Lady's Running Knife (looking for suggestions)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by steelhog, Jul 7, 2020.

1. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Have you guys ever seen one of these? It's a fanny pack made specifically for running. I have a different model, but you can pack what you want in it and it doesn't jostle around as you run. It will fit most folding knives in it.

[​IMG]

steelhog and FullMetalJackass like this.
  2. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    My wife walks and she carries a ZT0770CF. It's super light, fires open like a rocket, and she love it.

3. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    yeah I use a similar one, I can fit a phone, a knife and a lighter into it without having the horrible jostle. They work!

cchu518 likes this.
  4. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Same for me. The version I have has a back pocket for my wallet and knife,and keys and phone go on the outer facing pocket.

5. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    If it's for SD then I would ditch the knife idea and get her a small pink keychain canister of Pepper mace with the red dye in it. Way more effective without formal training. Just point, Spray, and run like hell screaming. IMHO A small knife in untrained hands is a recipe for disaster and could be used against her.

dirc, W. Anderson and Lee D like this.
  6. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I havent read this entire thread but I'd figured I'd chime in from prac-tac.

I am sure someone has already mentioned a small fixed blade, like the Emerson or Perrin LaGriffe, The Hideaway Knife (still available) or something like a CKRT Minimalist or Spew. I would not reccomend a folding knife for emergency self defense at all. Too slow to get into play. Fumble fumble, etc. You are going to want something that you can get out under stress and as fast as possible. My wife carries a Emerson Lagriffe and feels she could possibly use it to defend against an attacker. Knives in general are poor stopper (great killers though)

I'd go with pepper spray and a kubaton.

7. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Do you have a budget range? Based on your parameters, the Cold Steel Voyager (4” blade) should serve your wife well, and it’s a decent defensive tool. It’s tough and inexpensive. Aus10a steel isn’t the most rust resistant steel on the market, but it shouldn’t rust as long as you keep it clean and dry. On the plus side, you can also use it for jobs in the house.

For a strictly defensive blade however, I would probably recommend a fixed blade over a folder. When stress kicks in, you can screw up one-handed deployment and drop your knife. It’s less taxing on motor skills to simply yank out a fixed blade from a sheath.

This isn’t my business anymore, but would it be possible to get legitimate firearms training and a sidearm? This is a very deep rabbit hole, but firearms are generally more effective defensive tools than knives. Knife fights are always messy and usually not in your favor.

8. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Pepper spray and any sort of blunt implement (kubaton, baton, any sturdy stick) are good non-lethal options as well. A LOT of law-abiding decent people will hesitate before using a knife on another human being. Criminals will not. However, most folks shouldn’t have any problems spraying some thug in the face.

The best defense is still avoidance however. Don’t run in bad neighborhoods. If she can bring you or a couple of friends when running, all the better.

DocJD likes this.
  9. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Black Talon 2 fully serrated, according to Cold Steel , weighs just 4.8 ounces . That's not very heavy if you have a serious need for an SD knife . :p

DangerZone98 likes this.
  10. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Oh, my Dad bought a La Griffe couple of years ago haha. Honestly, I’m not confident betting my life on it. It’s too small and I don’t think it will deter a drugged up hostile. Wouldn’t wanna get tagged by it though, sure.

DocJD likes this.
  11. vjb.knife

vjb.knife Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2002
    How about this.

[​IMG]
    Oh sorry, that's not a knife. I would not send my wife out with a knife for SD. Using a knife is not as simple as thrust and slash.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Your speed of deployment is mostly about your level of training and preparedness .

A folding knife can be just as fast as anything else . Especially a "wave " type opener .

Practice , practice , practice ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    .380 semi auto, stainless steel. IWB holster.

14. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Without any added rhetoric, 2 cents, or peanuts from the gallery, she wants a nice running knife, I say get her one

LionSteel TRE;
    blade a tad under 3",
    handle a hair under 0.5" thick,
    Less then 2.5oz,
    m390 (corrosion/sweat resistence),
    Plus it's a flipper on ikbs bearings so should snap open with relative ease,
    and best of all, it's available in Pink!

Probably the best all around option available to check all the boxes; not too big, thick, or heavy for running, but still big and sturdy enough, with fast easy deployment in a worst case scenario.

A tad bit on the pricey side though, so just make sure she knows not to lose it while running...

W. Anderson likes this.
  15. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    Spyderco civilian

Or if thats too heavy, a spyderco matriarch. Reverse S curved fully serrated under 3" blade with lightweight handle, comes in at 2.5 ounces total

I'd be cautious to fight your wife wielding either

16. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    Maybe get some pepper spray too

Zulus likes this.
  17. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    In my silly one cent opinion - any small, medium knife is not enough !!!
    If your wife (anybody wife, mother, sister, any female) is going to confront rapist or killer
    with funny piece of bright metal without any serious skills in hand to hand combat -
    she lost already.
    Sorry.
    9mm and UP or Paul Hogan back pocket knife may help ...
    But MAY only.

vjb.knife and Smiling like this.
  18. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    FYI the OP already ordered a Spyderco Salt.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  19. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Well, I hope she'll never need it.
    It's still better than nothing, but far from the best self defense option.

I know everyone likes to suggest knives they like, but in reality, this isn't a great self defense choice because:
    1. It's a folder
    2. The tip isn't really the best for the application (I'd go with tanto or spear point)
    3. Knives aren't best self defense options in general, I personally carry a pepper spray for that purpose while knife is being mainly utility tool

Zulus and DangerZone98 like this.
  20. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    While I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, the original post spelled out features they were looking for. They ended up with the knife that fit those parameters.

And I agree, I hope they never need it for the role of self defense.

91bravo, Smiling and DangerZone98 like this.