KW CF/M4 Para2 Exclusive

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by ToxicBot11, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Sunyata

Sunyata

Mar 27, 2014
    That is hot.

All it takes is some sanding to get that?

2. Joe Manco

Joe Manco

Jul 6, 2016
    Maybe, I bought them like that.

3. Spydesense

Spydesense

Nov 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

My two latest purchaces.

4. osta.doc

osta.doc

Apr 30, 2013
    Mine was delivered yesterday, and it is a beautiful knife in every way. But, I have to say, this carbon fiber just doesn't do it for me. I have a Gayle Bradley, and in my eyes, that is what carbon fiber should be. Not this peel ply, I guess?

Anyone else share my view on that?

5. osta.doc

osta.doc

Apr 30, 2013
    This carbon fiber looks and feels more like G 10 to this old guy.

6. lead slinger

lead slinger

Mar 8, 2015
    I'm sure if it's an issue, you could sell the peel ply scales for a decent price and put it towards a smooth set of carbon fiber scales.

7. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I would prefer if it was polished carbon fiber. But no I wouldn't prefer the laminate found on the Gayle Bradley. Gayle Bradley has a thin layer of carbon fiber laminated to G-10.

8. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005
    The GB doesn't have solid Carbon Fiber. It has a thin layer over G10. Nothing wrong with that, but just letting you know it's not "what carbon fiber should be" since it only has a very thin layer of Carbon Fiber.

The peel ply(like on these) is solid Carbon fiber, and Instead of finishing with a smooth layer of resin impregnated fiber, a textured plastic film is used. Instead of being left there, that layer is peeled off, leaving behind the surface texture. Gives the handle better grip.

I'm like you though, and prefer a smooth finished or polished Carbon Fiber. It looks much better than the peel-ply(IMO), and grips just fine. I've had plenty of smooth Carbon Fiber knives, and they grip well, and especially so when wet or bloody.
    I would love to see a smooth Carbon Fiber Military or Para, but don't think they'll ever do that.

9. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    Or you can create one yourself! :) This is what peel-ply cf looks like if you sand the texture off.

[​IMG]

10. ejames13

ejames13

Mar 30, 2015
    That looks really sweet. Did you remove the scales to do that or just do it while fully assembled?

11. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks... I bought it secondhand, and I wanted to remove a few scratches and wear marks on the scales. I disassembled and used sandpaper on a glass sheet. Be careful, if you remove too much material, the screws will not sit flush afterwards. Luckily this was not a problem on the Military, but it might happen on this PM2 with its large screws.

12. NjMS

NjMS

Feb 8, 2016
    Mine has just arrived. It's okay but I expected near perfection on a knife of this value. My S30V PM2 is perfect. The M4 has required disassembly already as the non lock side steel liner was warped out about 1mm making it look not nested. Piece of debris in there, looked like CF. Blade is slightly off centre. I thought fixing the liner issue would fix that, nope. I'm in Australia so return is not a great option (hence not miffed about disassembly, warranty etc).

I'm not too worried as this will be my new user PM2 but still. For the price am I being unreasonable to expect decent QC.

M4 and CF sure are a great combo. This is my first peel ply CF and I really like it. Super grippy. I didn't think it would be grippier than G10 but to my hand it is.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

13. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Just make sure you either wet sand, ideally with running water, or do it outside with a real respirator. Carbon fiber dust is very bad stuff.

14. skivic

skivic Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes you do not want to breath that in pretty much like breathing in fiberglass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bin31z

bin31z

Aug 15, 2008
    This is by far the best Para2 I have. My S110V and Jade M4 both have a certain degree of lock stick sometimes, varies from opening to opening. This one is insanely smooth.

16. usaedcgear

usaedcgear

Feb 12, 2016
    looks like they are all sold out now

17. civicrr

civicrr

May 28, 2016
    Good thing. I was tempted to buy another......

18. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Far worse than fiberglass. Fiberglass has been studied in lungs more than any other material.

19. wright88

wright88

Dec 4, 2011
    Knifeworks website lists these as, "Temporarily Out of Stock." Does this mean they may do another run of these at some point down the line? Or possibly that they are sitting on a small number for returns/exchanges and may list those for sale at a future date? BladeHQ seemed to have a few of their Jade PM2s pop up after they initially sold out, I wonder if Knifeworks will do something similar.

20. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005
    It says that for all of their sold out Sprints and Exclusives. Even the recent CF 52100, and we know they'll be no more of those. Not sure why they put "temporary" on all of them.

I thought they got the full run in. I know they thought it would be around 300 to 400 on the first run, but then found out they would be getting them all, or 1000. I thought I saw 1000, but could be wrong. They could have another 200 coming in. If not they could have a few returns pop up.