with their Riggs workwear work horse line. You can find them for around $20. at Gemplers.
    [​IMG]

gazz98, 4mer_FMF, matt009au and 2 others like this.
  20. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I wear 5.11's every day the knife pocket is great pen and knife go there easy to get to and put back and every other picked is big and reenforced

W. Anderson, maximus83 and shinyedges like this.