1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Kumar Kardas, Anyone have and use them?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by wildmanh, Aug 25, 2011.

1. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    I've been thinking about the Kumar Kardas that HI makes recently. Back in 2001 I got a matched set from Uncle Bill with carved wood handles. Gave one to my mom and one to my sister. Got my self a Horn handled one from Yangdu back in 2007 or 2008 that I've customized. My sister's KK has was lost for a long time and I just found it about 2 weeks ago. Turns out it got packed among some of my stuff when my mom moved into her new house in 2003. Since my sister has little kids that get into everything she left her KK in my care for a few more years and is allowing me to use it. :)

My Horn handled Karda saw some use when I lived it Provo. Mostly in the Kitchen or when I went to the shooting range. I think I'll take it and maybe my sisters Karda camping and hiking with me this fall. They are great general purpose knives.

So, who else has a Kumar Karda and uses them?

2. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    I've used my carved-handle in the kitchen also. I was surprised so thick a blade sliced so nicely. :)

It would obviously make a fine camp knife.

3. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    I have an old one made by Kumar. I didn't like the scandi grind, so I had it flat ground. Works much better now.

[​IMG]

The scabbard remains substandard though. I might have to ask you to make me a sheath one of these days.

4. SilverFoxKnows

SilverFoxKnows

Sep 25, 2002
    I love mine. I gave my first to an old high school buddy before he went back to the sandbox. I was then gifted one by a good Joe. Not sure what year it was made. I've used it in the kitchen and while camping. I dig that regrind.

Frank

5. javand

javand

Oct 17, 2010
    I've got one very similar to Kamagong's made by Kumar with the same style handle, but with more recurve/angle to the blade that I reprofiled to a full height convex grind. It's one of my main users.. I'll see if I can polish it back up and get a pic of it. Basically, the jist is, it's one of the most functional HI pieces for normal knife use IMHO. The handle is very comfortable, even if it's totally contrary to the US knifemaker's style, and it's one of the few knives where the large ricasso is useful, since the smooth transition through the khukri style bolster allows you to choke up on it comfortably for finer work.

Get one if you can, they're great knives. I've literally beating the crap out of mine, batoning stuff nearly as wide as the blade, and it's held up fine. Great user and a abuser.

6. wildmanh

Jul 9, 2000
    It's nice to see that some people are using theres. Pics are always welcome. I've posted some below.

Kamagong, thats a sweet regrind! How many Kami's have used the Flag of Nepal as their mark? I can't keep it straight. LOL!! Was going to say that my sisters was made by Kesar because it had that mark, but now I remember that it could have been Durba or someone else. LOL!

Here are some pictures of my sister and I's KK's. Mine is has the horn handle and custom sheath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine is a little shorter and slimmer then my sisters.
    [​IMG]

My sisters is mostly the same width from the bolster to about 1" from the tip. Mine on the other hand has a noticeable taper to it.
    [​IMG]

The handle on mine is comfortable but thin. The bell style handle on my sisters is more hand filling and feels better in my hand. Guess I'll need to do plenty of side by side tests to figure out which handle I like best. :)

7. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Heber,

I think you're right and my memory is playing tricks on me. My knife was probably made by Durba, not Kumar.

- Christian

8. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    I have one (on the bottom):
    [​IMG]

I've used it here and there, mostly to see how useful it was. I got it scary sharp (one reason I love 5160) and pounded it through some wood, did some cooking with it, etc.

Problem is, I'm kind of ADD with my HI blades. I'll pick one up I haven't used in a while and get all enthralled with it, then see another, and use it, and then. . .

Bottom line, other than my CAK, none of my HIs have seen that much use because I keep cycling through them like I'm on a Ritalin withdrawl or something.

9. wildmanh

Jul 9, 2000
    Either way, it's a good one! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing yours with us. My knives also get rotated so often I don't get to spend much time with them.

So, who else has a KK that they would like to share with us?

10. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I would love to see the KK and JKM-1 make a bit of a comeback. Fantastic everyday users for sure:)

11. raghorn

raghorn

Feb 23, 2002
    Mine has a horn handle carved in the shape of a fish. It sits on the fireplace mantle and gets used constantly every winter to baton kindling for the woodstove. I got it in a trade with a forumite a few years back, don't recall who, though.

12. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Norm has an over-sized JKM which is wonderful.

Somebody tickle him to get him to post an image. :)